PDA

View Full Version : Permanent US Base in Oz?

Buster Hyman
20th Oct 2011, 02:17
Smith flags US Military presence in Territory

The Federal Government has confirmed it is in talks with the US about stepping up an American military presence in the Northern Territory.
Defence Minister Stephen Smith is in Darwin today to talk with the Territory Chief Minister Paul Henderson about increasing the number of joint training exercises involving Australian and US defence personnel.
Mr Smith says the United States is also looking at positioning equipment in the Territory so troops can play a greater role in disaster relief in the Asia Pacific.
"The closer you can pre-position stores and equipment for disaster relief and humanitarian assistance, the more quickly you can get in to the field," he said.
Mr Smith says there have also been discussions about buying land near Robertson Barracks in Darwin for this purpose.
He says there are plans for more American boats, planes and troops to visit or be based in the Territory.
"We have been working closely to look at the possibility of more training, more exercises," he said.

So, if Indonesia gets ambitious, they'll have something else to think about perhaps? :E

500N
20th Oct 2011, 03:03
Permanent US Base in Oz?

Are you talking about a full on base or just pre positioning of stores / equipment ?

If a full on base, I doubt it, why would they need go to all the expense when they have us here and can fly in whenever they need.
IF pre positioning of stores / equipmen, this was announced as possibly going to or actually going to happen ages ago.

The Americans do like visiting us, that's for sure.

Buster Hyman
20th Oct 2011, 04:26
Depends on your definition of Base I suppose.

I guess it's clearly flagged for positioning, but who knows what it could end up as. As regards "ages ago", I agree, but I don't recall a Minister referring to such a facility before. I could be wrong... (I was wrong once before)

hoofie
20th Oct 2011, 04:32
Don't worry - our current leader, Bob Brown, would never allow it; it's in their manifesto.

CoodaShooda
20th Oct 2011, 04:34
He says there are plans for more American boats, planes and troops to visit or be based in the Territory.

Interesting choice of words.

Used to be said that Cyclone Tracy never happened. The damage was caused by the unfortunate co-incidence of payday at every pastoral lease in the top end. :)

I'm now wondering how we locals will respond to the co-incidence of an oil/gas boom and the arrival in strength of US Forces .

Angeles City anyone?

500N
20th Oct 2011, 04:44
March 2011
JULIA Gillard said yesterday she was "enthusiastic" about a greater US military presence on Australian ... PM enthusiastic about more military bases in Australia ...

And a few other "announcements" like basing a US Warship in Darwin as it's home port.

I wonder whether Tindall would be expanded or maybe one of the other vacant or semi vacant airstrips around the top end.

I always thought that basing US Troops on a PERMANENT basis (outside of what we already have based here on a permanent basis) was not on the Agenda. It will be interesting to see what happens re this.

Re "Bob Brown", now the US has got rid of the DADT, he'd be happy as he could openly serve with or "service" his "mate".:rolleyes: :=

rh200
20th Oct 2011, 04:53
I thought "base" was a dirty word, the new in term is "hub".:p All fine if they bring some women with them.:)

Cows getting bigger
20th Oct 2011, 05:19
Wouldn't you guys have to ask Queenie first? :eek:

Buster Hyman
20th Oct 2011, 06:46
Wouldn't you guys have to ask Queenie first? http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/eek.gif
Yes...Hoofie already mentioned him.

Gnadenburg
20th Oct 2011, 08:07
I'm not keen on having American troops based permanently on our shores.

However, it makes for cheap defence and we need to draw the Americans further south anyways since our Admiralty has left us short on promised naval capabilities.

Buying Growlers is an interesting potential development-

RAAF fighter-bombers to become 'Growlers' | The Australian (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/defence/raaf-fighter-bombers-to-become-growlers/story-e6frg8yo-1226170085768)

rh200
20th Oct 2011, 10:30
Wouldn't you guys have to ask Queenie first?

Well Bob Brown won't like it, but the one that matters wouldn't mind. If she ever has to leave the little Island she knows she's always got a home here, and it would be nice and secure.

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if when she's over here in Perth next week she does a quick trip to Rockingham (Place where the poms seem to hang out) to case out a plot to stick one of here castles just in case:p

500N
20th Oct 2011, 11:09
" I'm not keen on having American troops based permanently on our shores."

I don't think the Aust Gov't would want a permanent US Force based here either
as I don't think that would be politically acceptable to the Aust voters but that is MHO only.

Does anyone know how many US personnel (excluding the Embassy) we actually have here ?

"However, it makes for cheap defence and we need to draw the Americans further south anyways since our Admiralty has left us short on promised naval capabilities."

Yes, we are short of Naval capabilities but are we really needing cheap defence ?

Are we under any significant threat that it is required and that can't be sent here in short order if needed ? After all, the US seemed to get various ships to various places close to us pretty quickly when the disasters struck over the last few years.

Bob Brown - Prescilla, Queen of the Parliament :O
Needs to be sent back to Tasmania.

Turkeyslapper
20th Oct 2011, 12:07
Mr Smith says the United States is also looking at positioning equipment in the Territory so troops can play a greater role in disaster relief in the Asia Pacific.
"The closer you can pre-position stores and equipment for disaster relief and humanitarian assistance, the more quickly you can get in to the field,"

Yep there it is. Its all about disaster relief and helping all of those poor people around SE asia in the event of a "disaster" Nothing to do with the US' own interests or agendas at all :E

500N
20th Oct 2011, 12:19
It might stop the Australian Gov't and NGO's having to run to Ray's outdoors (a large camping chain) everytime they want bulk tents and other equipment - that might previously have been in store at Bandiana Ordnance Depot:O

Recently the US just parked a ship off shore, enough to cater for thousands, generate fresh water and a fully equipped hostpital. Seems like a good system to me.

beardy
20th Oct 2011, 14:04
Doesn't the US Navy have a 1megawatt permanent broadcast facility at Naval Communication Station Harold E. Holt near Exmouth? and wasn't that implicated in Quantas 72 and possibly 71ADIRU problems?

So, if the USA already has a permanent base, the precedent has been set, so why not another?

500N
20th Oct 2011, 15:28
"Doesn't the US Navy have a 1megawatt permanent broadcast facility at Naval Communication Station Harold E. Holt near Exmouth? and wasn't that implicated in Quantas 72 and possibly 71ADIRU problems?

So, if the USA already has a permanent base, the precedent has been set, so why not another?"

That one, then you have Pine Gap, not sure what presence they have at Woomera.

MrBernoulli
20th Oct 2011, 16:04
Mr Smith says the United States is also looking at positioning equipment in the Territory so troops can play a greater role in disaster relief in the Asia Pacific.Gosh, they are such insincere folk, aren't they? Disaster relief? My 4rse! More like they need further base/s closer to where they can watch the China and/or North Korea (at a pinch, Afghanistan and Pakistan?). Their hold on Kadena AFB in Okinawa has been under pressure for quite a while, Subic Bay was lost long ago, and Guam has limited real estate. I reckon they want another 'safe' base in the Pacific.

500N
20th Oct 2011, 16:50
At least we have plenty of space up north, it's just such a tough place to live.

Maybe New Zealand would welcome them with open arms - they seem to be getting on better nowadays :O

jamesdevice
21st Oct 2011, 00:12
They need somewhere from where they cam control the Chinese carrier(s) if/when the Chinese come south

CoodaShooda
21st Oct 2011, 00:23
it's just such a tough place to live

Only if you're a soft, southern pussy. :E

Plenty of land available, as long as you can come to an arrangement with the traditional owners. (Hint - offer lots of traditional money)

The real problem is water. We're just going to have to build more dams. :D

Interesting time ahead.......possibly.

jamesdevice
21st Oct 2011, 00:26
"as long as you can come to an arrangement with the traditional owners. (Hint - offer lots of traditional money)"

You have kangaroos that can use money???!!!???

500N
21st Oct 2011, 00:35
" Only if you're a soft, southern pussy. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gif"

Actually, I love it.

I go there every year about Xmas time for 3 weeks - ie Wet season
and live with a mate without Air Con and spend most of the time
working or hunting on the property, whether it is 35 degrees or 50 degrees !!!

jamesdevice
re "You have kangaroos that can use money???!!!???"

Yep, they are normally made of lead and are called lead pills !!!

re "traditional owners", they could pick the most remote, uninhabited, desolate place for a new base and as soon as they do, it's becomes a very important traditional owners site with plenty of history related to the Dream time !!!

SpazSinbad
21st Oct 2011, 04:34
rh200 said: "I thought "base" was a dirty word, the new in term is "hub".http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/tongue.gif All fine if they bring some women with them.http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/smile.gif "

Hubba Hubba! :ouch:

rh200
21st Oct 2011, 04:51
The real problem is water. We're just going to have to build more dams

Depends on how far north you are. Take a look at the West Australian water corporation website, and look at the argyle dam, 200% of capacity this year. Even when its low it still more than all the south west dams put together.

Gnadenburg
21st Oct 2011, 05:50
"However, it makes for cheap defence and we need to draw the Americans further south anyways since our Admiralty has left us short on promised naval capabilities."

Yes, we are short of Naval capabilities but are we really needing cheap defence ?

Yes, I believe so.

Our white paper and force structure ambitions are ridiculous. For example, we need to procure mythical, monster sized conventional submarines, to rip the arm off any Chinese naval movements in the Pacific. We named the Chinese as the threat. We want 100 JSF fighters to fight a concurrent air campaigns. I think it was mentioned both a Korea and Middle East commitment or invasion Oz, with East and West coast campaigns.

And what a mess those ambitions have us in procurement wise!

So, by bringing and welcoming the Americans further south, by an expanded presence, you totally eliminate any threat to continental Australia that requires a stand-alone defence structure for Australia.

Hopefully, what happens with the American presence is more inter-operability and procurement based on inservice American equipment. Not only cheap defence. But efficient too. Something that has failed our defence leadership.

It will be interesting to see where we fit in a modern day, Battle for the Pacific, war plan orange.

PLovett
21st Oct 2011, 11:54
The idea of a logistics base in northern Australia has been discussed for ages, in fact, since the closure of the facilities in the Philippines. There is also a lot of pressure to close the base in Okinawa which would also increase interest in Australia as a replacement. It has long been argued that the extension of the "Ghan" railway from Alice Springs to Darwin had nothing to do with commercial interests but was a means of large scale rapid movement of logistics from the south to the north of the country.

There is no doubt that both major parties in Australia are paranoid about the US alliance and anything that may damage it. They are also paranoid about the various "threats" to the north and the need to have powerful friends to come to our aid. It used to be the UK until the cluster f**k at Singapore and since then it has been the US.

This reliance on the US has undergone some strains. You should have felt the cold shivers when Nixon announced the Guam doctrine for the Western Pacific and SE Asia. Australian pollies acted as though their throats had just been cut. Anyway, with the POTUS about to visit stand by for an announcement.

Aus_AF
22nd Oct 2011, 11:02
The bigger the PX stores & the more captain morgans the better.

500N
27th Oct 2011, 22:18
Well the US president is going to Darwin so you never know what might be announced.

rh200
27th Oct 2011, 23:39
Well the US president is going to Darwin so you never know what might be announced.

The NT has been seceded, and the Yanks are going to make it into the 5# th what ever state:p

sisemen
28th Oct 2011, 01:21
Our defence is inextricably linked with the US so anything that puts the pressure on them to cosy up to us more (as in real estate/equipment/people) is a good thing.

And there ain't one square inch of this wonderful land which isn't deeply, deeply important to the "original inhabitants" - also the dreadlocked, pierced greeny rent-a-mob will also find some endangered animal or plant worth chaining themselves to the bulldozers for. Cynical? Moi???

500N
28th Oct 2011, 01:43
rh200

The NT wants to separate from Canberra, if and when they ever get around to holding a vote on it up there (they seem to be more interested in Beer, BBQ's, fishing and women).

So, instead of separating from Canberra, how about we just give it to the Yanks ?

They have a historical attachment via War to Darwin anyway.

We are so Americanized in this country already, no one would notice !!! LOL

CoodaShooda
28th Oct 2011, 02:05
The NT wants to separate from Canberra
Only so we can have the same constitutional rights as you state dwellers.
But the last time it went to a vote, it lost.
Seems the majority up here are too wedded to the public nipple to risk statehood.

That said, why would we want to become part of the US basketcase when we already have the world's greatest treasurer?

I like the idea of seccession though. Then we can get billions in foreign aid from that nice Mr Rudd and, as a developing nation, have tariff and tax free access to Australian markets.

Throw in the protection of the US military and :hmm:..........works for me. :E

500N
28th Oct 2011, 02:19
Agree re not wanting to leave the nipple.

With the amount of gas you guys will be processing, you'll be able pay your own way.:O

rh200
28th Oct 2011, 03:11
they seem to be more interested in Beer, BBQ's, fishing and women

Is there any higher priority?:p

That said, why would we want to become part of the US basketcase when we already have the world's greatest treasurer?

Might be able to rescue the basket case;)

Only so we can have the same constitutional rights as you state dwellers.

Does that mean you could resurrect the open speed limit?:ok:

500N
28th Oct 2011, 03:41
"they seem to be more interested in Beer, BBQ's, fishing and women
Is there any higher priority?:p"

Yes, shooting / hunting which is what I go up there for :p:O

Agree re the open speed limit, it was awesome :ok:

CoodaShooda
28th Oct 2011, 11:11
Canberra gave us a choice with speed limits.

Align with the states or lose all Federal road funding :hmm: .

The 130 kph was our government showing how tough it was in standing up to Canberra.

Strangely enough, the road toll trebled after the limits came in. Seems motorists now drive by the numbers regardless of the road conditions. :ugh:

Can't wait to see how we assimilate a couple of thousand testosterone fuelled left hand drivers into our overspeeding, tailgating, road raging traffic network; once Mr Obama announces their plans on the 17th.

Not to mention the couple of thousand testosterone fuelled, hard working, hard drinking oil & gas workers who are also due into town soon. :E

500N
28th Oct 2011, 11:33
"Strangely enough, the road toll trebled after the limits came in. Seems motorists now drive by the numbers regardless of the road conditions. :ugh:"

Yes, that was interesting.

You forgot "alcohol fueled" in that description of the NT road users :O

Most of the time I am on the roads, drivers are doing 130 - 150 out to Arnhemland. The biggest danger is the Wild life and the Trucks (Triple road trains) swinging wildly all over the road, especially the road trains full of Uranium, they are the worst.

bobward
28th Oct 2011, 11:41
Offshore oil and gas; US wants a base there.....
Hmm, haven't we seen this somewhere before???
:rolleyes:

rh200
28th Oct 2011, 12:00
Hmm, haven't we seen this somewhere before???

Your point is?

Its not as if we could ever afford total protection of our own country without allies. They want to spend a few billion on a base or two good on them. We might even get extra discount hardware.

The yanks have had bases in many western countrys for decades, most of whom tell them to get stuffed frequently, so can't see the problem.

As long as they bring there own women, and maybe a few more for the hosts:p

500N
28th Oct 2011, 12:11
It's not that we don't have any very important joint US facilities up north and way out west already with Pine Gap and Exmouth (Harold Holt).

I doubt Gas is of high interest, especially since most of it is already sold OS under contract.

bobward
28th Oct 2011, 12:11
It's been a long and not too happy a week, hence my attempt at humour.

500N
16th Nov 2011, 08:02
Well that was an interesting announcement and actually more than I expected.

NT / Darwin and Katherine will get quite a "continuous" economic boost out of it (based on the fact that the majority of troops will be rotated).

rh200
16th Nov 2011, 08:42
You wait till the leader of the country (Bob Brown) has a word with her, I think he's been pushing for no presence, no training etc etc.

500N
16th Nov 2011, 09:06
No training ?

Bit late for that or he must be dumber than I thought since they train in Aust every year.

Anyway, Bob might think he runs the country but when it comes to ANZUS he on a losing wicket since it is very much bi partisan IMHO.

NT wants the troops, WA wants the ships, he'll be told to shut up on this one.

And finally, Bob Brown, the person who regardless of whether you agree with the US President can't even show a common level of courtesy (ref his heckling of Bush during his speech in our Parliament a few years ago). If we heckled him in public over his sexual preferences or had a go at his bed buddy he'd have something to say about it big time.

500N
16th Nov 2011, 20:12
Bob Brown wasn't slow in getting a statement out. this in the media at 8.00am.
We need more details of US build-up: Brown

November 17, 2011 - 7:49AM

Australian Greens leader Bob Brown fears nuclear submarines could be stationed off the coast of Australia as part of a US military build-up in the Top End.
More US troops will train in Australia, starting next year with a force of up to 250 Marines that eventually will be expanded to a force of 2500.
The expansion of the existing collaboration between the Australian Defence Force and the US Marine Corps and US Air Force will allow America to enhance its presence in the Asia-Pacific region.
Advertisement: Story continues below
Senator Brown wants to see more details of the deal, announced jointly by Prime Minister Julia Gillard and US President Barack Obama on Wednesday.
He also wants a parliamentary debate on the deal.
"I object to Australian people and parliament not knowing what the details are," Senator Brown told ABC radio on Thursday.
"We need to see the detail about the submarines ... potentially nuclear submarines."
The Greens leader also is concerned that US military aircraft will be allowed to use Australian territory for bombing ranges.
He believes Washington made the request and Canberra agreed.
"They're here to offset the rising military power of China," Senator Brown said, adding that it was also in America's economic interest.
"They're not here for Australia's safety."

Buster Hyman
16th Nov 2011, 21:01
I wish someone would close Bob Browns wide open trap!

And it'd be a bonus if he would shut up too...:}

jamesdevice
16th Nov 2011, 21:05
wonder if all those Northern Territories salt water crocodiles could be trained / remote controlled into becoming suicide bombers? Shouldn't be difficult to plant controlling electrodes into a croc's brain, and there's plenty of space in the body to insert some plastic explosive
Would be a lot quieter than a torpedo

500N
16th Nov 2011, 21:12
James

You have to catch the crocodile first and that is a bit harder than you might think:O

Buster
Agree totally.

Fubaar
16th Nov 2011, 21:23
Bob Brown is often likened to an undertaker, (or Lurch from the Munsters), both from his ultra dour looks and his godawful droning voice. There are many of us here in Australia who are hoping against a hope that he continues to play the role of undertaker in burying the Greens.

500N
16th Nov 2011, 21:34
fubaar
I am afraid you might be waiting a while too many $100,000 "Greenies" living in the suburbs for that to happen.

The only person to really blind side the Greenies was the current Victorian premiere at the last election but at the last minute he dumped the support for preferences with the Greens and pulled off a coup by being elected without their support. In the process he also stopped a few getting into the Victorian Parliament.

I wish the Franklin Dam had never been thought of as that (the protests against it) is what gave him the leg up to National Politics. I think he would still be a Tasmanian Lightweight Politician if it hadn't occurred.

Just my HO.

rh200
16th Nov 2011, 21:42
Bit late for that or he must be dumber than I thought since they train in Aust every year.Yea, on that point I think he didn't want any more. Things like this are great, its when the greens show their real feral colors. I Think someone needs to remind Bob of all that "Big Strapping marine eye candy" that will be floating about, he might change his mind.:p Hmmm, do they have women in the marines:E

Australian Greens leader Bob Brown fears nuclear submarines could be stationed off the coast of Australia as part of a US military build-up in the Top End.Woohoo, some subs that are on our side and actually work most of the time.

We need to see the detail about the submarines ... potentially nuclear submarines."Do the Yanks actually have any conventional ones?

The Greens leader also is concerned that US military aircraft will be allowed to use Australian territory for bombing ranges.Noooo, can't believe that, like WTF have we been doing in training f$%^ knows how long.

500N
16th Nov 2011, 22:03
"I Think someone needs to remind Bob of all that "Big Strapping marine eye candy" that will be floating about, he might change his mind.http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/tongue.gif Hmmm, do they have women in the marineshttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gif"

Can you imagine Bob's eye's popping out if a Marine actually got hold of him !!! LOL

Women in the Marines ? Wouldn't interest "bend over" Bob.

eagle 86
16th Nov 2011, 22:06
Not to mention the irritating proposed sale of uranium to India - but being the cynic that I am I can't help but think that barge@rse has done a deal with lurch over these recent announcements.
GAGS
E86

500N
16th Nov 2011, 22:16
He (Bob Brown) hasn't exactly been quiet about the sale to India but no where near the rhetoric he used to come out with about anything Uranium related so yes, I think he probably has done a deal on something - or that was the trade off for the Carbon Tax ?

"Greens leader Bob Brown warned sales of uranium to India would "make Australia less secure". "Enriched uranium, through this process, will end up in the nuclear stockpiles of India, including its growing fleet of nuclear-armed and powered warships," Mr Brown said."

He needs to get a check on reality, everyone else is selling to them, why not us ?

rh200
16th Nov 2011, 22:23

But would be of interest to me though:E

500N
16th Nov 2011, 22:29
And me, wish they were here when I was in. Only Foreign Troops I ever worked with were a few Indonesian SF who came over for short stays / SF specific courses, all male and not good English.

Did you see the Marine Cpl who ask Justin Timberlake to the Marine Ball ?
Came across as intelligent, smart and good looking.
Defense.gov News Article: Timberlake Reflects on Marine Corps Ball (http://www.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=66113)

Eagle86
"Not to mention the irritating proposed sale of uranium to India"

Are you saying it was irritating to Bob Brown or yourself ?

jamesdevice
17th Nov 2011, 00:04
If you google "bend over bob" you'll see the phrase refers to a piece of equipment used by women for men, which goes by the name of "strap on sally" - and is probably painful if misused. I wouldn't trust that marine corporal with it, however attractive...

Buster Hyman
17th Nov 2011, 01:29
...the US Marine Corps and US Air Force will ...
..."We need to see the detail about the submarines ... potentially nuclear submarines."

Okay, I may be a bit behind the times, but when did the USMC & the USAF start using Nuclear Subs??? :confused::confused:

But would be of interest to me thoughhttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gif

:ooh:....Bob?

500N
17th Nov 2011, 01:39
Got to laugh, the first MP Obama shook hands with on entering Parliament was Adam Bandt, the Greens MP.

That will please his boss, Bob Brown.:O

Sounds like the need for a talking to, no coffee.

Re Subs and USAF / USMC, I think it was the way the newspaper reported it but either way, Bob wouldn't know any better so it was probably the truth.
Maybe we could insert a Torpedo into one of his xxxxxxxx, then he might learn something - problem is he might enjoy it !!!

And asking for a debate in Parliament when both major parties would be in agreement is a total waste of time.

rh200
17th Nov 2011, 01:39
Okay, I may be a bit behind the times, but when did the USMC & the USAF start using Nuclear Subs??

I think there's a lot of free extras that comes with this deal, bit like free upgrades or "would you like fries with that". I seem to remember something about garden Island a while back.

...Bob?
:ooh:

500N
17th Nov 2011, 01:44
HMAS Stirling in WA is going to be a busy place.

eagle 86
17th Nov 2011, 01:51
500N,
Sorry I was out to the right of Ghengis when you posted - what was the question again?
GAGS
E86

500N
17th Nov 2011, 02:00
Eagle86
"Not to mention the irritating proposed sale of uranium to India"

Are you saying it was irritating to Bob Brown or yourself ?

I just read it that you didn't like the idea of selling Uranium to India
hence the question.

J52
17th Nov 2011, 02:57
Time for everyone in Oz to dust off 'On the Beach' by Nevil Shute and refamiliarise themselves with our strategic importance in a nuclear age. Good idea also to sell uranium to India. Control the market and you can contain the threat (as in Pakistan). As for Yank bases on Oz soil, go for it. We need to increase our population density in the north and there is nothing like some randy Yank marines to do this. Obviously the Obama Administration understood there was no use having a base in Canberra because the who bloody town seems to be full of gays.

eagle 86
17th Nov 2011, 05:10
500N,
Just being facetious.
GAGS
E86

typerated
17th Nov 2011, 05:25
Any idea what aviation assets the US will base in Oz?

500N
17th Nov 2011, 05:41
I've seen these mentioned

FA18
B52
Some sort of Air to Air refueling
C17
Harriers

at RAAF Tindal (once they extend the facilities) which probably also means a few at Darwin Airport occasionally which will be good to see.

Nothing like being on a commercial jet and having to wait for the Hornet's to take off or land.

typerated
17th Nov 2011, 05:54
Are these TDY or based full time?

I imagine the B-52s/C-17 must be TDY.

Makes me think 'Pitch Black' exercises will become quite large affairs

500N
17th Nov 2011, 06:04
typerated

To be honest, I think the reporting is a bit all over the place at the moment as I have seen quite a few different things.

Like, you can add C130 to the list of Air assets.

Anyway, here is a reasonable summary although some things they have said are the opposite to what has been reported elsewhere - like what is permanent and what is TDY.

I am sure it will call come out in the wash once the hype of Obama being here has gone.

US Marines and warplanes operating in the Northern Territory, and warships and submarines using a West Australian naval base, will constitute a permanently increased military presence in Australia.

The marines, who will arrive early next year and number 2500 by 2016-17, will spend six months of every year in Australia. They will train alongside Australian forces and, for the first time, undergo training exercises of their own.

The build-up will be additional to the frequent joint training exercises already conducted between Australian and visiting US forces, such as the biennial Operation Talisman Sabre which this year involved more than 14,000 US troops ............

Starting early next year, 250 US marines will come to Darwin and spend each dry season camped and performing exercises at the nearby Bradshaw Field training area.
By 2014, the number of marines will be 1000 and by 2016-17, there will be 2500 coming each year for six months. They will be rotated through from other US Pacific bases and belong to a Marine Air-Ground Task Force.
As well as training, the marines will be available for humanitarian and disaster relief.

Once at full strength, each task force will comprise a command element, ground combat troops, logistics and an aviation combat component that will include helicopters such as Black Hawks, Cobras, Hueys and possibly Harrier jump jets.

The second element of the build-up will involve an increase in visits of US warplanes through the Tindal air force base which will need to be expanded.
While US B-52 bombers regularly train in the Territory, over the next two years there will be increased visits of other aircraft including fighters, refuellers, spy planes and transporters.

The third element will involve US ships and submarines operating out of the Stirling naval base, south of Perth. No time has been set for this to start. The ships and submarines can be nuclear powered but not nuclear armed.

Buster Hyman
17th Nov 2011, 08:18
The ships and submarines can be nuclear powered but not nuclear armed.
Crikey!:eek:

Keep that to yourself man, or Bob will have a hissy fit!!!

Andu
17th Nov 2011, 10:21
I'm trying to imagine how loud the screams - and how huge the demonstrations - would have been if it had been Tony Abbott who had announced exactly what Juliar Gillard has just lobbed on the Australian populace without one minute of debate in Parliament. I never thought I'd ever find myself agreeing on anything with Bob Brown, but in this case, he has a point. (Not that I'd be on the same side of the debate with Brown if it was held.)

I was listening to the ABC (AM programme) this morning and actually felt pity for the poor ABC reporter as he tried manfully not to burst into tears at not having Tony Abbott to "blame" for the US forces coming to Australia.

I wonder what was in the briefing Juliar received from the Yanks (or how truly unpleasant the alternatives were that were painted for her) that led her to this decision and the decision to back the sale of uranium to India? Pretty nasty alternatives, I'm assuming.

500N
17th Nov 2011, 10:26
I missed AM this morning.

"felt pity for the poor ABC reporter as he tried manfully not to burst into tears at not having Tony Abbott to "blame" for the US forces coming to Australia."

Oh dear, the poor old ABC would have found it hard to even do a story.

Re uranium to India. it has been on the Agenda for a while, politics just got in the way of changing it. I reckon a pay off to BHP / the other miners for the other tax.

I thought Abbott gets the same / similar briefings.

That's what the media hate about all Defence, it tends to be so bi partisan.

Buster Hyman
17th Nov 2011, 12:30
I wonder what was in the briefing Juliar received from the Yanks (or how truly unpleasant the alternatives were that were painted for her) that led her to this decision and the decision to back the sale of uranium to India? Pretty nasty alternatives, I'm assuming.

For some reason, that made me think of..."David Beckhams right foot, David Beckhams left foot, come to that..."

FODPlod
17th Nov 2011, 13:01
BBC News: The Pacific President (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-15768180)

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/56760000/jpg/_56760869_013347054-1.jpg

dat581
17th Nov 2011, 19:25
I wonder when the latest visit from a Royal Navy Trafalger Sub to Perth was? They seemed to be sunning them selves in Gage Roads every year or so without a peep from the Greens.

rh200
17th Nov 2011, 23:15
BBC News: The Pacific President (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-15768180)

That picture might not be what it seems, if you imagine Rudd where Obama is standing, the height of her hand might be about right for a knifing.

MTOW
18th Nov 2011, 00:04
This morning, Ray Hadley on Sydney's 2GB is repeatedly playing an old 60s wailer song in honour of Krudd: "It shoulda bin me!"

I suspect that by Monday, someone will have Photoshopped a Crocodile Dundee-sized knife into Gillard's hand in the photograph above. (And probably posted it here. :) ) Then Hadley could change the song for Krudd to "Ah've bin thar before."

500N
18th Nov 2011, 00:29
FODPlod

Re "Quite a special relationship developing here."

Are you talking in general between Aust and the US
or between Obama and Julia ?

The Age had a good article on the Kevin Rudd would have been really peed off over the last 2 days over this.

I do think people in the world forget the history of the relationship
- 60 years of ANZUS, Darwin Bombing, how many troops
were here in WWII, Vietnam, Afghanistan, Troops training over here and the fact that we have Pine Gap, Exmouth and a few other US bits and pieces installed in our back yard and have had for a long time.

And the ships seem to like visiting here as well.