PDA

View Full Version : Scilly Isles Route

Pages : 1 [2]

davidjohnson6
1st Jul 2020, 22:38
Anyone reading this in either Penzance or Scilly ?
All ready for the restart on Saturday of commercial passenger ops at Penzance's new heliport and Tresco, along with ISC getting a 2nd destination ?

jensdad
2nd Jul 2020, 00:01
Anyone reading this in either Penzance or Scilly ?
All ready for the restart on Saturday of commercial passenger ops at Penzance's new heliport and Tresco, along with ISC getting a 2nd destination ?
A 3rd if you include Tresco :)

POBJOY
2nd Jul 2020, 14:46
This is a welcome addition to Isles of Scilly and indeed Penzance. The loss of the original Heliport was also a loss to the spin off trade in Penzance which it could ill afford.
Although aimed at the Tresco market the new service offers an 'independent' alternative that include St Marys.
The benefit of a sea level location, and convenient train facilities is another factor in its suitability, although it will require a very high level of serviceability to achieve its purpose until a second machine is available.
The ticket cost reflects the actual reality of operating expensive equipment on limited routes with small payloads, but is not that far removed from the fixed wing alternative.
Some years ago an independent survey showed that any 'aviation' operation was going to be difficult to sustain, and so it has proved, as the sheer cost of running airports at either end of the route has risen beyond their economic return. For a 15 min flight the ticket price is now well above what most pax are used to in the rather more competitive world of airlines.
With Tresco as its main customer, and a favourable weather friendly location, the new Heliport will offer an excellent facility for those who can afford high end travel.

kcockayne
2nd Jul 2020, 18:23
POBJOY
How very true on the ticket prices. I was going to make a day trip to the Scillies in September, but the prices have frightened me off - upwards of £400 for 2 people (£500+ for the helicopter). That, & the fact that they are not taking day trip bookings for the moment.

davidjohnson6
2nd Jul 2020, 19:21
I've just done a dummy booking for 14 July - out from Penzance to Tresco in the morning, back in the late afternoon - the website seems to be happy to do the booking and ask for my credit card.
£245 for a day trip for 1 person is a touch on the expensive side, but last year people seemed quite happy to pay a similiar price on the helicopter for Land's End-St Mary's - although I guess some people might have done the helicopter just one way for the novelty and travelled by fixed wing / ship in the other direction

northsands
4th Jul 2020, 10:05
Can anyone confirm if Penzance helicopter services re-started today, 4th July, as expected?
What helicopter type is being used?

EGTE
5th Jul 2020, 11:50
An AW.169 G-CMCL is currently at Penzance for the service.

davidjohnson6
21st Jul 2020, 19:04
G-CMCL (AW169) seems to have moved to London,to be replaced by two AW109s
I noticed that in the hangar at Penzance, a large helicopter - heard something about it needing repairs but didn't have time to chat properly at the time of the conversation

Anyone know what is in the hangar and why ?

Separately, I understand Sloane plan to run helicopters between Penzance and Scilly in winter. With the tourists gone in November, can this really be viable in competition with Skybus ? Doesn't seem like that big a market outside tourist season...

EGTE
21st Jul 2020, 20:41
The Sikorsky S.92 G-LAWX headed down that way a couple of days ago. Perhaps that is what is in the hangar.

Martin the Martian
4th Aug 2020, 09:59
Separately, I understand Sloane plan to run helicopters between Penzance and Scilly in winter. With the tourists gone in November, can this really be viable in competition with Skybus ? Doesn't seem like that big a market outside tourist season...

BIH managed it. And don't forget that the Scillonian III doesn't operate for much of the winter, so the available passenger capacity going to the islands is far smaller.

frebethemature
4th Aug 2020, 11:26
The Sikorsky S.92 G-LAWX headed down that way a couple of days ago. Perhaps that is what is in the hangar.

Correct! There are a few videos on YouTube of G-LAWX in Penzance doing the Scilly route. Exciting to see a larger helicopter doing the route again and seems far more sensible than running two small helicopters at the same time. Wonder how long it'll be around? Haven't heard many updates about the AW139 delivery that was halted due to COVID.

pennineuk
4th Aug 2020, 14:51
I've just done a dummy booking for 14 July - out from Penzance to Tresco in the morning, back in the late afternoon - the website seems to be happy to do the booking and ask for my credit card.
£245 for a day trip for 1 person is a touch on the expensive side, but last year people seemed quite happy to pay a similiar price on the helicopter for Land's End-St Mary's - although I guess some people might have done the helicopter just one way for the novelty and travelled by fixed wing / ship in the other direction

Penzance Helicopters are now offering £125 day returns bookable the day before travel. Details on their Facebook site. Bookable only day before travel.