PDA

View Full Version : Flight Instructing + Caribbean ?

stealth114
22nd Oct 2011, 16:54
I have checked Briko Air since they are usually always taking on CFI's... They took on two lately and will not be hiring at present but I will keep trying. Anyone knows of other flight schools within the Caribbean that may be taking on instructors. 400 + hours here with commercial ratings and residing on the Islands and wanting to get a feel for things out there..... Bashers or anyone with negative comments to post, dont even think about it please, keep walking.. Dont need it ! Just here trying like everyone else and keeping a positive frame of mind and persisting..

Recently did the conversions locally in POS.

LimaFoxTango
22nd Oct 2011, 20:36
If your living somewhere other than Trinidad, good luck with Briko. Trini's are notorious for hiring their own only (not that I can blame them really). The only other flight school I know of is in BGI, Barbados Light Aeroplane Club. From what I know, they only train up to PPL and I doubt they have a large student population to begin with to warrant hiring outside instructors.

If your goal is to fly commercially, your options are limited to LIAT, CAL and SVGAir. Right now, LI is no position to hire and for CAL, well, see my above statement. SVGAir doesn't hire very often, but they do take on a few guys every now and then. I've known a few people who fly around with them on dead legs as trainee's to "keep their hands wet". Trying giving Anguilla Air Services or Air Montserrat a call. They both fly Islanders and maybe they'll allow you to fly around with them. I havent said much about Winair because I don't know much. I have heard that they'll only take you if you have a Twin Otter type rating.

Right now the aviation industry in the Caribbean isn't the best, but it's not the doom and gloom that people may think. In another year or two I think it should pick back up again. Just keep your hands wet and keep at it is my two cents to you.

stealth114
22nd Oct 2011, 21:00
Thank you Lima....... And as you said, Im doing my best to keep my hands and feet wet and keeping current because though things are slow now, they will pick up and I want to be ready for when the flood gates open.. So I think Im in a good position... Not getting discouraged because it will happen..

Also, thats new to me but interesting to know on Air Anguilla and SVG air.. I will give them a call but I think going in person too might be a good option too!