PDA

View Full Version : Online First Aid course

JRC0001
13th Oct 2011, 22:48
Hello EveryBody....

I'm looking for online First Aid course...
Any suggestion....???
Cheaper and faster is appreciate....

Rgs

WS-G
13th Oct 2011, 23:13
Some good courses exist wherein the theory is taught online, HOWEVER, you would do well to avoid any that do not include a practical component (i.e.: a final exam, a the very least). I happen to teach First Aid, CPR, and several other related courses through the American Red Cross and the American Heart Association. Some of our course work can be completed online, HOWEVER, the student is required to present himself in person and pass a practical test before he can be certified.

The local office of your own national Red Cross society should be able (assuming the various European societies are set up similarly to those here in North America) to get you certified in the course of a single day, and at a reasonable price, so why not inquire with them? If they cannot offer a course that meets your needs, they should be able to recommend someone else who can.

WS-G
14th Oct 2011, 22:13
I neglected to mention this in my previous post: you may wish to look into a course that is specifically offered as either Wilderness First Aid or Remote First Aid. This is somewhat more detailed than Standard First Aid, and is typically conducted over an entire weekend. Again, some with an online theory component may be available, but you should still plan for at least one entire day for the practical portion. The one the Red Cross in my country offers, for example, requires a minimum of 16 hours of instruuction, versus the mandated 4 hours for the Standard course. European-based courses will likely be similar (i.e.: human anatomy and physiology is the same regardless of one's nationality).

Although you did not list the purpose for which you intend to take a course in first aid, I am assuming that you need it for potential employment? If so, having a wilderness/remote course is preferred if your job is going to involve taking passengers into areas that are more than one hour transport time from a hospital. Otherwise, a standard course will likely suffice. Aside from being good commonsense, this is for liability reasons.

In either case, you will also want to make certain that you obtain CPR certification (may or may not be a separate course) to include the use of the automated external defibrillator (AED). The AED is not difficult at all, however there are certain precautions that absolutely must be followed. A course in emergency oxygen administration (medical, not aviator's!) generally is a good idea as well.

Good on you for taking the effort to learn, and best of luck finding the course that's right for your situation. Please keep us posted on what you find and decide upon.

Blues&twos
22nd Oct 2011, 20:55
But seriously, what possible use is an online FA course? Performing first aid isan entirely practical experience! From assessing a situation to talking to your casualties and patching them up/saving their lives, handing them over to professional medical care and knowing what to do when things suddenly change, its all hands-on stuff. Get yourself on a proper course!

osmosis
22nd Oct 2011, 23:59
In the last few days I have enrolled in an "Apply First Aid" course with the intention of completing what was once called an "Advanced" Certificate soon after. With manual and questionnaire, I have completed a lengthy open book test and have learnt (and relearnt) quite a lot of information I personally see as dry. Typically, I had never known how critical it is for a heavily pregnant casualty to be positioned very specifically, nor the reasons why. Another example is spider bite treatment. One particular species of spider bite here requires heat treatment, another species requires ice.

I am now looking forward to the second component of my course, classroom participation & involvement. Learning online is one thing, engaging with others is something else entirely and has it's benefits.

In another life, I designed and implemented intensive courses on various topics and, as facilitator, I discovered there is much to be learned from group involvement, often in a social setting. Online education has it's benefits but it also has limitations.

Genghis the Engineer
16th Nov 2011, 06:56
I'm reading this visualising practicing CPR, 6cm deep, on the space bar, 100-120 bpm. Check the USB port is clear, then 2 breaths.

On the other hand, always putting on protective gloves and checking it's safe to approach my laptop, might not be a bad idea. :}

G

gingernut
16th Nov 2011, 21:03
Ah yes, 100-120bpm.

Recently undertook a CPR refresher, the trainer played "staying alive" as we clicked the sternum to the correct depth and tempo.

Couldn't help feeling the irony:)

Can't give you any specific advice, JRC. I think it depends on your situation. I would have thought that any course that concentrated on ABC as a priority would be a good starting point. Whenever I've been called to give first aid, I've either called an Ambulance (them boy's/girls are the experts) or they've died.

AED's are a good fun,(although I think the're may be problems using on the beach and maybe helicopters) and I seem to remember reading somewhere that they save about 200 lives a year.(UK). Find it amazing that you're average doctors surgery dosn't have one, yet the local Co-Op does.

Genghis the Engineer
16th Nov 2011, 21:36
"Another one bites the dust" also has the right tempo, but is best not sung out loud.

G

gingernut
16th Nov 2011, 21:54
Ah well, that's where your going wrong GtE, it's only got a tempo of 100, and it is slightly arrhythmic. Which could be why, another one bites the dust.

Bum - Bum - Bum (tempo30), another one bites the dust. And another one bites, another one bites, (tempo40)..... how do you think I'm gotta get along (tempo-loads)

Someone pass the Warfarin:)

Spent many years performing CPR, and most patient's died. Hope to think things have moved on a bit now-think these AED's may take some of the guess work out of the equation. Not sure about the Gibbs or Freddie though.

Genghis the Engineer
17th Nov 2011, 09:16
(Actually I mostly use Nellie the Elephant).

Teaching now is that CPR is almost certain NOT to save a life alone - only delay death until an AED can be found and used.

G

stevep64
22nd Nov 2011, 05:51
I renewed my first aid certificate a couple of months ago and decided to do the theory part online because of work commitments. It meant I only had to spend three hours in a class room doing the CPR and bandaging, and being shown how to use an AED.
I wouldn't really recommend it to someone that has never done a first aid course before. It's too easy to get through without really understanding the theory, since you can do the assessments as many times as you want till you pass. It's a lot easier to remember stuff if you've done it in a role play situation like you would in a classroom.