PDA

View Full Version : Aus and NZ Charts/Plates

seneca208
24th Oct 2011, 06:11
Hi guys,

Looking at making the move over to Aussie in search of a job, however I'm having a little trouble understand all the charts/plates etc.

So, in NZ we have Volumes 1-4, containing the aerodrome plates, DAPs etc. From what I understand, Australia has DAPs East and West, for all the IFR stuff,
AIP package for all the procedures etc, and an ERSA- equivalent of Volume 4, will all the aerodrome plates and basic information.

However, compared to the Vol 4 in NZ, the airport diagrams seem to be quite basic. I guess not as much information is required?

In terms of charts, we have the VPC, and the VNCs, ranging from 1:500000 down to 1:125000. From what I can see, in Aussie, WAC cover a very broad range (similar to the VPC for planning?) and maybe used for Navigating outside control zones? VNCs for navigation in control zones, then the terminal area charts for the obvious.

I assume for going north, the basic thing to have would be the ERSA, required WACs and maybe a VNC for the Darwin area?

Thanks in advance.

Ben

Grogmonster
24th Oct 2011, 10:45
Ben,

Buy an IPad and install Ozrunways. The App is about $139 Aussie. No further effort or cost involved. For further info refer to a thread in this section called Ozrunways. It is brilliant.

Groggy

Capn Bloggs
24th Oct 2011, 12:06
And the AIP book.

Re airports, ERSA has all you need if you're VFR; Aerodrome charts in DAP (Departure and Approach Procedures) have more graphical detail but are not necessary for VFR.

IPad and install Ozrunways. The App is about $139 Aussie. No further effort or cost involved.Apart from trying to explain your lack of documents when you get ramp checked by CASA. :cool:

mattyj
25th Oct 2011, 04:10
Just use the beauracrap 2011 app (TM) available from the iTunes app store..click on the icon and the ipad auto detects anyone in the immediate area with higher than normal pedantic tendancies and choose the execute function to evaporate them..simple

Grogmonster
25th Oct 2011, 06:06
Bloggs,

You are wrong on that count. CASA legal says they cannot see any reason why you cannot use Ipad as long as you have backup which is your Iphone. All documents including AIP and DAPs are on Ozrunways. I am aware of at least a few CASA FOI's using Ozrunways.

Groggy

Capn Bloggs
25th Oct 2011, 07:31
You are wrong on that count. CASA legal says they cannot see any reason why you cannot use Ipad as long as you have backup which is your Iphone.
Put it in the regs and I might use one.

Oh, did CASA have any workaround for when the recent ios5 update dumped parts of ozrunways without warning, or did I read the other thread wrong? Or will you have an SOP that updates one device only until you've worked out if uncontrolled, unmanaged updates on one of your private devices don't stuff your documentation?

I'm all for electronic gizmos to lighten the load (and stop these incessant Jepp paper amendments that often just fix their own stuffups), but until CASA officially approves them, they do not, IMO, comply with the regs.

LeadSled
25th Oct 2011, 08:28
Pay for the Ozrunways sub. Online and not from the AppStore and it is much cheaper, about aud$112, Apple don't get their exhorbitant commission of about 33percent.Tootle Pip!!!

Folks, doesn't Bloggsie hate the idea of change or anything new.

Bloggsie, read CAR 233 as it is writ - or are you unable to do anything without a pat on the head from CASA ----disclaimer, this does NOT include AOC operations unless the docementation is approved in the Ops. Manual.

CASA approves the documentation source/producer, not the method of carriage.

Grogmonster
25th Oct 2011, 09:54
Bloggs,

I take your point and I see your logic but if you are conducting an IFR flight on a nice day to a regular destination that you are ultimately familiar with I would have a little bet with you that your documents don't ever see the light of day. So why carry a heavy brief case that you never open when you can carry an Ipad that you will use because the information is very easy to access and you can be sure that you didn't miss a page on that last amendment that you did on the paper charts.

I am not sure about the issue with OS 5 as I always wait for a while before downloading data upgrades for that very reason. Once the bugs are ironed out I will consider doing so.

Groggy

Capn Bloggs
25th Oct 2011, 12:29
Why worry about a lot of things, GM. Flying would be so much better/easier for me if I took the same attitude...

Ledslead, if 232 does apply to ipads, it is illegal to use them. As for 233h, I'm reasonably sure that Baswell has not been "approved in writing" to publish documents for operational use! :}

Speaking about "as rit", I can't see "AOC" mentioned in those regs so what are you mentioning it for? They apply "as rit" to all operators. I also vaguely remember you having a meltdown when we said one doesn't have to comply with AFM procedures, because that "was rit" in the preamble. Why can't you be consistent with your musings and pontification? :confused:

Windshear
25th Oct 2011, 13:02
Bloggs it's time you called in to the O'Neil onshore detention centre for some serious rehab.... Windy :D:ok: