PDA

View Full Version : Previous PPL training experience in 1982

hagleyhero
24th Oct 2011, 13:02
Hello everybody-not sure if this is the right place to post this.

Ive just come back to flying training after failing to complete my PPL in 1982 and I have been trying to find a few things out.

I did just over 20 hours dual in 1982 and a few hours solo is any of this countable towards the PPL now, as I am about to restart training?
Have there been any major changes in the PPL since 1982 in regard to the syllabus (not that I can find a syllabus anywhere)?

I am a bit confused about the PPL licence, there seemed to be only one in 1982, there seems to be several now, expiring, JAA, JAR, non expiring and now I understand its all changing again next year so if anyone could give me a simple explanation of what is going on I would appreciate it-many thanks

B2N2
24th Oct 2011, 13:21
I can give you the US answer in case you are interested in finishing up stateside.
All of your hours count towards the issuance of a certificate, HOWEVER......the hours will be of no use.
1982 is 30 years ago, you will need to do all of the training since none of that experience has stuck sufficiently to be of any benefit/advantage during your training.
Make sense?

hagleyhero
24th Oct 2011, 15:12
Thank you-interesting I wasnt intending to go US.Oh I think some of the experience stuck but thankfully that school went bust along time ago.

Whopity
24th Oct 2011, 16:24
As B2N2 says the experience will be of little use after so long however; the JAA Rules (JAR-FCL 1.015) state:Training performed after 8th
October 1996 and in accordance with all the
requirements of JAR–FCL and associated
procedures shall be accepted for the
issuance of JAR–FCL licence and ratings,
provided that licences in accordance with
JAR–FCL shall not be issued until after 30th
June 1999.No mention of any training conducted back as far as 1982! Of course JAR-FCL did not exist then but training really hasn't changed so it was largely compliant. The UK CAA has not disallowed older training but under the new EASA rules the following will apply:Article 8
Credit for training commenced prior to the application of this Regulation
1. In respect of issuing Part-FCL licences in accordance with Annex I, training
commenced prior to the applicability of this Regulation in accordance with the Joint
Aviation Authorities requirements and procedures, under the regulatory oversight of
a Member State recommended for mutual recognition within the Joint Aviation
Authorities' system in relation to the relevant JAR, shall be given full credit provided
that the training and testing were completed by 8 April 2016 at the latest.
2. Training commenced prior to the applicability of this Regulation in accordance with
Annex 1 to the Chicago Convention shall be given credit for the purposes of issuing
Part-FCL licences on the basis of a credit report established by the Member State in
consultation with the Agency.
3. The credit report shall describe the scope of the training, indicate for which
requirements of Part-FCL licences credit is given and, if applicable, which
requirements applicants need to comply with in order to be issued with Part-FCL
licences. It shall include copies of all documents necessary to demonstrate the scope
of the training and of the national regulations and procedures in accordance with
which the training was commenced.
Have there been any major changes in the PPL since 1982 No, the JAA adopted the AOPA syllabus borrowed from the RAF circa 1954 and EASA have copied that. A reduction in Instrument flying, and the addition of radio navigation training are the only significant changes. There is one combined Skill Test and the order of some items has also changed.

There have never been any JAA theoretical questions and there will never be any EASA questions so its an old UK PPL with a new sticker on the front.
not that I can find a syllabus anywhere Try here (http://www.pooleys.com/prod_list.cfm?product_category_id=2&product_sub_category_id=7&menuHold=8)