PDA

View Full Version : Would a points system work?.

Kharon
17th Oct 2011, 22:22
Lots of threads lately alleging misconduct and rule breaking here lately; from joy flight aero's to chopper pilots behaving badly. Perhaps a bit of perspective is needed;

E.g. these guys in the powered hang glider thingy for instance. IFR my arse, it's a lovely sunny morning with some interesting fair weather Cu, tempting you bet. There would be few pilots who, with the opportunity as presented, could resist going for play around the edges, through the gaps and down the big holes - that's not illegal just pure fun. For my money the guy needs to be chipped for having 'cool tracks' playing in the intercom not the area/CTAF frequency; if an altitude restriction was busted that becomes a serious matter. Conflict with traffic in a place where they should not be without Comms is a hanging matter.

E.g. the 'dude' in the 172 joy flight episode, telling passengers to remove seat belts, doing badly executed half assed aero's and generally looking to get killed.

E.g. The helicopter pilot low flying and aero's a repeat offender according to the AAT.

E.g. The case of the low flying Dornier.

There is a trend here and it needs to be stopped before someone gets hurt (again).

The current system, allowing CASA to dictate who, where, how and the cost is clearly flawed. These should be court matters where the rules of evidence are clearly understood. You can't get done for shoplifting without clear evidence and the penalties are no where near as savage.

These guys may or may not have busted the regs, but a copper is obliged to prove it, in court; CASA ain't in the AAT. Perhaps if we are going to use the 'Criminal' code, then the same rules should apply to the justice metered out. Never heard of a Bank Robber, Kiddie fiddler, Rapist, Reckless driving nut job or a humble poacher going into arbitration.

Perhaps if the "authority" got real, the renegades and fools would pull their heads in and honest folk who made an 'error' could be dealt with on a points system, like the 'strict liability' offence of a parking or speeding ticket.

I know, simple minded dreamtime stuff but I do wish we had a level playing field.

Selah.

rijobe
17th Oct 2011, 22:35
just on the 'cool tracks' being played, and I might get corrected here, but dont those systems automatically cut out the music if a transmission is received so that he could still monitor correct frequency.

Worrals in the wilds
17th Oct 2011, 23:37
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but weren't these all Youtube 'gotchas'?
You can't get done for shoplifting without clear evidence and the penalties are no where near as savage. Putting footage on Youtube of yourself shoplifting will probably lead to trouble, though.

Without posting pictures on Youtube or having a mishap :eek:) the hanglider in the first instance probably isn't going to get copped, is he?

Youtube has been the downfall of a number of 'extreme sports' enthusiasts (including pilots) whose activities break the law. It's also been the downfall of a lot of vandals, hoons, train surfers and the like. The state coppers all keep an eye on the website and presumably CASA has finally learned to do the same thing. The cynic's point of view is that finding people who are dumb enough to publish evidence of their wrong doing in the public arena is a lot easier and cheaper than going out in the field investigating stuff. :hmm:

If you're silly enough to flout the rules and then publish evidence of it (whether you're cloud surfing or train surfing) then surely Darwin's Theory applies.