PDA

View Full Version : To see is (almost) to believe.

Loose rivets
19th Oct 2011, 12:08
The locking to distance is the most astonishing part of this demonstration. But I'm still not sure.

Just what physics are involved in the locking to some kind of distance reference?

I know. The Universe is a matrix...but in conventional science.

Quantum Levitation - YouTube

603DX
19th Oct 2011, 13:04
Engineers have been working for several years on high speed transportation devices which apply principles having much in common with what is being demonstrated here as 'quantum levitation'.

Suttononline (http://www.suttononline.org/suthishov.asp)

Maglev - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maglev)

Bushfiva
19th Oct 2011, 13:14
I don't know why they call it "quantum levitation" in the video. It looks like flux pinning.

FLCH
19th Oct 2011, 13:25
Oh it's all pretty simple stuff, looks like though the disgronificator needs adjusting and the blinker fluid is low. :)

mustpost
19th Oct 2011, 13:31
I've said it before and repeat; the intussuscepting yock-strake is not working on the snaffle-coop gearing.:=

Checkboard
19th Oct 2011, 13:34
This vid explains the process:

QuantumLevitation - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VyOtIsnG71U)

rotornut
19th Oct 2011, 13:39
The Hutchison Effect

hutchison effect - YouTube

603DX
19th Oct 2011, 14:07
Checkers and LR, a fascinating insight into the basics of what the Israeli superconducting group are now able to achieve.

Another example of the manner in which engineering principles are often advanced by research and development. The video in the Suttononline link in my post #2 is getting on for 40 years old, Eric Laithwaite was demonstrating magnetic levitation plus guidance from about 2.25 onwards, on this. Other workers in Germany and Japan used superconductance techniques in the electromagnets to reduce power requirements and extend his achievements, and decades later we can see the degree to which the concepts have now advanced.

(I worked for a while on the experimental test track structure at Earith in the early seventies, so I have a personal interest in all this.)

Storminnorm
19th Oct 2011, 14:14
All well and good, no doubt about that.

But how the Heck do they do an "Emergency" stop !!!!!

skwinty
19th Oct 2011, 14:35
Try digesting this....

http://www.physik.uni-stuttgart.de/TR21/en/publications/show_publication.php?publication_id=237

603DX
19th Oct 2011, 14:37
Funny you should ask that Norm, and on an aviation centred forum, too! If you look carefully at the rear end of the hovertrain test vehicle RTV31 on the Suttononline link video, you can see some steelwork sticking up. That was the equivalent of an arrester hook in deck landings, and at the end of the test track there was a navy-pattern arrester wire stretched above the track.

Normal braking of the test vehicle was by reversing the direction of the electromagnetic propulsion force, but just in case this wasn't quite enough a couple of aeronautically - trained engineers on the design team had this arrester system rigged up. Michael Heseltine (Tarzan) was the Aerospace Minister who cancelled the whole project before the full 7 miles of test track could be built - the vehicle was designed to reach 300mph on that, so this safety system might in fact have come into operation!

Lukeafb1
19th Oct 2011, 14:56
Ah! 603DX,

So it was you who was responsible for all that concrete in the fields around St Ives! What happened to it? The track, not the Maglev?

603DX
19th Oct 2011, 15:24
Lukeafb1, my consulting engineering firm were not the designers of that box beam track and its piled foundation piers, that had been done by another firm. We were commissioned to design remedial measures to overcome serious construction defects in several of the pier foundations. I designed a system of underpinning supported by additional bored-in-situ RC piling, then supervised the work to achieve this on site.

Regarding the fate of the short one mile of test track that was built, the local planning and river authorities had insisted that once the research and testing installation had served its purpose, it should be demolished and restored to the original state of the land involved. The premature cancellation by the politicians (it was a government-funded project) meant that this was carried out much sooner than anyone thought.

Storminnorm
19th Oct 2011, 15:53
I still find it difficult to understand WHY they dropped the
project so quickly.
I wonder if it was anything to do with the theory, at the
time, that the ammount of magnetism used in the vehicle
could possibly cause certain types of Cancer.??

The Maglev at BHX airport is still working, is it??

Checkboard
19th Oct 2011, 15:58
603DX - given your engineering skills - perhaps you can help Juud out on the TRABB thread, as she has a concreting problem! ;)

http://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/460234-really-really-boring-totally-pointless-snippets-information-thread-mkxviii-92.html#post6755189

G-CPTN
19th Oct 2011, 16:30
Sadly the BHX Maglev is no more:- Maglev - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maglev#Birmingham.2C_United_Kingdom_1984.E2.80.931995)

AirRail Link - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AirRail_Link#Maglev)

er340790
19th Oct 2011, 16:51
...is getting on for 40 years old, Eric Laithwaite was demonstrating magnetic levitation plus guidance from about 2.25 onwards, on this

About the time Edmund Cartwright invented the power loom... 1785 if I'm not mistaken. ;)

Solid Rust Twotter
19th Oct 2011, 16:57
Bah!

Simple thronomister technology. Ani fule no that.

Sallyann1234
19th Oct 2011, 17:21
Put one of those plates under each wheel of the plane and you have made conveyor belts immediately redundant.

603DX
19th Oct 2011, 17:22
perhaps you can help Juud out on the TRABB thread, as she has a concreting problem! http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wink2.gif

Checkers, having now had a read-in of the helpful advice offered by our fellow PPRuNers to Juud I hardly need add my own. For what it's worth though, my preference would be for Keef's post #3717, with the addition of a bonding agent such as Unibond PVA as recommended by parabellum's post #3731 with its reference to "white sticky stuff". :ok:

603DX
19th Oct 2011, 17:46
project so quickly.
I wonder if it was anything to do with the theory, at the
time, that the ammount of magnetism used in the vehicle
could possibly cause certain types of Cancer.??

Norm, The "official" reasons given at the time were that there were no potential customers ready to buy the technology, and that the government confidently expected British Rail to eagerly take it on. Some hopes! BR were heading for their own embarrassing failure of their high speed "tilting train" project, to run on existing old-fashioned lines rather than high quality dedicated new track. That fiasco gave passengers motion sickness on bends. BR were also far too committed to steel wheels on steel rails technology, to seriously consider the 'quantum leap' of the innovative Maglev system.

Regarding possible health hazards of strong magnetic fields, I don't think that MRI scanners would be in such widespread use worldwide, if that were the case. The flux density of those machines, working at very close quarters on patients, is very high.

tony draper
19th Oct 2011, 17:50
My Scandyhooligan ancesters used to be able to build Longboats that kept the North Sea out,now they cant even build a shed that is watertight,a sad state of affairs.
:rolleyes:

Pitts2112
19th Oct 2011, 19:38
If this is "quantum levitation" then that means there's a bloke in a box somewhere with one of these where the puck sticks like hell to the track.

BOAC
19th Oct 2011, 19:47
If it requires liquid nitrogen it is going to make second class train travel VERY uncomfortable, is it not?

OFSO
25th Oct 2011, 16:54
Back to WW-II. During my apprentice years I was told by a much older boffin friend that during WW-II he and a bunch of chaps were given the job of dreaming up something that would "look good but do nothing" to be fitted inside aircraft: if they were shot down the Germans would waste a lot of time trying to figure out what these circuits were for.

He told me that one device that they came up with absorbed power in the form of electrical energy but they never discovered where it was going. It did not get hot nor radiate heat or light (or a burning smell !) even at currents in excess of an amp at Lancaster bomber voltages (no idea what they were). They could leave it on for a week and other than the current drain and hence disappearance of quite a few watts, nothing happened to show it was absorbing energy.

This device was deemed "inappropriate" for the intended purpose and was destroyed.

My informant said years later, he still wondered about it.

Fantome
2nd Feb 2015, 08:43
All the foregoing leads one to ponder frictionless bearings

There was in Cootamundra in the 70s a man by the name of Jack Masling.
He ran a successful car dealership and an air service with maintenance facilities. He was himself a pilot and an engineer

Jack thought he could perfect a frictionless bearing which would enable him to demonstrate perpetual motion

He bought a set of small magnets from a firm in Germany, which he intended to make the guts of his bearings. The magnets needed to be finely abraded on his surfacing machine. Jack would present the magnet to the spinning face then measure with his micrometer. This process went on for a long time during which he inhaled fine dust particles.

Jack was quite a heavy smoker, so his lungs were already not in the best condition to take the fine particles he was inadvertently breathing in.

The end of the story and the end of Jack, sadly, was that he was admitted to hospital to be put on life support, from which he never came good.

His friends used to say "Jack's quest for perpetual motion killed him in the end."

cattletruck
2nd Feb 2015, 09:35
project so quickly.

Because the general public got fatter and maglev sunk to the bottom.

Stanwell
2nd Feb 2015, 11:16
Fantome,
I'd only met Jack Masling once.
In the course of our conversation, the subject of 'frictionless' bearings was raised.

I didn't quite know what to make of it then - and I still don't.
What did you make of it?

Nonetheless, he was a fascinating and engaging character... RIP.

OFSO
2nd Feb 2015, 11:51
Blackett/Dirac equations and the Locke Derivative relate gravity to the magnetic momentum. Was discussed the week before last on an amusing thread about UFO, antigravity etc.

Fantome
2nd Feb 2015, 21:07
buggered if I know Stan . .. . Jack certainly spent many sleepless nights
trying to figure out the possible practical applications of his bearing

ChristiaanJ
2nd Feb 2015, 22:39
"Frictionless" bearings exist, but I can no longer remember where I've read or heard about one or seen one. They either use(d) air or magnets or an electric field. Does that set a bell ringing for anybody else?

G-CPTN
2nd Feb 2015, 23:02
There was a time when somebody invented 'hover' pallets - so that one person could move a heavy load using very little effort.

7vcQNl4YPFQ

I don't know whether they persisted with the idea and whether they are in everyday use in factories or not.

Loose rivets
2nd Feb 2015, 23:31
Poor old Eric. His lecture at the Royal Academy was the first not to be published and maybe that was one reason he suffered clinical depression. But he was no fool.

The audience was well versed with the subject matter and couldn't understand why he would be going over such well-trodden ground, but some of the issues just need going over, and over, and over because I for one can't understand how he could hold that huge gyro out at arm's length with such ease.

I was doing lots of heave DIY in that era, and weight lifting before taking me shower. I recall trying to hold that weight out at arm's length - and couldn't. What doesn't make sense is to rely on the sums and ignore what's in front of our eyes.

603DX
3rd Feb 2015, 19:50
This is the full lecture by Eric Laithwaite on gyroscopes, delivered in the historic lecture theatre used by Michael Faraday at the Royal Institution in Albemarle Street, London. Considered controversial by some of his peers, so that it was the first not to be formally published by the Institution, I bet many in that audience still remember it ...

OpCEJxO6V9g

G-CPTN
4th Feb 2015, 00:07
Poor quality, but good content:-

1eQp4grGdqY

G-CPTN
4th Feb 2015, 00:27
BeO91URF7dM