PDA

View Full Version : New AOC application - advice please

Edward_tci
19th Oct 2011, 05:55
Hi guys,

I am interested in applying for a CASA AOC for a single pilot vfr charter operation, while renting aircraft, I will mainly be running freight. I have read through the forums, and CASA website and understand the time and cost involved.

What I could not find anywhere is any detailed specification on premises, or detailed info on assessment of a Chief Pilot.

I am thinking of operating from home as I have no need for a premises on the field, and I have all the specified equipment such as fax machine computer, room for planning etc. Do you think CASA would have a problem with me doing this?

Also I have found that for single engine aircraft operation, a minimum of 500 hrs is required, but I can not find anywhere if there is a written/practical test involved in being approved.

Any help on these matters would be greatly appreciated, and if anyone who has been through this process has any tips or info, it would really help.

Many thanks

Ed

chimbu warrior
19th Oct 2011, 06:12
CAO 82 is a good place to start, and I believe there is a CAAP covering the subject as well.

Renting aircraft may prove a bit of a challenge, particularly for an initial issue AOC, but it depends on which CASA office (and officer) handles your application. :)

Tmbstory
19th Oct 2011, 07:29
Edward tc1:

Try the Air Operator Certification Manual, Volume 2 from CASA. It has heaps of information in it.

Tmb

Xcel
19th Oct 2011, 09:05
Renting aircraft isn't a problem if the hirer and hiree have a specific contract in place (Casa will want to see it). You'll need financials covering profit and loss etc. Insurance requirements. Everything covered in 82.0 and via the manual. For the chief pilot approval it is anything from a few hrs to a couple of days depending on your experience, type of operation and how confident they are in your operation. There will be a thorough written, oral and flight test. If you do poorly they have the power to revoke your entire licence. So if your not up to standard you could walk in a chief pilot wannabe and walk out unlicenced.

After doing a lot of research and saving a lot of money I would probably advise finding a current Cp to mentor you. Only saying that because a serious candidate would already have knowledge of what's involved!

dhavillandpilot
19th Oct 2011, 20:29
The easy answer to this is - DONT

You would do better with a boat, at least the Maritime people are more pro active and actual help you, unlike CASA (where here to make your life a misery)

Seriously I would find someone witha current AOC that is permitted to do what you want, and do a commercial deal with them. This is not borrowing an AOC in these circumstances if a proper commercial arrangemnet is undertaken.

You will probably find that the costs of such an arrangement are less than the final cost both in dollars and heartache of obtaining your own.

Sad I know but a true reflection on the state of our Industry under a regulator who has little interest in fostering the Industry and Australian Aviation.

Best of luck

Up-into-the-air
19th Oct 2011, 21:52
Dehav Pilot

Not true.

CASR 206 and 210 are clear, as is CAO 28.

You need an AOC to operate for a third party. You need an AOC prior to advertising or promoting a service that meets CASR 206.

Borrowing is lending, "using" is borrowing.

The only way that an AOC can be used by another organisation or "person" is for that organisation to be included on the AOC.

Most organisations [with an AOC] are not willing to do that as they become responsible in all ways, shape and form for an organisation/ person that they are not legally controlling.

outnabout
19th Oct 2011, 22:29
CASA also offer a Guide to Chief Pilot, available on the website, which lays out all requirements that you need to know. I second one of the earlier comments - there is a very stringent verbal exam on the Regs, Orders, your ops manual, and then a flight test as part of becoming CP. You do run the risk of walking out without a licence at all if you're not up to it. Allow a good two days for the entire assessment.

I'm sorry, I don't think you've tried very hard at all to research this undertaking for yourself. The CP info at least is not difficult to find.

Nipper
20th Oct 2011, 03:24
Before you spend your money contact the CASA office where your AOC will be located. Arrange a pre-application meeting and discuss your issues with CASA, you will find that most of your questions will be answered.

Aussie Bob
20th Oct 2011, 05:01
I'm sorry, I don't think you've tried very hard at all to research this undertaking for yourself. The CP info at least is not difficult to find.

I second this Edward. A chief piot examination can be an open book affair where emphasis is placed in knowing where to look to find relevant information and legislation. Get this down pat by finding all the relevent information regarding the application youself. You are not so much asked to answer stuff off the top of your head in a CP interview, more, you need the ability show that you can competently find correct answers.

outnabout
20th Oct 2011, 21:52
There is an excellent publication by the Aviation Theory Centre called the Pilot's Index. These gives you the relevant reference for any topic. For example, under Cargo, the sub-headings are Documents to be Carried CAR 319; in pilot compartment, CAO 20.16.2.6.1; on a control seat, CAO 20.16.2; Statement of Content, ACT 22; etc, etc. Costs about $20 from any good pilot shop.

I recommend the Pilot's Index to you as an invaluable navaid.