PDA

View Full Version : Marathon runner caught bus to the finish line

Just an other number
13th Oct 2011, 09:01
From the Telegraph, required reading here, a million miles away -

Rob Sloan claimed third place in the Kielder Marathon after completing the 26.2 mile course in an impressive time of 2:51:00.

But suspicions were raised by fellow runners bemused that they had not seen Sloan pass them during Sunday’s race.

After initially denying any wrongdoing, Sloan admitted to hopping onto a bus at the 20-mile mark because he was feeling tired. He then re-emerged from a wooded area of the course and picked up the bronze medal.

Witnesses reported seeing him hide behind a tree until the first and second placed runners went past, then rejoining the race behind them.

Marathon runner caught bus to the finish line - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/8820301/Marathon-runner-caught-bus-to-the-finish-line.html)

tony draper
13th Oct 2011, 09:52
Apparently such practices were common in the early days of the Olympics,nothing so crude nowadays of course now that the pharmaceutical industry provides the lift.
:rolleyes:

Cacophonix
13th Oct 2011, 09:58
Anybody remember the story of Ms Ruiz?

Rosie Ruiz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosie_Ruiz)

This sort of thing goes on all the time (usually among the 'lesser runners') all over the world.

Caco

Edited - One man who didn't cheat, not even death...

Bill Smith: Lonely death of a modest giant of fell running - Home News, UK - The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/bill-smith-lonely-death-of-a-modest-giant-of-fell-running-2366786.html)

Worrals in the wilds
13th Oct 2011, 11:02
If you caught the buses around here you'd be lucky to finish at all, let alone third...
Likely outcomes:
1. still at the bus stop waiting in vain for a buslike vehicle, taxi or friendly truck driver,
2. Lost, with regular passengers helping the driver out using their prior route/English language knowledge,
3. Pulled over at the side of the road giving witness statements to the coppers about how the bus managed to hit a car while it was still in its driveway at the back of the house,
4. driving the bus, due to the driver quitting half way through the route, or
5. refused entry to the bus due to incorrect attire, despite the other bus goers being variously drunk, insane and wearing their undies on their heads. :}

Ancient Observer
13th Oct 2011, 11:44
I normally don't have a positive word to say about politicians - those people that lie whenever they open their mouths - but in London the bus services have improved a lot since Red Ken and Boris decided that buses are good things.
However, when the Marathon is on in London, all buses seem to disappear, so the bus wheeze would not work for the London marathon.
I wonder where the buses go to hide?

Checkboard
13th Oct 2011, 12:01
He was just too greedy, waiting for only two runners to go past! :hmm:

Had he settled for, say, sixth or seventh he might have got away with it! :ok:

He wasn't helped by the fact that the guy who REALLY came third was a police officer, and insisted on the investigation ;)

Cacophonix
13th Oct 2011, 12:07
He was just too greedy, waiting for only two runners to go past!

A good point and one that was so obvious to yachting cheat Donald Crowhurst that the stress of it drove him around the bend in the Sunday Times Golden Globe race as his chicanery meant he was likely to come higher up the order than was prudent...

Crowhurst's behavior as recorded in his logs indicates a complex and conflicted psychological state. His commitment to fabricating the trip seems incomplete and self-defeating, as he reported unrealistically fast progress that was sure to arouse suspicion. By contrast, he spent many hours meticulously constructing false log entries, often more difficult to complete than real entries, due to the celestial navigation research required.

The last several weeks of his log entries, once he was facing the real possibility of winning the prize, showed increasing irrationality. In the end, his writings during the voyage - poems, quotations, real and false log entries, and random thoughts - amounted to more than 25,000 words. The log books include an attempt to construct a philosophical reinterpretation of the human condition that would provide an escape from his impossible situation.

Donald Crowhurst - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Crowhurst)

Caco

tony draper
13th Oct 2011, 12:16
A strange cheat adopted by some marathon runners in time past was to have a pal ride a bicyle if front of them with a length of string tied to the saddle to the end of which was fastened a cork which the runner held betwixt his teeth and got a sort of tow,I suppose if some interfering official hove into view the cork could be spat out and a look of innocence adopted.
Always distrusted runners,the ability to run fast bespeaks of ancestry who needed to run away a lot.
:rolleyes:

rotornut
13th Oct 2011, 13:34
BBC News - Marathon runner hands back medal after taking shortcut (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-15277618)

MadsDad
13th Oct 2011, 18:10
Never heard of runners using that trick Mr. D. but apparently it used to be used in bike races, with the bicyclist being pulled by his teeth from a support car (CF QI on the Tour De France).

(QI did also cover some old (1900ish) tricks used on the Olympic Marathon, suck as using taxis or trams).

tony draper
13th Oct 2011, 18:14
You could be right Mr D,I seem to get all me interesting snippets from QI now,I used to read books:(

alisoncc
13th Oct 2011, 23:25
There was a time in the history of mankind when the need to run at speed was a definite advantage, especially when being chased by large carnivorous beasts, but hey this is the 21st century. Reckon anyone who chooses to participate in these strange neolithic activities should have a choice in the methodologies used to get from A to B.

Catching a bus wouldn't have been my choice. If you are going to do it, then do it with style. A jet propelled skateboard would be my choice, if one has to maintain contact with the ground.