PDA

View Full Version : Basic training in London

mikeinbim
14th Oct 2011, 02:35
Hi, I'm new here, and was wondering if I could get some help from some professionals. I am extremely interested in getting into engineering. I've realised that a major way to get into the field is through apprenticeships. However, I am not able to get a permit that would allow me to be an apprentice. Therefore, what are some of the institutions that teach from having absolutely zero hours experience, to being a fully qualified, licenced engineer? I've highlighted London for a series of personal reasons, but if there are any other institutions, please alert me to them.
Thanks

mikeinbim
14th Oct 2011, 14:20
that is something I looked at, but its expensive, and I would need to take out a large loan. So are there any facilities that do training? Does LRTT train without prior experience?

Genghis the Engineer
14th Oct 2011, 19:39
Welcome to the aerospace industry.

All training in this industry, whether you go into aircraft or spacecraft, engineering or operations, civil or military is...

(a) Bloody tough
(b) Bloody expensive.

The military route allows you to pay in years of your life rather than money, but that's about it.

Sorry, but that's just how it is.

G

Sonic Bam
15th Oct 2011, 12:54
LRTT - yes, they do. Speak to them directly.

mikeinbim
15th Oct 2011, 13:40
Thanks. I know its going to be expensive, but I've decided I need to bite the bullet and get that loan, and be tied down to it for a few years :ugh: And I'll try sending LRTT an email or giving a call next week.
I was wondering though, is getting an engineering degree from Kingston, City University, etc, overkill for being a maintenance engineer?

spannersatcx
15th Oct 2011, 15:35
you could also try AST (http://www.airservicetraining.co.uk/):ok:
A degree will serve no purpose towards getting a maintenance Licence.

mikeinbim
15th Oct 2011, 17:09
That's what I thought also. As long a shot as it is, does anyone know of any engineers in Barbados that I can maybe email or call for some advice?

mikeinbim
16th Oct 2011, 18:02
Is anyone aware of any apprenticeships which are open to non-EU persons?