PDA

View Full Version : aircraft bushfire reports.

catseye
16th Oct 2011, 02:03
posted on behalf of a colleague in emergency ops.

" the ability of aircraft to spot unknown large bushfires particularly at night is very useful with the large amount of grassland currently subject to dry lightning strikes. Western NSW, Territory and Western Qld are very high risk with probability of catastrophic conditions. Any fire info in remote areas will be greatfully received.

Can you pass on thanks to the crew on friday night that spotted the 3 unknown fires near Poeppels Corner. Might have been Emrats. "

Not sure if HF still works but the ex FS people can probably handle it...

Self explanatory really. :D

Desert Flower
18th Oct 2011, 09:57
the ability of aircraft to spot unknown large bushfires particularly at night is very useful with the large amount of grassland currently subject to dry lightning strikes. Western NSW, Territory and Western Qld are very high risk with probability of catastrophic conditions. Any fire info in remote areas will be greatfully received.

Am hearing quite a lot of these reports lately.

DF.

Cougar2063
25th Oct 2011, 23:20
Yes, it was Emirates. I was the ATC that took the report, and the crew wanted to know if they should make reports of any fires that they see.

They provided Lat/Long and approx dimensions.

2 other following internationals also reported the same fire.

VH-FTS
25th Oct 2011, 23:43
As a QLD 'local', it's hard to know when to report a fire - there are so many burning at various times between the Cape and Brissie. Any suggestions?

catseye
26th Oct 2011, 07:16
I'll ask. heard the current area is 1.2 million acres.

catseye

FlexibleResponse
26th Oct 2011, 12:25
Pilots see any number of bushfires on so many flights both day and night. They have no way of knowing if any of the fires have already been reported or indeed, if anyone is interested in the fires especially in some of the more remote areas.

Reporting format is another unknown...position, length, width, flame front or direction of apparent movement...etc?

A discreet frequency(s) for reporting of bushfires that is monitored by those interested in such reports would go a long way in promoting pilot reporting of fires.

nitpicker330
26th Oct 2011, 12:41
Surely the appropriate Govt dept would have access to Sat imaging to accurately map all outback Fires?

higherplane
26th Oct 2011, 23:35
There is a government web site that uses satellites to monitor bush fires (at least the large scale ones). I would have thought that the main ones that FESA would want to hear about would be those that look like they are a direct threat to people/property. I’ve got nothing to base that on though, just my thoughts.

Sentinel Hotspots (http://sentinel.ga.gov.au/acres/sentinel/)

FlexibleResponse
28th Oct 2011, 11:38
The Sentinel system looks very promising but has no dedicated satellite facilities...

...so, for the moment at least, the data reported on the Sentinel system can be some hours old depending on the last satellite pass that the system is piggybacking on...

Also the system is compromised by some false positive hot spots related to other activities that are not bushfires (see link provided by "higher plane" for details) which somewhat negates confidence in the present monitoring system.

So in the meantime, does "Emergency Ops" want pilot reports? If so, When, Where, How and Why? And in what format..?

nitpicker330
28th Oct 2011, 13:02
May I suggest a NOTAM be issued detailing the issue and what they would like us to report. :ok:

Desert Flower
28th Oct 2011, 22:22
It's not only bushfires that aircraft are reporting. I had a call yesterday morning from an aircraft departing YLEC for YCBP, reporting a very large water leak to the west of the town. If you are reading this Kenny, Terry from Town Services says well spotted & thank you!

DF.