PDA

View Full Version : Binoculars (to look through, not the man)

Loose rivets
15th Oct 2011, 00:24
I want to get another pair of binoculars. Right now, the moon is chasing Jupiter across my window. Even with my mum's small binocs, the moons are pretty spectacular. During the day I watch the progress of the wind turbines and keep any eye out for any luckless sailboats on the sand banks.

The coastguard station only dreams of view like this.

I'd like to get something not too heavy, but c 40 mm across. With image stabilization. I read it can lock on and contain a 3 degree wobble. That would about cover my shake on all but the windiest of days.

Any ideas?

lomapaseo
15th Oct 2011, 00:33
I use a Canon 18X50 IS UD 3.7 for watching birds, shuttle launches etc. that don't move arround much

Great for seafaring stuff where the object is easily found.

Bushfiva
15th Oct 2011, 01:14
I have Canon stabilised binocs (among others), and they work very well. However, they are 10x30 so the exit pupil is 3 mm diameter. If you like looking at things in the night, you want something where the exit pupil is around 7 mm -- the same as the average dilated pupil. That will allow the most light to hit the retina, giving you the brightest image. So although 10x50 is the "standard" big binocular, stargazing types go for 7x50. It works for all other apertures. So for maximum effective light transmission with a 40 mm binoc, you want a magification around (40/7) mm.

Also, consider eye relief if you need to wear glasses.

11Fan
15th Oct 2011, 03:10
I went with these to supplement my telescope viewing. More for daylight, but they work well for light stargazing.

http://images1.opticsplanet.com/180-180-ffffff/opplanet-nikon-8x36-monarch-atb-binoculars-7513.png

Nikon 8x36mm Monarch ATB Binoculars - Binoculars at Binoculars (http://www.binoculars.com/binoculars/bird-watching-binoculars/8x36monarchatb.cfm)

Best when propped on a camera tripod. They have the thread hole at the bottom like a camera.

Ozzy
15th Oct 2011, 03:44
I am about to invest in this set

http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-71018-SkyMaster-20x80-Binoculars/dp/B0007UQNTU

Ozzy

Helol
15th Oct 2011, 06:48
Get a diascope instead. I have the Zeiss 85 T* FL - worth every penny.

Personally I think the 8x42 bins are much more comfortable to hold, but each to their own. Interestingly, most wildlife watchers I know (and a few professional ones too) tend not to use the 7x50 etc, they use the 7x42 or the 8x42 instead.

Remember the dreaded chromatic aberration when thinking of what bins to purchase. In this case, you do indeed get what you pay for.

One tip - While most binoculars perform pretty ok..ish when trying them on during daylight hours - try them in the low light conditions.

tony draper
15th Oct 2011, 15:22
Best to invest in a stout tripod as well Mr Ozzy I have a pair of 60x80 zooms,no good without sturdy mount.
The best binocs I ever held up to me eyes were a pair of Ross 7x50 Gunsight Binoculars,made in wartime with increadable optics,very very heavy so they came on a heavy tripod,loaned them to someone and they came back with one side knackered by water ingress,stripped them right down and inadvertantly took one side of the body to the tip so now I have a Ross monocular.
Think I paid about twenty quid for them from exchange and mart in 1970,they go for hundreds now.:(
This is a identical pair,mine were in better nick,this particular set is on ebay for $1270
:(
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a194/Deaddogbay/8c0b_1.jpg

Bushfiva
15th Oct 2011, 15:37
You just need to do the math. 7x50 gives an exit pupil of 7 mm. In the modern vernacular, an immersive experience. 60x80 zooms give an exit pupil of 1.3 mm: firstly, impossible to give a full field of view in the mk 1 eyeball, and secondly the 7 x 50 delivers 27 times as much light to the eyeball. Light is everything.

tony draper
15th Oct 2011, 15:46
I know all that Mr B,built a few telescopes in me time and read up on optics,mine are 60x80s are Chinese ones prolly built in a sweat shop,but the optics are not bad,good smooth zoom good low light and daylight performance,bit of chromatic abberation but obviously you get what you pay for and I didn't pay much forrem,just bought em out of curiosity.
This is what is left of my pair of Ross 7x50,wish I had left em alone:(
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a194/Deaddogbay/2011-10-1516-35-46420.jpg

Loose rivets
15th Oct 2011, 18:04
stripped them right down and inadvertantly took one side of the body to the tip

Oooo . . . that caused a sharp intake of breath!

After mentioning my desires, my mate here on the clifftop - the father of my landlady - handed me a pair of non-stabilized. "The dog's something or another," he called them. Odd name for binoculars. Anyway, when he's here again I'll stick them in the Photobucket to see what you all think of them. He may just sell them when the one's he's just brought on e-bay hit these shores, though I am getting to need that stabilization. The new ones he's getting are apparently cheap at nearly $2,000, so I'm longing to have a gawp through those.

If I feel we can keep this place on*, what I really would like to do is tear out this window and put in one that can open fully. Then shoot a @$%^@$ great orange light out - the only one on this part of the cliffs. It's well to one side, so not too bad. But it's totally dark here apart from that. Perhaps a hidden switch at the base that the council can't find.

*flippin' costs here!!!!!!! It's years since I wintered back home and I'm frozen already, and it's only down to 13c.:ooh:

tony draper
15th Oct 2011, 20:24
Twere a interesting excercise dismantling summat so well made as those Ross binocs,the theads on the parts that screwed together ie the objective cell and such were not only increadably fine they were also sealed with a sort of tarred string,they took some shifting,the water got in through a hole where origionally a small lamp was fitted that illuminated the crosshair graticule,it had a small sealing bolt was screwed in place whem the light was removed I had taken out and forgot to reinstall,the binocs were left outside in a garden for days on their tripod and sods law the hole allowed moisture to enter.
Buggrit!:(
Image stabalisation? bloody hell what will they think of next.:rolleyes:

Loose rivets
16th Oct 2011, 15:12
These look like them, but mate is not here so don't want to mess with them till he's back

Swarovski EL 12x50 Swarovision Binoculars (EL-1S4L20-0) - Warehouse Express (http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-swarovski-el-12x50-swarovision-binoculars/p1523785)

Molemot
16th Oct 2011, 15:21
Image stabilisation....take broom. Invert so broom head is uppermost. Place binos on broom head, broom handle on the ground.
A bit low tech but good for stable images....

Cheap, too.

Solid Rust Twotter
16th Oct 2011, 16:35
Teach you to loan yer kit to others, yer Admiralship. Saw a U-boat sextant in a case at a militaria auction, but they wanted an insane amount of money for it. Worth it though....:ok:

tony draper
16th Oct 2011, 16:56
Exchange and Mart was the ebay of my time,I just missed out on a pair of 40x100s tripod mounted military binocs,much sought after by Comet Hunters and such,rare as hens teeth and exceedingly pricey even then,I had a arrangement with me newsagent and I got me E&M early,soon as I saw the add I broke me neck to get to a phone,missed it by about thirty seconds after some other buggah who had a similar arangement with his newagent got here before me,they went for a ridiculously low price,probably someones kin had died leaving them and the seller had no idea what he had inherited
:uhoh:

G-CPTN
16th Oct 2011, 17:34
I have a pair of Russian (Tento Gnu) 20x60s.

I have a Manfrotto suction-grip 'ball-joint' support that sticks to any smooth surface (such as a painted wooden windowsill), or I can mount them onto a tripod.

Loose rivets
16th Oct 2011, 17:59
Do you trust the gripshun of such things? 20 X 60 is a serious bit of kit. I guess you'd have to be very careful not to move them just by touching the eyepiece.

The one my mate has are 8 X 50. A huge amount of money more than the nice little ones I already have. They're good but not enough of an improvement to make me salivate.

This is the pair he's purchased - or one of two available. Zeiss 8x45T*RF Victory Rangefinding Binoc 524516 NEW | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350449130784?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2Fsch%2Fi.h tml%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp3984.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3D3504 49130784%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1)

The stabilization will be the big issue.

G-CPTN
16th Oct 2011, 18:10
The suction thingy is about 4 inches in diameter.

Ozzy
16th Oct 2011, 21:03
Best to invest in a stout tripod as well Mr Ozzy I have a pair of 60x80 zooms,no good without sturdy mount.

I agree Mr Draper, here's what I am going to get with the binos Amazon.com: Celestron Heavy-Duty Altazimuth Tripod: Camera & Photo

Ozzy

tony draper
16th Oct 2011, 21:11
Dont forget to get on of these as well Mr Ozzy.:)
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a194/Deaddogbay/P12034067.jpg

Loose rivets
18th Oct 2011, 00:41
I hadn't cottoned on to the fact that the prime function of the binocs my mate had ordered was one of range-finding. They squirt a laser beam and detect it a itsy-tad later.

Poor Foxes. I can't shoot a flea, but mate is a wildfowler. Wild? I bet the fowls are bloody furious - not to mention the foxes.

Foxes?

I told you not to mention the foxes! :*:*