PDA

View Full Version : Air NZ Regional fleet announcement

empacher48
18th Oct 2011, 06:18
Let the speculation begin...

Air New Zealand Fleet Announcement | infonews.co.nz New Zealand's local news community (http://infonews.co.nz/news.cfm?id=78313)

mattyj
18th Oct 2011, 07:55
Hmmm...what could it be? The Beech's haven't been the pot of gold that 'experts' promised..but whats out there..the smallest pressurised turbines are ATRs or Q400s still in production...? The recruitment is being clawed off the Link carriers and done by Auckland..could it be the whole link network is taken over by the mothership?

Artificial Horizon
18th Oct 2011, 08:00
Surely they will just rationalise the whole fleet into Dash 8 Q300's and Q400's. Merge the whole lot together and have one type to train people on with one recruitment process and one maintenance type. Or is that to simple ??

NoseGear
18th Oct 2011, 09:56
You mean like when they had the Friendships.....:E

I'm with AH on this one, get the smaller 100/200 Dash 8s (there I said it, DASH 8:eek:) for Eagle, and the Q400's for Mt Chook and be done with it. Pretty sure the 300 and 400 are not a common type rating but perhaps someone in the know could confirm?

Whatever, it'll be interesting to see what comes of it.

waren9
18th Oct 2011, 10:10
My bet.

Severe rationalisation of the 3 businesses. Duplication removed with maint, crewing, flight ops, admin etc maybe even all under 1 AOC. The fleet types will remain.

This has been Shambletons project since leaving Air Nelson.

Luke SkyToddler
18th Oct 2011, 10:23
^^^ I'm with waren

Cook / Nelson / Eagle to get wrapped up and rolled up into one single entity, lots of duplicated and triplicated jobs to get removed. The writing's been on the wall for years now

Skystar320
18th Oct 2011, 11:53
They will go for DHC6-400's

troppo
18th Oct 2011, 16:50
Yesterday's technology tomorrow.
They are gonna bring back the EMB110 :}

scon
18th Oct 2011, 20:17
Air NZ Expected To Spend Hundreds Of Millions On... | Stuff.co.nz (http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/5810162/Air-NZ-tipped-to-spend-big)

27/09
18th Oct 2011, 21:03
I'll go with the new ATRs. I think the stuff article covers it fairly well.

The ATR runs rings around the Q400 from a cost point of view especially in NZ where the relatively short average sector length doesn't allow the Q400 to employ it's full potential.

As for the unification of the three link operators, I reckon that's a possibility but not in the near future.

The common type? I don't think that's about to happen either. The Dash 8 100, 200 & 300 are out of production, plus they're old technology, I heard that some of the Air Nelson guys considered their old Saab 340s to be a generation ahead of the Dash 8 technology wise.

My money is on the announcement being new generation ATRs.

aluminium hail
18th Oct 2011, 21:15
I heard a while back there was a plan for 6 extra ATR's, in part to cover CHC-WLG sector as it is too short for the A320. However I don't see much point in only getting 6 and having a split fleet so maybe 17 new -600's?

Here's hoping there's some better seats on the -600 options list.

Goat Whisperer
18th Oct 2011, 22:44
from the above stuff.co.nz article:

Centre for Aviation analyst Will Horton said: "The experience from Virgin Australia is that the ATR72's economics are better than the Q400."

After 24 hours of Virgin operating the type in passenger service? Or was it written a day ago on the basis of the proving flights?

Uh huh.

kiwilad
19th Oct 2011, 00:22
Ghost W, I think that statement is made on their GM having good knowledge of the QFLink Q400 operation.

Snippet on radio says 12 ATR600's starting from this time next year.

Air NZ unveils $340m plane spend-up - Business - NZ Herald News (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=10760176)

Karaka
19th Oct 2011, 00:58
Air NZ advise today that they have ordered seven new-generation ATR72-600 aircraft with purchase options for a further five worth a total list price of US$270 million. Today’s announcement will significantly boost air service connections to regional New Zealand.

The first of the 68 seat ATR72-600 aircraft will be delivered in October 2012 followed by a second in December that year, two in 2013 and another each year for three years. The five purchase options are available for delivery between 2014 and 2016.

This follows Air New Zealand’s investment in 23 Q300 aircraft over the past six years worth more than NZ$450 million at list price and the purchase from lease of the majority of ATR72-500 fleet over the past eighteen months.

The new-generation ATR72-600 is the most efficient aircraft in its class and features a new cabin layout with larger overhead bins, improved seating and advanced cockpit technology including Required Navigation Performance (RNP) technology. The introduction of RNP will further enhance our ability to maintain services during inclement weather to and from destinations like Queenstown, Rotorua and Wellington.

The new ATR 72-600 aircraft will give the means to up-gauge Q300 operated routes that will require more capacity in the coming years. In turn, this will release Q300 aircraft to up-gauge on some Beech 1900D operated routes, enabling us to look at start-up routes. So there is benefit in bringing in the larger turbo-props and cascading growth down throughout our regional operation. It is likely that some routes currently serviced by the smaller Q300, such as Nelson-Auckland and New Plymouth-Auckland, will see this larger turbo-prop in use.

It’s likely that the new fleet will be Auckland-based, providing us with an excellent spread of regional aircraft including bases in Christchurch, Nelson and Hamilton. This will give us a solid platform for regional growth particularly into and out of Auckland.

scon
19th Oct 2011, 01:25
It doesn't mention anywhere in the article but I imagine these will go to Mt Cook? And if the Auckland base as mentioned goes ahead I guess this entails an Auckland Mt Cook base, ( I don't believe they have one currently??)

BurntheBlue
19th Oct 2011, 03:07
Great news :}

(I don't believe they have one currently??)

No they don't, which presents an interesting scenario for those Mt Cook pilots that have recently jumped ship to live clear of the quake stricken Christchurch. Will they get a look in from an Auckland base? I think offering those Pilots that option would be a kind gesture on the part of the powers that be.

I'm on the outside looking in here and Auckland is where I call home. I'd also give my left kidney for a job with Cook so it would appear the planets are aligning... I'd juuuust like to see the aforementioned pilots taken care of first.

In any case, plenty of speculation to run under the bridge, let's just see how things pan out.

:ok::ok::ok:

27/09
19th Oct 2011, 03:37
It’s likely that the new fleet will be Auckland-based, providing us with an excellent spread of regional aircraft including bases in Christchurch, Nelson and Hamilton. This will give us a solid platform for regional growth particularly into and out of Auckland.

Does this also mean Mt Cook bases in Nelson and Hamilton as well as Christchurch and Auckland?

I think there were rumours a while back about a base or two outside of Christchurch. The earthquake may have given that a few more legs.

Water Wings
19th Oct 2011, 04:19
Does this also mean Mt Cook bases in Nelson and Hamilton as well as Christchurch and Auckland?

I think there were rumours a while back about a base or two outside of Christchurch. The earthquake may have given that a few more legs.

It was made clear in the press conference that no decision had been made around which entity will operate these new aircraft. The irony if Air NZ creates a new link carrier to operate these new ATRs given how so many Mt Cook pilots have been luke warm on the MECA idea where a pivotal clause centres around new aircraft having to be flown by exisiting link pilots (much water to go under the bridge I realise).

In all likelihood though, I would think the new aircraft will go to Cook. The airline will simply open an AA base which is easily done. Another reason this is likely, Fyfe kept talking up the RNP capability of the new aircraft for ZQN ops and I do not think we are going to be seeing AKL-ZQN on an ATR which leads me to think the aircraft will have a staging point much further south which could lend credence to Chook getting the new toys.

mattyj
19th Oct 2011, 06:17
Hmmm...$340 million ..so that's what a rugby world cup victory on Sunday will cost..cheers Rob..cheers France

c100driver
19th Oct 2011, 06:35
RNP AR is just as important at ROT and soon to be at AKL as well as ZQN.

geeup
19th Oct 2011, 08:28
Will the Mt Cook guys get a payrise for the new -600s?

The Cassidy Kid
19th Oct 2011, 08:51
Fat chance...

27/09
19th Oct 2011, 08:53
One report event suggests that the branding hasn't been decided yet.

A domestic version of Freedom anyone?

GoDirect
19th Oct 2011, 09:02
Even if (hopefully) the 600's are operated by Mt. Cook crew, the pay will not change as the contract specifies weight bands of aircraft, and the 600 and the 500 fall into the same pay bracket in the contract, so there would be no change (unless one was to be negotiated of course).

Sqwark2000
19th Oct 2011, 09:03
Will the Mt Cook guys get a payrise for the new -600s?

The -600 doesn't allow for any extra payload, and therefore continues to sit in the weight band that determines salary, so no.

And as is already been said, Mt Cook are not the automatic receivers of new toys similar to the their own..... yet.

slamer.
19th Oct 2011, 09:43
Air NZ unveils $340m plane spend-up

http://media.nzherald.co.nz/webcontent/image/jpg/201143/SCCZEN_A_131006SPLSBPLANE1_220x147.JPG Expand
(http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=10760176#)One of Air NZ's existing ATR aircraft.

Air New Zealand said today it would spend up to $340 million on 12 new ATR72-600 aircraft for its regional fleet.
The company said it would buy seven of the new planes, with an option for an additional five.
It currently owns 11 ATR72-500s.
Chief Executive Officer Rob Fyfe said today's announcement, which was subject to contract signing, would significantly boost air service connections to regional New Zealand.
"This order potentially doubles the size of Air New Zealand's ATR fleet and will put a further two million seats into the New Zealand regional market annually. For our customers that will mean a big increase in the number of business timed seats and seriously cheap grabaseat fares we have on regional routes every day."
The first of the 68 seat ATR72-600 aircraft will be delivered to Air New Zealand in October next year followed by a second in December.
Two will arrive in 2013 and another each year for three years.
"At a time when other businesses have shown little appetite to invest significantly in assets, particularly where revenue is derived from regional New Zealand, we have not waivered in our belief in the long-term strength of the domestic economy," said Fyfe.

"Thanks to the purchase of larger aircraft and the lowering of fares we have seen regional passenger numbers increase by an average 5.6 per cent annually since 2003, resulting in our regional airlines carrying 54 per cent more passengers to 4.3 million in the year ended September.
"Today's significant capital investment also signals that we will be upping our promotion of key regional centres at home and overseas as we will need to encourage even more people to fill those two million more seats coming on stream over the next few years."
Fyfe said the new-generation ATR72-600 was the most efficient aircraft in its class and features a new cabin layout with larger overhead bins, improved seating and advanced cockpit.
Air New Zealand's ability to maintain services during inclement weather to and from destinations like Queenstown, Rotorua and Wellington will improve with the better navigation technology.
Airline Group General Manager Australasia Airline Bruce Parton said the new plane gave it the means to "up-gauge" its Q300 operated routes that would require more capacity in the coming years.
This in turn, would release Q300 aircraft to up-gauge on some Beech 1900D operated routes, enabling it to look at new "start-up" routes.
"So there is benefit in bringing in the larger turbo-props and cascading growth down throughout our regional operation," he said.
It was likely that some routes currently serviced by the smaller Q300, such as Nelson-Auckland and New Plymouth-Auckland, would see this larger turbo-prop in use.
"It is likely that the new fleet will be Auckland-based, providing us with an excellent spread of regional aircraft including bases in Christchurch, Nelson and Hamilton. This will give us a solid platform for regional growth particularly into and out of Auckland."

Inverted Flat Spin
20th Oct 2011, 00:11
I hope everyone voted yes for MECA

Hopefully they don't start a new a new group called 'Propstar' and shaft us all :}:}:}

cavemanzk
20th Oct 2011, 01:17
One report event suggests that the branding hasn't been decided yet.

A domestic version of Freedom anyone?
Virgin New Zealand operated by Skywest

NZ buys the aircraft then leases them to Skywest, who then runs the flights on behalf of Virgin New Zealand who codeshares back to NZ

jarden
23rd Oct 2011, 17:18
NZ buys the aircraft then leases them to Skywest, who then runs the flights on behalf of Virgin New Zealand who codeshares back to NZIt does sound complicated, But I think it could work:)

kiwilad
23rd Oct 2011, 19:32
Not complicated just exactly like jetstar flying domestically in NZ.

All three AirNZ links are about to start negotiating. MECA here we come if it not too late now.

It is interesting listening to discussions in crew rooms. If this goes to another operator then look out the rest because within the not too distant future you will also have your work taken/transferred from you.

I would have thought that spending $300mil they would already have plans in place, but then the board did sign off on purchasing 2nd half of Ansett with no due diligence.:D

Time will tell it always does.

Artificial Horizon
23rd Oct 2011, 22:36
Hey, I have an idea, paint them bright yellow, call the new airline 'Freedom', employ the pilots on a new 'industry standard' contract and then make the pilots pay for their own type ratings. The tell the other 3 link carriers that they are just way too expensive and that the pilot wages are 'choking' the huge expansion plans that could have been for their airline. Let is run for a few years before then absorbing the whole lot back into the main group. Sounds like a winner to me :ok:

waren9
23rd Oct 2011, 23:58
Not sure what MECA means, but I highly doubt there would ever be all 3 link pilot groups on one contract. AirNZ would never risk being subjected to industrial action by all of its moneymakers all at once.

Shambleton often threatened the Air Nelson pilots with the consequences of no Saab replacement if they were seen as "too expensive".

Artificial Horizon
24th Oct 2011, 00:26
Waren9

It is a 'multi employer collective agreement', useful where the bulk of an agreement would be applicable across all three companies. Just with appendices which outline differences between the three. Will be interesting to watch, it does rely on the three different pilot groups agreeing on a lot of different issues. There in probably lies the problem when it comes to pilots, we are a suspicious bunch and always feel that there 'other' group is giving us the raw end of the deal some how. :ugh:

waren9
24th Oct 2011, 01:25
AH

The very name of it does not not sound like a win win to me. Cant see the pilots going for it then. What are the carrots?

What then also for the 3 seniority lists? (or 4 for that matter)

slamer.
31st Oct 2012, 08:30
Air NZ gets the keys to new plane

10:45 AM Wednesday Oct 31

http://media.nzherald.co.nz/webcontent/image/jpg/201244/airnz_blackATRSUPP_460x230.jpgAir

NZ's new ATR 72-600 regional aircraft.

Air New Zealand has taken delivery of the first of its new ATR 72-600 regional aircraft, this one painted in the all black livery.
The airline has a contract for seven of the the French-made 68-seat ATR 72-600 aircraft, plus options for another five, in a deal worth more than $320 million.
Former All Black Luke McAllister was at Toulouse to witness the handover overnight.
Air New Zealand chief executive Rob Fyfe said the aircraft handover was a significant milestone in the airline's ongoing commitment to growing the key domestic sector.
The order potentially doubles the size of Air New Zealand's ATR fleet and will put two million additional regional seats into the market, said Fyfe.
"We firmly believe in the importance of the domestic market and the long-term strength of the New Zealand economy."
The first ATR 72-600 aircraft will enter Air New Zealand subsidiary Mount Cook's fleet in mid-November.
Mount Cook general manager Sarah Williamson said the new ATRs will allow the airline to further expand its domestic operations with increased frequency and extra capacity as well as to service new ports.
Article continues below
The first aircraft will service Nelson and New Plymouth in addition to the ports where the ATR 72-500 currently flies.