PDA

View Full Version : From Zero to ATPL

spudskier
26th Jan 2002, 23:49
Ok, so I'm in flight school at Ohio State University. I know all the different things I need, ratings, flight time, type of flight time and the fact that one obviously doesn't get into the regional airlines right off the bat after college only having around 250 hours. (not that I've heard of anyway) and OSU has told me I'll graduate with 250-350 hours, my Instrument, multi-engine, and commercial ratings. (CFI rating is optional)

how many years with a decent market, is normal before one has enough hours/experience to even think about getting hired by a regional airline? And keep in mind I won't graduate for another 2 years or so and the market will be obviously different than it is now...

easondown
29th Jan 2002, 23:47
I live in the UK, although I did all of my initial training in the USA ie, PPL-CFII etc. From what I could see, from the instructors I worked with, none of them were getting hired with less than 3000 hrs of which 2000 were twin hours. It is so difficult to get into the rhs of an airline in the states. I left USA with 1700 tt including 500 twin and got a rhs of an airbus in the UK after my conversion. I reckon it will probably take u at least 2-years of multi engine instruction before the commuters will even look at your cv. - Hope this isn't too depresing - anything worth having isn't easy.

ps. You may slightly improve your chances of employment if you get yourself a type rating ie B737 etc.