PDA

View Full Version : Air Show Accident 1983/1984

no-ones_princess
22nd Oct 2011, 20:00
To cut a story that could become verbose as short as I can I was at a formal function over a week ago and was placed beside an RAF dinosaur whom was telling me of an Aircraft Accident on the way to an Air show that happened in August September 1983/1984. Due to a few too many aperitifs and more fizzy stuff than is ladylike ;) I am vague on the particulars of the accident and would not like to expand on the little I remembered for fear of offending someone, I did not want to interrogate him at the time as I suspected it could become an emotional subject (it had got to that time of night) :ouch:

My curiosity was sparked because I have heard many stories of crashes from the old and the bold but this one had nothing that identified it as one I had heard of before.

I have used Google and I am unable to find any record of this crash if anyone could point me in the direction of information I would be grateful as I would prefer to believe that the ’old boy’ is not going out of his mind when I see him in a few weeks time. :ok:

5 Forward 6 Back
22nd Oct 2011, 20:11
No-one's Princess,

This (http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/9E71DB93-7E7F-4DA8-BED0-5AF92DB58DC3/0/maas83_14_lightning_f3_xp753_26aug83.pdf) might be what you're looking for. A Lightning crash, 26 Aug 83, on its way to the Teeside airshow.

For reference, the MoD website has Military Aircraft Accident Summaries all the way back to the 70s. Top page is here. (http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/AboutDefence/CorporatePublications/AirSafetyandAviationPublications/MAAS/)

MG
22nd Oct 2011, 20:11
RAF dinosaur Hmm, very complimentary. I'm now scared to show my face as I joined only the year after the accident (whichever one it was).

TEEEJ
22nd Oct 2011, 20:17
Have a look on Military Aircraft Accident Summary (MAAS)

For 1983 see page 8.

Ministry of Defence | About Defence | Corporate Publications | Air Safety and Aviation Publications | MAAS | 1980s (http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/AboutDefence/CorporatePublications/AirSafetyandAviationPublications/MAAS/1980s/)

Ministry of Defence | About Defence | Corporate Publications | Air Safety and Aviation Publications | MAAS (http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/AboutDefence/CorporatePublications/AirSafetyandAviationPublications/MAAS/)

From

Ministry of Defence | About Defence | What we do | Air Safety and Aviation | Military Aircraft Accident Summary (MAAS) (http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/AboutDefence/WhatWeDo/AirSafetyandAviation/MilitaryAircraftAccidentSummarymaas.htm)

If the accident involved an ejection then see following.

http://www.ejection-history.org.uk/

Apologies 5 Forward 6 Back as I didn't see your post earlier.

TJ

Old-Duffer
23rd Oct 2011, 06:13
no-ones princess,

If you want to PM me with a little more detail, I'll try to track it down for you.

I've compiled and published a number of books dealing with aircraft operating accidents so might be able to throw up the answer you want.

Old Duffer

BOAC
23rd Oct 2011, 07:24
"it had got to that time of night"

"when I see him in a few weeks time"

More! Give us more!:)

Squealing Pig
23rd Oct 2011, 07:43
Didnt a Varsity crash on the way to Liverpool airshow in the early 80s?

dat581
23rd Oct 2011, 08:11
Wasn't the second F/A-18B lost on it's way to Farnborough in the early 1980's?

no-ones_princess
23rd Oct 2011, 10:27
Thank you to all that have contributed your diamonds (A girls best friend but full of flaws) ;)

5 Forward 6 Back Marvellous Thank you it would appear that this sounds like the accident as I am lead to believe a pilot died (RIP) fits like a .... yeah it fits nicely :ok:

TEEEJ - Thank you most sincerely for contributing to my knowledge on the macarb subject of Aviation Accidents :8 much appreciated your super. x x

MG - Sweething obviously you have not served long enough to be classed as an RAF Dinosaur which is a term of endearment and not slanderous or malicious! :p Bit sensiative how do you get on in a crewroom? Bet your a barrel of fun or is it the butt of all jokes LMAO *this user is teasing MG*

BOAC - No, nothing quite so salacious := I just have a flirty turn of phrase. :)

See you all in another 5 years or so when something else captures my interest for 10 minutes.

x x x

BOAC
23rd Oct 2011, 10:38
I shall remain a 'DDD' for another 5 years.

Dengue_Dude
23rd Oct 2011, 10:41
shall remain a 'DDD' for another 5 years.

I hope you're not quoting a bra size here . . .

jamesdevice
23rd Oct 2011, 10:46
"Wasn't the second F/A-18B lost on it's way to Farnborough in the early 1980's?"

1980 or early 1981 I think. No later. It was the day chosen for me to be interviewed at Normalair Garret (now Honeywell) - and the interviewer was only too keen to get rid of me and find out what had gone wrong. Needless to say, I failed the interview.

BOAC
23rd Oct 2011, 10:55
I hope you're not quoting a bra size here . . . - YOU'RE the one on the ladder..........................

Two's in
23rd Oct 2011, 14:59
Wasn't the second F/A-18B lost on it's way to Farnborough in the early 1980's?

Sep 1980 - It was leaving Farnborough on its way to Torrejon, Spain, lost a donk over Basingstoke, tried to divert to Boscombe but the crew had to eject next to Middle Wallop.

diginagain
23rd Oct 2011, 18:38
..........and the now-UAV performed quite an interesting display before finishing up in a heap outside the OM.

sisemen
24th Oct 2011, 01:02
I suppose that the accident report into the Vulcan that collapsed on the pan at Finningley in the mid 60s because of a faulty undercarriage micro-switch is too early to be included in today's computer age?

I was walking past the thing when it decided to do a static wheels up and broke into 3 pieces.

ksimboy
24th Oct 2011, 07:23
Interesting to see no mention of Albert mid-air with RN Sea King on MOD website. Am sure there must be a good reason?

Halton Brat
24th Oct 2011, 09:48
Such a sad Nom-de-Plume.........will you be my Princess?

HB

BOAC
24th Oct 2011, 10:57
Nah - she ain't biting (me or any other dinosaur..................:))

no-ones_princess
24th Oct 2011, 12:51
Thank you Old Duffer Sweetness you are Fabulous :ok: I look forward to reading all you have written. :8 I am sincerely grateful for your kindness and your all efforts. Love and Light x x x

BOAC - Drink Drugs and Diease free well if thats the best you have to boast about. ;) Or did you mean Drama, no given your lifes history you must have meant the first. Awww Bless you x

HB - Have you not got a goat to groom? := You have misinterpertated the name it is a warning NOT an invitation.

OUT.

Halton Brat
24th Oct 2011, 13:03
Crashed & burned again........story of my life.........back to the goat (my beloved Baaaaarbara)

HB

BOAC
24th Oct 2011, 13:12
Drink Drugs and Diease free well if thats the best you have to boast about - yes - freedom from a Welsh laxative does sound better than Desperately Depressed Dinosaur.

OVER

HB - mine's called Billy - am I doing something wrong?

Halton Brat
24th Oct 2011, 13:15
Better On A Camel, old boy, as you well know!

HB

BOAC
24th Oct 2011, 14:57
Aye, Sir, but if you are not quick you'll get an ugly one.

Your turn.................:)

Smudger
24th Oct 2011, 16:55
Princess, methinks some spelling and grammar lessons would be in order, then perhaps we could all give your posts some credit (from another old RAF dinosaur).

BOAC
24th Oct 2011, 17:13
I say, Sir, a bit harsh on a young filly, what? Just needs a good smacking, I say! Where's that horse whip?

(Actually I think I recognise the posting style, you know.................?)

no-ones_princess
24th Oct 2011, 17:30
Smudger - I was unaware that Pprune is an English exam cleverly disguised at an Aviation forum! :eek: My mistake, obviously. ;) In future I shall take more care! NOT. Life is too short to worry about wee dots and dashes on a forum!

Lets face it with the attitude I am displaying I am not here to make friends or indeed even influence anyone? :p 

Come on Smudger, old grumpy fella turn that frown upside down. You know you want to.

BOAC - I remember you too. My user name gives me away!

Two's in
25th Oct 2011, 16:55
PPRune - Always ready to cut people some slack...

http://nikonites.com/attachments/off-topic/4846d1312394531-attack-canada-stag-albums-random-stuff-picture170-spelling-nazi.jpg

no-ones_princess
27th Oct 2011, 14:44
Dearest OD,

Thank you for your kind and thoughtful gift, the parcel arrived this afternoon and already has given me an immense amount of pleasure. I really did not imagine it would be so thick, it is a real squeeze fitting it in my 'sacmagique.' I really have enjoyed it and as I have started I will certainly have to finnish!

I will let you know how I get on sometime in the near future!

Fondest regards

No-ones_Princess x x x

Tinribs
28th Oct 2011, 14:03
I was at Fin when that hapd, on a victor ground school, same OCU for ground school

Seems the gear came up when they started the engines messy

The initial post might just be about a lightning that went daft after take off from binbrook for a scampton fly past. Should have joined a tanker at low level but went past upside down and straight in, very odd, very messy, very final.

I was the co in the tanker