PDA

View Full Version : Cathay information

Hopefull65
21st Oct 2011, 06:55
I have an interview with Cathay and want to find out as much information as I can about living and working in Hong Kong.

I am married with 2 young children so I would need at least a 3 bedroom place. My wife after a year would like to work part time so we need to knowthe following:

Good areas to live
Approx rentals furnished/unfurnished in those areas
international school fee charges
child care charges
Cost of public transport to get around

Do Cathya pay housing and scholl/childcare allowances? If sao how much? I will be a second officer so approx what is the salary?

A lot of questions I know but all the help I cna get would be handy... Cheers

schweizer2
21st Oct 2011, 07:07
hey,

First of all I do not work for CX. but I have been following their thread section which has lots of information on what you want. It is in the Fragrant Harbour Forums (http://www.pprune.org/fragrant-harbour-forums-100/) section. All your answers will be there.

Feel free to read all the information there befor posting a similar post about what the SO package is or be prepared for some forum blasting!

best of luck.

Jim-J
21st Oct 2011, 20:03
It's all in the FH forum. No need to even dig deep..... Do your homework!

grandescojones
26th Oct 2011, 14:05
Hi

Sorry to p1ss on your fire but here goes...

Do not underestimate the cost of living in Hong Kong it is crippling. Look at propertysquare.com.hk. You're looking at $20 to $30k for a 3 bed place in areas like Tung Chung or Discovery Bay which are near the airport and popular with gweilos. If you want to live downtown I recently saw a tenement (yes it was advertised as a tenement) on said website, a bargain at $20k a month in Wanchai.

On a SO salary and family to support you will in all seriousnesss be on the breadline.

be aware that there is almost no such thing as part time work for Mums here in HK. It's all or nothing mate. Most remain full time mums even though they desperately want to work, part time. Unless her skillset means she can do freelance it's a tough call. Basic part time jobs like shop assistant at your local 7/11 are not worth getting out of bed for.

Positives: HK is a great city and good quality of life, low crime, it's dynamic exciting and the expats are a nice bunch. Locals are very family friendly. Beer from supermarkets is plentiful and cheap. Warm 9 months a year.

Do your homework thoroughly, read posts on here and on asiaxpat, you nail the SO job you know what you are getting yourself into. Good luck.