PDA

View Full Version : Non consecutive seat row numbering

Just a spotter
20th Oct 2011, 09:49
Recently, while sitting in row 12 of a short haul fight, and having just finished listening to the safety briefing, I looked back to note the nearest emergency exit, which was behind me, row 16 to be precise.

Right, I thought, 4 rows back. During the flight, I noticed that the row directly behind me was row 14. So the emergency exist was 3, not 4 rows behind me.

Now, maybe I'm dwelling on a problem that isn't a problem, but; could this non consecutive numbering of rows be a safety concern? Had I not noticed the missing 13 and had there been the need to evacuate in darkness or smoke I'd have counted 4 rows and ended up past the exit and obstructing those moving forward towards it.

k3lvc
20th Oct 2011, 10:48
IIRC Row 13 tends now to exist on most airlines - I noticed recently on Swiss that rows 18-24 don't exist on their A320 fleet - any thoughts/explanations ?

dubh12000
20th Oct 2011, 11:12
I've noticed that beofre with Swiss. I always thought it must have something to do with the fact that they are there on the 321s. Swiss don't have the 13th row either.

LGWXOPSA
20th Oct 2011, 11:56
When in Cabin crew training, I was advised that the row 13 was skipped due to here in the UK 13 being thought of as an unlucky number ........

VS-LHRCSA
20th Oct 2011, 12:23
There are many and varied reasons why seat numbers are not consecutive. In reality, when the safety brief is telling you to count the number of seats between you and the exit, it means physical seats, not the seat numbers. Think about it, if you are crawling through a smoke filled cabin, you're not going to be looking at the seat numbers that are way up at the lockers or on the PSU, are you? You're going to be on the floor, counting seat legs.

L'aviateur
20th Oct 2011, 17:53
I recall when i first flew Egyptair and was outraged that I'd been downgraded from business class to row 15 or something, only to find when I boarded that it was business class and the number started mid way. Oh well .

PAXboy
20th Oct 2011, 19:48
triskaidekaphobia
(tris - kai - deka - phobia)
Noun. extreme superstition regarding the number thirteen.
– ORIGIN 20th century: from Greek treiskaideka ‘thirteen’ + -phobia.

Oxford Concise Edition. 10 (what will they do when they get to 13?)

Hartington
21st Oct 2011, 12:48
Two things here. First I seem to remember flying on an airline which had a range of Airbus narrowbodies (probably Swiss or British Airways) and noticing that the rear row was always numbered the same (36?) and that therefore several rows were missed in the middle on the smaller versions.

Secondly I was on a Varig(!) 737 where the seats were ABC HJK!

jackieofalltrades
21st Oct 2011, 13:10
I'd echo VS-LHRCSA's comments. Whenever I fly I always count the number of rows to the exit in front and behind me. I also check to ensure the life jacket is under the seat.
Just takes a few seconds to do this, but could save your life in an emergency.

PAXboy
21st Oct 2011, 13:27
Agreed, jackieofalltrades, I do that BUT - as I get older, I find I can no longer remember the number of rows, even by the time we are turning onto the active. :eek:

But I am sure of the direction in which to turn from my row and anticipate that the exit row will be noticeable by bumping heads with folks coming the other way as I crawl along. Also, I expect that the door/s will be apparent with air/sound directing me. :confused:

Now, where is nurse with my medication and to push me down the hall to the bath room ... :sad:

Peter47
21st Oct 2011, 18:28
I think that it may have something to do with making it easier to reassign seats in case of equipment change. Rather than a garbled explanation call up the seat maps for BA 747 Hi & Low J on seat guru.

SeatGuru Seat Map British Airways Boeing 747-400 52-Bus. (744) (http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/British_Airways/British_Airways_Boeing_747-400_C.php)

SeatGuru Seat Map British Airways Boeing 747-400 70-Bus. (744) (http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/British_Airways/British_Airways_Boeing_747-400_B.php)

You will see that there are no rows 6 - 10 so that a row with single a digit is first.

In the Low J version there are no rows 21 - 27, in the High J version only row 32 is missing. This means that rows 17 - 20 are always J and 28 - 53/55 Y. There are no rows 56 - 59 but when a FA sees rows 60 upwards they know to show the passenger upstairs.

I've probably not made myself clear so have a look at the maps.

Northwest DC9s used to have ACDE&F but no B. Thus if one were substituted for a 727 / 320 you would only have to reissue boarding passes for B seats. You know that A&F seats are window seats and C&D aisle if flying on a narrow body.

I would imagine that the reason for Varig's lettering is that firstly I can be confused with 1 hence HJK. Then then know that A&K are window seats, C&H aisle and so on. DEFG will only appear on wide bodies.

In my experience the American's have a greater fear of the number 13 than the Europeans and you will not have a flight 13, 13nn, nn13 etc, no Gate 13 & so on.

I presume that you still get a boarding card sequence 13. Life could get rather confusing if it is excluded.

The fact that this is my post 113 is pure coincidence.

Rwy in Sight
21st Oct 2011, 20:05
Why some airlines drop some letters on 2+2 seats over 3+3. Explanation: one airline has ABC DEF on an Airbus, and AC DF on a Dash instead of AB CD?

Rwy in Sight

EEngr
23rd Oct 2011, 01:01
Secondly I was on a Varig(!) 737 where the seats were ABC HJK!

Hmm. I wonder if Varig doesn't have a common spec for seats for their 737s and maybe 747s. The 747 seats would be numbered ABC DEFG HJK. When they stock spares, they can use the same seats for either model.

Hartington
23rd Oct 2011, 05:15
At the time, my thinking about Varig did relate to wide versus narrow bodies but had more to do with programming their reservations system and the idea that it didn't matter if it was a wide or narrow HJK was always going to be aisle,middle,window.