View Full Version : The Blackberry system is down

sirwa69
13th Oct 2011, 16:37
My Blackberry is not working.

My Blackberry Is Not Working! - The One Ronnie, Preview - BBC One - YouTube

Ho Ho Ho :} Hic!

Cacophonix
13th Oct 2011, 16:53
I see that the problems originated in a data centre in Slough, a fact that wouldn't have surprised Sir John Betjeman...

Caco

Come friendly bombs and fall on Slough!
It isn't fit for humans now,
There isn't grass to graze a cow.
Swarm over, Death!

Come, bombs and blow to smithereens
Those air -conditioned, bright canteens,
Tinned fruit, tinned meat, tinned milk, tinned beans,
Tinned minds, tinned breath.

Mess up the mess they call a town-
A house for ninety-seven down
And once a week a half a crown
For twenty years.

And get that man with double chin
Who'll always cheat and always win,
Who washes his repulsive skin
In women's tears:

And smash his desk of polished oak
And smash his hands so used to stroke
And stop his boring dirty joke
And make him yell.

But spare the bald young clerks who add
The profits of the stinking cad;
It's not their fault that they are mad,
They've tasted Hell.

It's not their fault they do not know
The birdsong from the radio,
It's not their fault they often go
To Maidenhead

And talk of sport and makes of cars
In various bogus-Tudor bars
And daren't look up and see the stars
But belch instead.

In labour-saving homes, with care
Their wives frizz out peroxide hair
And dry it in synthetic air
And paint their nails.

Come, friendly bombs and fall on Slough
To get it ready for the plough.
The cabbages are coming now;
The earth exhales

SpringHeeledJack
19th Oct 2011, 07:46
One giant crash for BlackBerry... but 40% fewer CAR crashes for motorists in the Middle East during smartphone outage | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2050656/One-giant-crash-BlackBerry--40-fewer-CAR-crashes-motorists-Middle-East-smartphone-outage.html)

If it wasn't so serious a subject (using phones whilst driving) it would be laughable. That's quite a drop statistically speaking and it makes you wonder. I'd be curious to know if the number of pedestrian pavement incursions reduced as well during this black(berry)out ;)

SHJ

Alloa Akbar
19th Oct 2011, 08:38
WTF is going on with Blackberry? Surely SOMEBODY on Pprune has some inside track on it? This is ridiculous.. :mad:

Capetonian
19th Oct 2011, 08:56
So things haven't changed much in Slough since John Betjeman penned that ditty. If anything, it's worse now, although you can get a decent curry, and a few good looking women there who speak proper English - need I add that they are Polish!

This morning I got 2 messages that a friend had sent me from his Blackberry nearly a week ago.

603DX
19th Oct 2011, 10:02
WTF is going on with Blackberry? Surely SOMEBODY on Pprune has some inside track on it? This is ridiculous.. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/censored.gif

Oh dear. How sad. Never mind. One's trendy toy and dummy-substitute has gone and bust itself. It's gone futu, as the good patois-speaking folk of Guernsey say.

Speaking only for myself, you understand, it's quite handy to have an inexpensive pay-as-you-go cellphone in the car when I go out. Switched off. In the glove compartment, where it stays for 99.99% of the time as a means of summoning help if the car goes phut one dark wet night far from home. I can't be alone in disliking the idea of being on the receiving end of telephone calls during my treasured "me-time", when out and about? Many, many years of feeling compelled to answer and deal with work phone calls have provided more than enough human contact via that devilish device, to see me out. And as for shilly-shallying about playing on the interweb thingy via those poky little toys, that's worse than Clive Sinclair's titchy little white plastic mini-calculator back in the seventies, with its triple-function clicky buttons! Use the British-invented internet on your home desktops like the good lord intended, not on those sissy little phone/texting/shopping/cinema seat booking/Googling/game playing overgrown children's toys!!

And while you're about it, think of a proper name for it, don't name the damned things after bits of fruit!

Bah, humbug!!!!! ;)

Alloa Akbar
19th Oct 2011, 10:38

The demise of my blackberry (Which is for work purposes only) actually led me to engage in primitive forms of communication, long since forgotten.. Do you know I found this contraption on my desk, upon which punching in numbers led me to the remarkable and astonishing discovery that there are human inhabitants of Northhamptonshire, and by jove they still actually speak!!

It's been quite a day i tell you, whatever next perhaps I may even dispense with my cafe mocha (Grande) with cinammon syrup and have a cup of tea instead.. now THAT would be something :ok:

603DX
19th Oct 2011, 11:22
Aha! Could this be a tipping-point in the relentless march of trend following? Two moves in the right direction I sense, if you do actually ditch the pretentiously named "coffee" concoction and plump for a good old "cuppa char" instead!

Good practice for that day when the oil finally runs out, there are no more fossil fuels to squander, and everyone has to go back to bicycles and pony and traps. At least that will solve the problem of what to do about building yet another London airport. No need for it, no more air travel.

"Backwards into the Future", I say!! :)

Krystal n chips
19th Oct 2011, 16:56
Is using these things classed as an addiction yet ?.....far from being a technophobe, bit like these " 1200 channels TV to choose from...buy now..only 99.99 per month ! "...well, ok slight exageration there, but the principle is the same..how many channels can you watch during the day ?...and at once ?...so why get addicted for personal use to a phone ?

I can see the advantages in an occupational / business context, but I wonder what the breakdown of users is between those who actually really do need one and those who "simply must have one "...one's mobile suffices for texts ( minimal ) voice ( minimal / contigency ) and one does pay as you go...nobody is that important ( well some of the tsers think they are as you can't help but hear their animated personal conversations as we know ) they have to be in seemingly continous contact with the world..

hellsbrink
19th Oct 2011, 19:11
Is using these things classed as an addiction yet ?

Well, they weren't nicknamed "crackberries" for nothing.....

SpringHeeledJack
19th Oct 2011, 19:44
They do seem to be addictive. I don't have one, but in observing many users, it's amazing how they park common sense to the side and use them in many situations whereby they put other people's lives in danger and their own. On a lesser scale comes the whole social aspect and etiquette, often it seems (to me) that the need/desire to check the device is more pressing than to communicate/show respect with the person/people that they are with. One person I know of walks off if anyone does this in their company :p

I'm sure that there's only a small number of users that really must keep an eagle-eye on the screen due to some time-sensitive business etc.

SHJ

redsnail
19th Oct 2011, 19:59
At work we call them "Stressberries". :{

ShyTorque
19th Oct 2011, 20:42
Good practice for that day when the oil finally runs out, there are no more fossil fuels to squander, and everyone has to go back to bicycles and pony and traps. At least that will solve the problem of what to do about building yet another London airport. No need for it, no more air travel.

"Backwards into the Future", I say!!

Not being funny, but at the age of 72....... I'm a fair bit younger than you and I think the fossil fuels might not run out until long after I've turned into CO2... :p

As for "Crackberries"... so now we know exactly how some mobile phones get infected with E-Coli. :yuk:

:cool:

[p.s. I don't have a Blackberry as I don't get on with them].

ExSp33db1rd
19th Oct 2011, 21:08
603DX

Speaking only for myself, you understand, it's quite handy to have an inexpensive pay-as-you-go cellphone in the car when I go out. Switched off. In the glove compartment, where it stays for 99.99% of the time as a means of summoning help if the car goes phut one dark wet night far from home. I can't be alone in disliking the idea of being on the receiving end of telephone calls during my treasured "me-time",

Bah, humbug!!!!

Spot on !!

Speaking only for myself, you understand,

You are not alone, shall we start a No-Cellphone movement ? You can be Chairman !

On another thread I've already remarked that my enduring memory of my visit to the USA this year, is of 90% of all females, and about 30% of all males ( not a scientific study you understand, just my observation ) were walking around with a cellphone permanently glued to their right paw, not even carried in pockets or purses now, and usually head down with the thumb moving around like some manic St.Vitus dance as they stumbled into other passers-by, and even worse, about 6" from their plate when dining - anywhere and with anyone, totally rude.

Total idiocy, they should be an available tool when needed, not a Master to be obeyed at all times.

Years ago a mate had two telephone lines and numbers into his home, one was the number he gave to the airline when he was on standby, and the other his family telephone. He always answered the standby one of course, but if he had visitors in the house, or was in the bath, or gardening, or washing he car, he usually refrained from dashing to answer the other phone, as most do, claiming that if it was important "they'd" ring back.

Good thinking.

A A Gruntpuddock
19th Oct 2011, 21:20
I got a phone call from my supplier saying that they would upgrade my mobile for free.

Good, sez I, let us to it.

How much do you put on your phone?

20 was the calm response.

Is that per week?

About 3 months ago and I still have about 10 left.

Much spluttering at other end then was cut off without further comment.

Seems that I am at the unmentionable end of the scale!!!!

tony draper
19th Oct 2011, 21:23
I have had my present transportable telephonic unit for about five years, in that time I have made one call out on it,never sent or received one of they texty thingies nor taken a photy with it (I understand it does not have a camera inside it) and only four people walking the Earth know its number, I am determined to have as little to do with it as possibe,I didn't buy the buggah either it were a gift.
:rolleyes:

vulcanised
19th Oct 2011, 21:40
I can beat that, Mr D.

I bought my phone (with camera) used, for 15 also around 5 years ago. It stays switched off except for a few minutes every six months when I have to call my landline answering machine for a few seconds to keep the account alive.

Only one person has the number and I have yet to use it to speak to anyone. Text? Don't be silly!

tony draper
19th Oct 2011, 21:52
I have seen Nephew Draper sitting not two feet from a proper telephone connected to the exchange by good honest copper wire reach into his pocket for his mobile and make a call on that! madness I tell you, madness!
:rolleyes:

Lon More
19th Oct 2011, 22:07
http://ohiok.com/img/cowmooos/emoticons/kitty/yawn.gif Oh my; what a pity; never mind http://ohiok.com/img/cowmooos/emoticons/kitty/laugh.gif

603DX
19th Oct 2011, 22:21
Not being funny, but at the age of 72....... I'm a fair bit younger than you and I think the fossil fuels might not run out until long after I've turned into CO2... http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/tongue.gif

Yes, ShyTorque, but I wasn't suggesting it'll run out in my lifetime, or even in several human lifespans to come. But a human lifetime is, what, 70 to 80 years average, or around 100 top whack? That's a mere blink of the eye compared with the millions of years it took for natural processes to convert prehistoric forests to that oozy, smelly black stuff! Already, in the comparatively brief period in the earth's history since the internal combustion engine and industrial usage started depleting those precious deposits at an ever-accelerating pace, a significant proportion has been used up.

It makes damn-all difference whether all practicably accessible deposits are finally recovered, processed, and burnt in 100, 200, 300 years' time, that will still be a mere jot or tittle in the context of the timescale necessary for new reserves to be formed in the bowels of the earth! For all practical purposes, when it's all gone, it's all gone! That's it. Progress in developing realistic alternative power fuels is frankly pathetic, so although my comment about bikes and pony and traps was meant to be flippant, there is in reality a problem there! A problem that most probably those several generations to come will have to deal with somehow, if people are still going to want to swan off to the far corners of the globe on 747's and A380's at affordable prices. :ooh:

SMT Member
19th Oct 2011, 22:30
I haven't had anything but a mobile phone for the last 15 odd years. Come to think of it, have only gotten a land-line (which I don't use) when I started working sausage side, and only then because it came attached free of charge to a DSL and TV package.

I've gone from the first brick sized Ericsson and foldy Motorolas, through the Nokia frenzy (the 3300 injection is still the best ever), wandered the vast plains of phone offerings, trying brands you've never heard off and wished you never did, and with 3G went on the smartphuck bandwagon. Mine's a Crackberry, courtesy of the company.

Been through quite a few Cherries, and they're usually utter crap. I don't use the interweb thing, as it's notoriously slow, unreliable, probably eyewateringly expensive, and with a so screen stupidly small only an eagle would be able to use it, it's pointless anyway. It's quite convenient for basic emailling, but does of course fall on it's arse whenever there's attachments involved. The latest one I've got has a pretty neat camera, 5 megabix or thereabouts, and shoots some right good pictures - good enough for my use, which saves me packing the usual point-n-shoot Sony on the off chance I could pap Jessica Alba in the flesh. There's a chat function in the Cherry as well, but since I'm too lazy to participant in, let alone organise, a riot it's not a function I've ever used. Part from that it can do many weird and wonderful things, I'm sure. It does have the impressive sort of graphic menu, but I've never gotten around to finding any use for it all. Apart from the calculator maybe.

It should be noted I haven't had a personal phone for the last 10 odd years; there's an allowance for private calls that more than covers what little I use it privately. I'm sure it's saved me quite a penny over the years though, as our allowance is for minutes and not price. Calling the long haired sheriff in Europe from continents far, far away is eyewateringly expensive; I've seen the phone bills to prove it :E