PDA

View Full Version : Recomend some BOOKS

Always Moving
19th Oct 2011, 09:18
Hi to all,

Could you recommend some useful books about flying? (commercially)
In other words where is all the knowledge of technical stuff? and some will say, in hundreds of book that I have read. Indeed

Christmas is coming, so Could you recommend some books?
I look a few in Amazon but who knows who is reviewing this books.... Joe Blow with panic to fly or Red Barron airline TRE?

The turbine pilot flight manual
Flying the wing
Handling the big jets
Everything explain for the professional pilot

Also can you guys comment in how easy is to read it some publications are just a pain and very confusing.

Thanks for your time

dhardesthard
19th Oct 2011, 13:06
Depends on your level of experience. I have found that the best way to learn about most subjects is to read magazines on that subject. There are a lot of letters to the editor with a lot of basic questions from beginners and also experts so a wide range is covered.

av8r76
19th Oct 2011, 13:42
A great book n aerodynamics.... Mechanics Of Flight, AC Kermode. Personally, the book has introduced and reinforced a lot of my fundamentals of aerodynamics. Worth a read.

Cyber Bob
19th Oct 2011, 15:22
'Readers' Wives upshot's - 1972 to 2008' - well worth a punt!

ImbracableCrunk
19th Oct 2011, 15:50
I've read Handling the Big Jets and it's a great little book. I'd say it requires a fair understanding of aircraft systems and aerodynamics to get much use of it.

Che Guevara
19th Oct 2011, 16:03
Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators, a classic.

tilos
19th Oct 2011, 16:36
For the prospective airline pilot two easy to read books:

"Airline Route Planning" by John Grover and also "Handbook of Aircraft

Performance" (with a picture of a 146 on the cover) also by John Grover.

Both probably out of print but maybe available secondhand.

macdo
19th Oct 2011, 16:40
Ace the Technical Pilot Interview by Gary Bristow, really simple language and concepts for the mentally challenged like moi!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Technical-Pilot-Interview-Gary-Bristow/dp/0071396098

ImbracableCrunk
19th Oct 2011, 19:07
Ace the Technical Pilot Interview by Gary Bristow, really simple language and concepts for the mentally challenged like moi!

I caution any one who buys that book. The questions are good. The answers. . . you're better of finding your own.

MrBernoulli
19th Oct 2011, 19:16
Agreed, 'Ace the Technical Pilot Interview' is an embarrassment and a disgrace! Bristow should be ashamed of himself.

Always Moving
20th Oct 2011, 02:35
Yes that is what somebody wrote in the amazon review.
It seems to me like the book was done in a hurry and never fixed the errors
The aerodynamics fro naval aviator I could never get pass the first quarter of the book and I tried 2 time!

So far Handling the big jets I guess

Please, suggest a few more and thanks to the contributors

Slasher
20th Oct 2011, 04:38
"Handling The Big Jets" and "Mechanics Of Flight". I've never
found need for more than those two.

Actually John Tulla would be the man to ask.

misd-agin
20th Oct 2011, 13:47
Always Moving - Don't feel bad about 'Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators'. I've tried looking at it, as a teenager and recently, and it was beyond my interest/ability to read.(21,000+ hrs). :sad:

These would be a decent start -

The Turbine Pilot's Flight Manual,
Fly the Wing,
Everything Explained for the Professional Pilot,
Stick and Rudder, An Explaination of the Art of Flying,
Handling the Big Jets,
Flying the Big Jets.

Depending upon your experience and interest you'll come to your own conclusion as to what book(s) are 'better'.

Left with questions after your reading? Ask on Pprune. You'll get some answers OR find out that some areas are still contested or mis-understood (pitch or power for airspeed control on final? :eek:)

Paul Rice
20th Oct 2011, 14:26
All commercial pilots particulaly Captains need to have an understanding of employment law.

As commerical pressures grow and grow conflict can arise between the flight deck, making sound safety based decisions and management hell bent on holding the organisation together financially and more importantly hitting their bonus targets.

When pressure comes on from managemnt having a clear understanding of employemnt law can give you confidence in rebutting some of their more silly ideas.

I would recommend therefore Employment Law by Deborah J Lockton be read in general outline by all pilots and kept on the shelf to hand when the inevitable bust up happens.

Basic knowledge is needed because when it comes to these matters you will find BALPA keen to shirk all responsibility and can be pretty clueless when it comes to the employment regualtions and laws.

Always Moving
20th Oct 2011, 14:48
Mr. Rice is that International Law? English, Australian European, or perhaps US law? (Not trying to be an ass, but US people tend to think as they are the only ones in this globe)

Clandestino
26th Oct 2011, 18:26
"Handling the big jets" and "Aerodynamics for naval aviator" are must!

While "Fate is the hunter" by Ernest K Gann is an autobiography of pilot who flew DC-2s, -3s and -4s, its age didn't make it obsolete. It can give any modern HF book good run for its money.

If Macarthur Job's "Air disaster 1-4" seem too macabre, you can try with Stanley Stewart's "Emergency". Every case study has a happy end there.

Always Moving
27th Oct 2011, 03:16
Fate is the hunter is a good read to have an idea of how that era was, then again the 2 books, Air America and the one in Lao are great too! and stick and rudder and the Kershner bookSSSS

I was looking for something technical stuff that when you ask most pilots you get a blank stare or BS or in many cases (few) their interpretations.
I was looking for like the Private Pilot Flying Handbook but for Turbine flying and advance avionics.

Thanks to everyone for their comments, now I have 2 or 3 books on my wish list.

AA

PS:If you want to continue the thread I (and probably others) more than welcome the comments.

Checkboard
27th Oct 2011, 11:33
Severe Weather Flying (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Severe-Weather-Flying-Dennis-Newton/dp/1560274271/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1319714450&sr=1-1) by Dennis Newton.

This book outlines his experiences flying specially hardened research aircraft through the middle of thunderstorms, cyclones and the like - with actual research tips on avoiding turbulence, lightning strikes, icing etc etc. Great, accessible read.

Flying the Line (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Flying-line-century-Pilots-Association/dp/0960970800/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1319714579&sr=1-2) by George E. Hopkins

This outlines the development and history of the pilot union movement in the USA - a must for understanding the tough job of dealing with employers which (much as we ignore it) is SO much a part of this business. Will make you a MUCH more professional pilot, when you know the history of the JOB, rather than the SKILLS of flying.

The Air Disaster Volumes (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Air-Disaster-v-1-Vol-1/dp/1875671110/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1319714746&sr=1-3) by Mac Job

You need the entire series - a MUST read to understand the development of the jet aircraft, with a great selection of (what should be) famous accidents in a technical, but well-explained format. (If you are Australian, you need the "Air Crash" series which proceeded it as well - explains the development of the unique Australian Airways system). Do you know why old aircraft don't have the park brake included in the take of config warning, but new ones do? - read about the crash which forced the development - and a dozen other interesting developments.

I vote for "Handling the big Jets" and "Fate is the Hunter" as well, of course.

I have Kermode, the Rolls Royce Turbine Engines book and Aerodynamics for naval aviators as well - but they are technical reference works and frankly not worth it unless you are writing/studying.