PDA

View Full Version : This would get the chaps in the computer section too excited . . .

Loose rivets
19th Oct 2011, 22:45
. . . so I'll post it here.

I was going to call this post, 'Oh, WOW!'

BBC News - Viasat broadband 'super-satellite' launches (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15358121)

One of the most powerful satellites ever built has headed into orbit on a Russian Proton rocket.

The Viasat-1 spacecraft will deliver broadband services to customers in the US and Canada.

With a total data throughput of some 140 Gbps, the satellite has more capacity than all other communication satellites over North America combined.

Mike X
19th Oct 2011, 23:08
The U.S. authorities are certainly serious about monitoring pedestrian communication. ;)

sisemen
20th Oct 2011, 02:24
Shhh. Nobody tell Juliar Gillard or Stephen Conroy about this. The Australian government is in the process of spending $50 billion (and it will increase with the onset of reality) in rolling out an optic fibre system around Oz which will only do half of what this satellite can do.

They were warned, but a totally dysfunctional government is trying to play macho politics.

Go figure!

11Fan
20th Oct 2011, 03:41
Those look like ears. :eek:

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/56152000/jpg/_56152168_viasat_catr.jpg

I wonder if they could be used to listen in on cellphone conversations. I'll bet they could even pick up two people talking on the street. In fact, I'll bet it could monitor keystrokes and they are watching me right now.

Hang on. There's someone at the door.

Oh oh, it's a trick-or-treater in a Jane-DoH costume.

OFSO
20th Oct 2011, 09:16
OK so having worked for ESA for 25 years I am biased - but looking at the initial and maintenance costs I wonder why anyone would chose anything other than satellites for communications.

As ever - what else can you expect with politicians making technology-based decisions.

Just a spotter
20th Oct 2011, 13:21
OFSO,

in a word; latency. Of course, there are a number of factors that play into that too; bandwidth, contention and distance for a start, before we get into the data protocol and its optimisation for the medium.

Then of course, there's the thorny issues of data security and integrity.

JAS

rgbrock1
20th Oct 2011, 13:36
11Fan:

I hope Jane-DoH doesn't see your picture. She'll be in a frenzy for at least a month!!!

OFSO
20th Oct 2011, 13:48
in a word; latency. Of course, there are a number of factors that play into that too; bandwidth, contention and distance for a start, before we get into the data protocol and its optimisation for the medium.

I have no idea what latency means in this respect, likewise contention and distance. Please educate me ! As far as the rest of the paragraph, some interesting words there. Wonder how so many other countries get around the problems ?

Bushfiva
21st Oct 2011, 05:01
Latency: The satellite is in geostationary orbit. Therefore, you're 72,000 km from you ISP (unless return packets are routed terrestrially, in which case you're only 36,000 km away). So in addition to the random delays across the internet, there's nearly a quarter of a second round trip to your ISP, which will make you uncompetitive in on-line games, for example.

Also, real-time trading is so aggressive now that traders relocate their computers closer to, or even into, their ISPs (to keep the conversation simple) to shave milliseconds off transaction times.

Contention: you don't know who else you are sharing the bandwidth with nor how much data they're moving around. So the pipe may run out of capacity, slowing you and everyone else down. Capacity at the bottom end of the internet tends to be oversold by a factor of 10:1 up to 2500:1 or more, on the assumption not everyone will be trying to use it at the same time. That latter assumption is starting to fall apart: more data moved around the internet in 2010 than in all previous years put together.

OFSO
23rd Oct 2011, 07:49
Thanks for that info Bushfiva. One lives and (hopefully) learns.

OFSO