PDA

View Full Version : Just completed my IR... what next?

junglelander
16th Oct 2011, 03:28
First post on pprune.org!

I finished my IR within the past month and living in Florida to continue my CPL training. I have been going the Part 61 route thus far with about 190 TT. I'm studying for my CPL FAA knowledge test now to get it out of the way before I start flying again. Not sure what to do: stay Part 61 or find a Part 141 program to close out my certs/ratings/CFI to get an airline job. I got a taste of the Part 141 mentality and will only to do it if it provides a network for an airline job. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks guys for reading my post.

zondaracer
16th Oct 2011, 05:31
Welcome to the forum.

Part 61 vs Part 141 won't give you an advantage in finding an airline job. Your total number of hours (especially Multi engine) and who you know will be the factors that help you get a job.

Gomrath
16th Oct 2011, 16:34
Not sure what to do: stay Part 61 or find a Part 141 program to close out my certs/ratings/CFI to get an airline job. I got a taste of the Part 141 mentality and will only to do it if it provides a network for an airline job.

Welcome to the pprune forum.

You say you have 190hours TT.
You need to review FAR 61.129(a) to determine how close you are to meeting the aeronautical experience requirements under Part 61.
It is only advantageous to do a Commercial under Part 141 if you are a newly qualified Private/IR as Part 141 removes the need to have met the requirements of FAR 61.129(a) - Instead the Part 141 Commercial course will consume about 190 hours of training.
So you need to do the maths.

You say you are now living in Fl. Are you planning to convert your FAA to another country's licenses?

junglelander
16th Oct 2011, 17:53
Thanks Gomrath. I want to fly 747s internationally. I have not considered conversion to JAA or another ICAO country's licensure as part of my plan. My game plan is to get experience in the US via a regional airline and move on to eventually climb onto a 747 flightdeck. Everyone I talk to says there are NO shortcuts in aviation, but one gets a job because they know someone. There has got to be some avenue to get exposure to get to the 747 as fast as I can (meaning 5 years or so from now, not 15 years).

Will a license conversion get me there quicker? Suggestions? Which countries should be considered?

Gomrath
16th Oct 2011, 19:21
No need to worry about a conversion if you are a US citizen.
You might want to consider CFI in order to help towards the prerequisite number of hours that you are going to need.

Again, you will find plenty of advice within the forum.