PDA

View Full Version : HINGE KNACKERED.

TURIN
18th Oct 2011, 10:23
Just ordered a replacement pair of hinges for my HP Compaq Presario lap top.

Anyone here got any tips for the job in hand?

Thanks in advance. :ok:

mixture
18th Oct 2011, 11:23
Ooh...it's been a long time since I've replaced a pair of hinges on a laptop !

Generally not a particularly pleasant task, although the worst bit tends to be the fiddly display ribbon and power connectors.

If you can, get hold of the service manual for your laptop. That will stop you disassembling more of it than you need to, and provide guidance in the right direction.

Otherwise, maybe a poke around youtube, sometimes kind souls have made short films showing what needs to be done.

Don't forget anti-static precautions !

P.S. Have a suitable set of containers at your disposal for storing screws etc.... and take your time, don't rush it and don't force anything !

The late XV105
18th Oct 2011, 11:32
Not much to add to mixture's advice beyond taking digital photographs at various stages of disassembly to aid future reassembly. On a few occasions this has helped me get things right first time if I've been comprehensively interrupted during dismantling of a device.

TURIN
18th Oct 2011, 12:41
Thanks for that.

I have looked at a couple of YT vids but they lack detail. Also, one of them is a dismantle job and he chucked various bits and pieces away as he was just interested in the screen and mother board to sell on.

I'll let you know how I get on and take plenty of photos for future reference.

Thanks again. :ok:

None of the above
18th Oct 2011, 17:31
Something here might help:

Laptop service manuals. (http://www.tim.id.au/blog/tims-laptop-service-manuals/#toc-compaqhp)

TURIN
19th Oct 2011, 20:43
Job done.

The service manual helped but there are short cuts.

You can get away with leaving the wires attached if you're careful.

Thanks again. :ok:

Tim_CPL
20th Oct 2011, 20:55
"I can't tell you mow many screws there were, but I counted them all out and I counted them all back!"An old adage from the Falklands war that works well when disassembling anything, especially fiddly laptops....