PDA

View Full Version : Gemini Spacewalk?

tony draper
15th Oct 2011, 21:01
Watching NASA's Greatest Missions,tonight it is covering the Gemini missions where the ability to dock with other craft and Spacewalk was tested,ie the ability to operate outside the spacecraft in orbit,Gene Cernan experienced great difficulty on his mission and his spacewalk task had to be aborted unfinished,the commentator stated that if they could not walk in Space the Moon was out of their reach
Now correct me if I am wrong but at no point in the Apollo Moon missions was it a requirement to get outside the Command Module during the actual flight to the Moon,just a tad puzzled as to why they concidered this in flight spacewalking ability so important?
:confused:

Parapunter
15th Oct 2011, 21:11
For veracity, there was a spacewalk on the Apollo 9 test mission.

Manned Space Chronology: Apollo 9 (http://spaceline.org/flightchron/apollo9.html)

throw a dyce
15th Oct 2011, 21:18
On the later Apollo missions the command module pilot did a spacewalk to retrieve film from the service module.

Nemrytter
15th Oct 2011, 21:28
It was a very important capability to test in case of contingencies. The most important reason was in case of problems docking the LM to CSM after the ascent from the moon. If they couldn't dock (or the hatches didn't work) then the crew in the LM would have had to perform a space-walk back to the safety of the CM.
It was also important to test in case there were other problems. Just look at Apollo 13, equipment was used in ways people never expected. If some other unexpected thing had gone wrong then maybe a space-walk would have been needed, so it's good to have the experience in advance.

tony draper
15th Oct 2011, 21:32
Ah ok right! I watched them all when they happened and read a lot about it at the time but twere a long time ago and one misremembers now.
I suppose it may also have been necessary to get outside if the ascent stage could not dock with the command module after lifting off from the Moon,didn't think it through did I.
Been a good series.
:rolleyes:
oops!you beat me to it Mr S.:\

Parapunter
15th Oct 2011, 23:33
For all its faults & frailties, it would be a stretch to accuse NASA of not thinking things through.:)

11Fan
15th Oct 2011, 23:44
If the opportunity ever presents itself to see it, there's a great 12 part miniseries on the Spaceflight program. It was done by HBO and produced by Tom Hanks.

Saw it when it came out, then later got it as a gift. :ok:

From the Earth to the Moon (TV mini-series 1998) - IMDb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120570/)

B Fraser
16th Oct 2011, 09:29
Locking three men into an electronics lab called Apollo 1 and pumping in pure O2 at 1 Bar was an accident waiting to happen. Those men paid the ultimate price.

Thankfully the programme went on to give humanity our finest hours in the history of exploration and endeavour.

rh200
16th Oct 2011, 10:06
For all its faults & frailties, it would be a stretch to accuse NASA of not thinking things through

And sometimes not, though its easy to be critical in hind site.

Locking three men into an electronics lab called Apollo 1 and pumping in pure O2 at 1 Bar was an accident waiting to happen. Those men paid the ultimate price.

There was all manner of improvements that got done due to that accident, not just the O2 bit.

Parapunter
16th Oct 2011, 10:08
The only way to avoid failure is to avoid risks. No advance ever came from sitting on ones arse doing nothing.

Windy Militant
16th Oct 2011, 11:09
Mr D if you can catch Moon Machines when it's repeated you'll see the design of the Moon suit was not a simple task. They are effectively a personal space craft.
The early space walks both Russian and American showed you a number of problems they had not fully anticipated, one being how to make gloves that did not inflated rigidly when under pressure, another was temperature control, which was solved using a water cooling system which was based on a design thought up by the Boffins at the RAE at Farnborough. ;)

Sir George Cayley
16th Oct 2011, 21:50
Whatever. They were all heroes. End of.

SGC