PDA

View Full Version : Telepathy , telepathy is possible???

neurollos
13th Oct 2011, 00:16
I am medicine student , today I received email from one person that "can use telepathy".
Is it possible that telepathy works on the distance of few kilometer, correct and all the time?
I can not find any official document on any existing person today that can use telepathy
but I found Vinko Rajic and Uri Geller and they are talking that they can use telepathy.
Why they do not make research on it? Many Schizophrenic are coming with similar story.
Can it be that some Schizophrenics are just receiving from some other head?
James Randi offer 1000000$ for evidence, but Vinko and Uri can use telepathy or maybe NOT?

There is not scientific evidence for telepathy. Why this telepathy madness?
At Edinburgh University, experts conducted controlled experiments to see if telepathy is possible.
Vinko maybe can give evidence for it but why they do not make an experiment with Vinko or Uri Geller?

Why are Schneider's symptoms of the first rank for Schizophrenia exact the same as Vinko's telepathy?
Is CIA's remove viewing project just a bluff because telepath's like Vinko can never find out who actually
is sending to them , also receiver or sender can never localize each other.

I think it is in interests of science and human kind to make some really research on Vinko and Uri.
New "Mad Monk" like Grigori Rasputin can happen again, some pararanormal people are very dangerous.

Cacophonix
13th Oct 2011, 08:29
UuaJWLeSmEc

Caco

Capetonian
13th Oct 2011, 11:04
I walked into a bar with a mate and the barmaid was very well put together and had a lot on show.

Must have been telepathy because we both knew what the other was thinking.

Takan Inchovit
13th Oct 2011, 11:07
Unfortunately, my wife is telepathic. :(

Cacophonix
13th Oct 2011, 11:14
Unfortunately, my wife is telepathic.

What is that thing about women?

They will unerringly know when one is dissembling, prevaricating or just simply trying to avoid their wrath. :ok:

Caco

Storminnorm
13th Oct 2011, 11:24
I picked up the phone, intending to give my mate Mick a ring.
A voice said "Hello" before I even dialled a number.
It was Mick. That was very odd!!!

OFSO
13th Oct 2011, 11:42
Does not need discussing. Look up double-blind experiments with dogs waiting at home knowing when their masters had left work an hour's drive away. On time, delayed, didn't come, all reflected in the dog's anticipation. And if it works with dogs, why not also with those of us who's idea of joy isn't spending half an hour licking our b*lls ?

Cacophonix
13th Oct 2011, 11:48
Does not need discussing.

Hmm! We may need to deal with the evidence that dogs are able to discredit our double blind protocols or that we just don't understand dog psychology that well! Still some do see something in it... (not ball licking)! ;)

Canine Communication, III: Are Dogs Telepathic? | Psychology Today (http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/my-puppy-my-self/201008/canine-communication-iii-are-dogs-telepathic)

Caco

Mechta
13th Oct 2011, 11:57
with those of us who's idea of joy isn't spending half an hour licking our b*lls ?

Maybe if you could, it would be. ;)

neurollos
13th Oct 2011, 16:16
Video on telepathy: Evidence for Telepathy - thought transmission - YouTube

OFSO
13th Oct 2011, 17:05
If I could I would but as it is I'd need an osteopath.

Back to telepathy. I have noticed in the course of a long life and meeting many people that ideas seem to jump back and forth with some more than others. The ones that seem to pick up my thoughts are not infrequently totally unsympathetic, and people who share my views do not express the thought "that I was just thinking".

Perhaps unsurprisingly it was my mother with whom I shared this telepathy - "I was just going to say that myself !" extremely frequently, yet at the moment of her death I didn't received anything from her.

I always knew when my dear old cat, who died last year, had come back from a prowl and was sitting outside the front door waiting to come in, even when I was in my armchair in the living room. I say always and I mean always.

No proof then, just circumstantial evidence. Do I believe in telepathy myself ? If pushed I'd say it's more likely than not, and it's an "earlier ages" skill which humanity has lost with the coming of verbalisation of thoughts into words.

Solid Rust Twotter
13th Oct 2011, 18:09
I generally find an extra layer of peanut butter in the tinfoil helmet serves to keep the voices down to a thundering roar.

Cacophonix
13th Oct 2011, 18:31
I generally find an extra layer of peanut butter in the tinfoil helmet serves to keep the voices down to a thundering roar.

Conversely I find drinking that second bottle of wine tends to make them louder and sometimes incomprehensible! ;)

Caco

ENFP
13th Oct 2011, 18:33
I just knew somebody was going to post this topic!

Uri Geller was a proven fake.

The CIA remote viewing program was incredibly interesting and worthy of further reading/discussion. But i guess you all knew I was going to say that anyway :hmm:

Checkboard
13th Oct 2011, 18:42
neurollos, when you say you are "medicine student" - which internet-based degree of Homeopathy, acupuncture, aromatherapy and astrology are you studying for? :rolleyes:

Cacophonix
13th Oct 2011, 18:47
which internet-based degree of Homeopathy, acupuncture, aromatherapy and astrology are you studying for?

Sounds like Prince Charles!

Caco

hellsbrink
13th Oct 2011, 19:58

Lucky bugger, mine have stopped talking to me......

♫ I'm so ronery....... ♫

sitigeltfel
13th Oct 2011, 20:27
Why are Schneider's symptoms of the first rank for Schizophrenia exact the same as Vinko's telepathy?

I'm in two minds about that question myself.

Checkboard
13th Oct 2011, 21:34
The difference being those who dismiss telepathy as nonsense understand how TV works. :rolleyes:

11Fan
13th Oct 2011, 21:39
spending half an hour licking our b*lls ?

My buddy and I were walking up the street the other day and spotted my neighbors pooch going at em on the porch. My buddy said "I wish I could do that". I suggested "Go ahead, he looks friendly enough."

SpringHeeledJack
13th Oct 2011, 21:58
The difference being those who dismiss telepathy as nonsense understand how TV works.

Just because we might not understand how thought transmission works doesn't preclude it from being a reality :8

SHJ

Cacophonix
13th Oct 2011, 22:12
just because we might not understand how thought transmission works doesn't preclude it from being a reality

In the same way that just because we don't know how unicorns work does not preclude the possibility of their existence. However there is no evidence for either of these phenomena i.e. unicorns and thought transmission (despite what people feel or believe)!

See my dog has just growled at me without even reading this post. Just goes to show she agrees with me! ;)

Caco

tony draper
13th Oct 2011, 22:21
Didn't the Rhine (sp? Institute carry out years of research on telepathy that showed some positive statistical results? trouble is years later further analysis of the results showed them to be a load of bollix.
Telepathy is up there with UFOs and Ghosts in my book,I will believe it when I see it,hell I didn't even believe in Australia until I set foot on it.
:rolleyes:

Cacophonix
13th Oct 2011, 22:29
Mr D, I do agree that unlikely as both are, Australia is less likely than telepathy!

Caco

parabellum
13th Oct 2011, 23:32
I was expecting Solid Rust Twotter to come forth full of knowledge and with some facts on this one!!!:)

There are tribes in Africa that do use telepathy to communicate, if the programme I saw on b & w TV so many years ago is to be believed, could have been an Attenborough programme, can't remember.

Loose rivets
14th Oct 2011, 02:15
The people in my novel make routine use of 'the 5th force.' They communicate by way of it, but also control their vessels with it. All very matter-of-fact. It's when it's suddenly taken from them that they feel an indescribable emptiness - loss of a companionship they have known for their very long lives.

It's a tad like Phillip Pullman's Daemons in the last of his trilogy, when Lyra has to part with her Daemon. I really felt the magnitude of their loss.

That's what was wrong with the film, Golden Compass . . . they let on waaaaaaaay too early just what the Daemon truly was.

Oh, and I have the 5th force traveling instantly. It makes no use of matter or waves.

SpringHeeledJack
14th Oct 2011, 08:48
We have all experienced telepathy, no exceptions. With some it was a feeling, some the 'telephone thing', some the wife knowing what naughty thoughts we were manufacturing in the presence of a nice filly, but in all (and others) it was the transference of energy in thought form. As to why we cannot replicate these instances under control conditions is anyone's guess, but I'd wager that we (as a species) don't have the ability yet to consciously send and receive thought energy at will, but do have the innate hardware that allows it to happen when the conscious mind is quiet or unexpecting and the sub-conscious is in motion. Yes, I knew you would think that! :}

SHJ

SyllogismCheck
14th Oct 2011, 09:15
I'm always amazed that telepathy is dismissed as nonsense by the same people who wouldn't give television - the invisible conveyance of information, over long distances, between transmitter and receiver - a second thought.

And the brain is a damn sight more complicated that a TV setup.

Emley Moor TV transmitter - 870000 watts per broadcast channel.
The human brain - 15 to 25 watts total.

:rolleyes:

Mr Optimistic
14th Oct 2011, 09:21
I know what you mean.

tony draper
14th Oct 2011, 09:30
The telephone is infinitely more efficient.:rolleyes:

Cacophonix
14th Oct 2011, 09:41
A good synopsis of some of the "studies" done around this subject...

telepathy - The Skeptic's Dictionary - Skepdic.com (http://skepdic.com/telepath.html)

Caco

Worrals in the wilds
14th Oct 2011, 13:10
IMO a lot of the so-called sixth sense is actually an ability to read body language. Some people are intuitively good at this and can apparently read thoughts, though what they are actually reading is body language tells, sometimes subconciously. Most 'good' tarot readers, clairvoyants etc are naturally good at it.

Don't know much about telepathy although I have observed demonstrations by my wife, particularly at parties, when she seems to have read my mind re attraction to other ladies.From personal experience, it may have been the dilated pupils, drooling and sudden inability to construct whole sentences while staring at said lady that gave it away. Following it with a look of injured innocence and a 'Whhhat'? doesn't disguise any of the previous signals. Sorry about that. :};)

ENFP
14th Oct 2011, 13:41
OK, here go's. I do actually believe that some form of mind reading etc is possible, and some of you have already done it. It normally occurs when you and one other are in a state of complete content relaxation. It is likely to happen say on a Sunday morning when you and your partner are lay in bed, awake, but quiet, enjoying the lay in. Just as you are thinking, 'why don't we go to the park today', your missus will then say, 'shall we go to the park', and you say, "i was just thinking that'. The brain does indeed produce waves and experimentation has shown that those waves do travel outside the skull in certain states of relaxation and it follows they must be able to be 'absorbed' and subliminally interpreted by another, therefore you seem to automatically know what each other is thinking. This does not occur during states of high anxiety and stress or in the middle of a big bust up, it only seems to occur during that state of relaxation. If that works then i guess it could be practiced and developed. I know some of you will think I am mad :} but some of you will relate to it.

Worrals in the wilds
14th Oct 2011, 14:15
I don't disbelieve as such (after all, in the absence of better information Julius Caesar thought that thunder was produced by the thunder god, smart though he was) but I just haven't seen any evidence of it.

Do you habitually go to the park? Do you have similar park-going interests, which may be why you partnered up in the first place? If your partner suddenly said 'let's go to the circus' and you were thinking the same thing, despite neither of you previously having shown a skerrick of interest in circuses, that would be weird. The 'I was just about to ring you' thing is undoubtedly strange, but again...people tend to phone each other at regular times, even though they may not be aware of the pattern.

Ghosts on the other hand...I have seen some evidence of them. No explanation proffered but still, I do accept that there are things we don't understand yet. I just don't think that the Uri Gellers of this world have any better conception of them and all too often, they're used to sell conjuring tricks.

Harry Houdini's lifestory is well worth a read, where he continually debunked 'psychics' that preyed on war widows and vulnerable people by claiming they could commune with the dead. Houdini publicly replicated their efforts in an attempt to stop the scams, to no avail.A lot of people still get fleeced by people making these sort of claims, and that's where it stops being fun and starts being fraud.

Checkboard
14th Oct 2011, 15:26
You're amazing Worrals: walking to the shops this morning I noticed a poster for a circus, which is coming next weekend to the town, and I was just thinking "I should go to the circus" :eek:

I NEVER usually think that.

I think you have "the gift" ;)

Cacophonix
14th Oct 2011, 15:40
Worrals

Your comments about human psychology and some people's ability to read other people's "body language" or demeanor make a lot of sense.

Personality, Psychological Articles & Books of Popular Interest (http://www.kaaj.com/psych/)

However in many cases the so called telepathic subjects are simply frauds and I find the fact that humans appear to like to deceive each other far more interesting than the question of whether telepathy is "real" or not (what with the pseudoscience, wishful thinking and all the other downright silliness that goes with that question out there).

In many cases it is not just the "science" that is pathological but the human researchers and subjects themselves.

telepathy - The Skeptic's Dictionary - Skepdic.com (http://skepdic.com/telepath.html)

It took some time to sink in but eventually the experimenters realized that for some reason human beings like to deceive each other. They use all kinds of non-verbal signals to communicate, which can give the appearance of psychic transmission of information. They use glances (up, down, right, left for the four suits of a deck of cards, for example), coughs, sighs, yawns, and noises with their shoes. Other cheaters use Morse code with coins and various other tricks known to conjurers. Sometimes gestures to various parts of the body have a prearranged meaning.

Caco

OFSO
14th Oct 2011, 16:07
The telephone is infinitely more efficient

Blackberry ?

I rest my case.

Cacophonix
14th Oct 2011, 16:12
Blackberry ?

I feel that there is a marketing (or a slogan) possibility here...

"Blackberry, the device that makes telepathy fun..."

Caco

ChristiaanJ
14th Oct 2011, 16:23
I do actually believe that some form of mind reading etc is possible, and some of you have already done it. It normally occurs when you and one other are in a state of complete content relaxation.Same here. Most of the 'occurrences' were sufficiently improbable, that I tended (and tend) to dismiss the simple explanation of coincidence.
And indeed it needs a certain state of 'relaxation' or 'receptiveness' or whatever, that I could usually recognise retrospectively, but not create myself, or reproduce.

I know some of you will think I am mad :} but some of you will relate to it.I think you're no madder than anybody else posting here on JB. And no, I have no explanation whatsoever for it.

CJ

ChristiaanJ
14th Oct 2011, 16:33
Just in from t'pub and so at my brightest and most creative.
Hey, did you know that this day (14th October) in 1947, U.S. Air Force Captain Chuck Yeager became the first person to fly faster than the speed of sound.Nope....
George Wells did it about a fortnight earlier, in an XF-86.
But after all the money spent on the Bell X-1, they needed some justification for it..... so they claimed the 'first'.
All Yeager can claim is the first supersonic flight in level flight (Wells did it in a dive).

CJ

PS I know it's off-topic, but after all this IS an aviation forum....

Cacophonix
14th Oct 2011, 16:35
I think you're no madder than anybody else posting here on JB. And no, I have no explanation whatsoever for it.

For the fact that a high proportion of the general population or PPRune posters who post on JB are mad (or should we say eccentric?) or the fact that there is no explanation for telepathy? ;)

For my part I suspect there needn't be an explanation for telepathy because it doesn't exist but then again I enjoy posting on JB so my opinion is, ipso facto, suspect! :ok:

Caco

Checkboard
14th Oct 2011, 16:41
North American Chief Test Pilot George Welch in an XP-86 Sabre ;)

George Welch (pilot) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Welch_%28pilot%29#Mach_1_claim)

Robert Kempel, author of The Race For Mach 1 contradicts the claim, contending it was impossible for Welch's aircraft to break the sound barrier with an underpowered engine. Bob Hoover, chase pilot for Welch and Yeager, has also gone on record to debunk the Welch story.

Mike X
14th Oct 2011, 16:45
Anyone believe in Pranic healing ?

Why are we all so stuck in the physical realm ?

ChristiaanJ
14th Oct 2011, 16:47
Caco,

I was referring to telepathy.
Relax, mate and even you may experience it.

As to us eccentrics on JB, I propose an unofficial slogan for JB:
"Eccentrics of the world, unite ! And meet us on JB !"

CJ

Cacophonix
14th Oct 2011, 16:48
Don't Pranic Mr Mainwaring, don't Pranic!

Sorry MikeX... ;)

Caco

Mike X
14th Oct 2011, 16:58
I'm a patient person.

I, humbly, await a response. Take your time to giggle.

Ons moes tot die eindronde gekom het.

Cacophonix
14th Oct 2011, 17:03
MikeX

Ek dank u vir u geduld! :ok:

Caco

Mike X
14th Oct 2011, 17:07
Dis 'n plesier. Die geduld is gratis. :ok:

Mr Optimistic
14th Oct 2011, 17:37
get a room

Mike X
14th Oct 2011, 17:43
get a room

How about answering my question ?

Lief vir jou !

ChristiaanJ
14th Oct 2011, 17:44
North American Chief Test Pilot George Welch in an XP-86 Sabre ;)Sorry CB, I didn't check Wiki before posting.

As to the remark about the 'underpowered engine', I expect the author forgot to account for the weight of the aircraft in a dive.

Anyway, thanks.... looks as if there's some more googling in prospect..... haven't got the book.

CJ

Cacophonix
14th Oct 2011, 17:55
Didn't Roland Beaumont dive an XP-86 successfully exceeding Mach 1?

I suppose telepathy has some relevance to supersonic flight in the sense that if air was telepathic it could, as it was compressed by an object flying at or close to the speed of sound, telepathically let the air ahead know to move out of the way thus obviating all the "sound barrier" clap trap making for far more efficient and quieter flight!

Caco

Mr Optimistic
14th Oct 2011, 17:56
was ist pranic healing ?

Mike X
14th Oct 2011, 17:59
was ist pranic healing ?

A form of healing based on transfer of energy (and much more).

You don't have giggle?

Mr Optimistic
14th Oct 2011, 18:11
de wyne ist rede

ChristiaanJ
14th Oct 2011, 18:32
Mike X,

I suppose this "Pranic healing" is much in the same category as the "laying on of hands", etc. ?

I would be the first to cry "humbug", were it not that it cured me - while a total 'unbeliever' - of asthma.
I can bore you all with the complete story, if anybody is interested.

There is a world "on the edge".... telepathy, ghosts, healing, etc.
I can't help asking the question: how much of that IS real, and has then given 'power' to priests, charlatans, etc. ?

I would suggest you read "The Ghost of Flight 401". And think about it, and give your opinion.
(And yes, I know the title is wrong, there were two ghosts.)

CJ

SpringHeeledJack
14th Oct 2011, 19:08
Hamlet:
Swear by my sword
Never to speak of this that you have heard.

Ghost:
[Beneath] Swear by his sword.

Hamlet:
Well said, old mole, canst work i' th' earth so fast?
A worthy pioner! Once more remove, good friends.

Horatio:
O day and night, but this is wondrous strange!

Hamlet:
And therefore as a stranger give it welcome.
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Hamlet Act 1, scene 5, 159–167

Or simply put we don't see everything that's there :suspect:

SHJ

Mike X
14th Oct 2011, 19:16
I suppose this "Pranic healing" is much in the same category as the "laying on of hands", etc. ?

I would be the first to cry "humbug", were it not that it cured me - while a total 'unbeliever' - of asthma.
I can bore you all with the complete story, if anybody is interested.

There is a world "on the edge".... telepathy, ghosts, healing, etc.
I can't help asking the question: how much of that IS real, and has then given 'power' to priests, charlatans, etc. ?

I would suggest you read "The Ghost of Flight 401". And think about it, and give your opinion.
(And yes, I know the title is wrong, there were two ghosts.)

CJ

Oui, mais, there is no physical contact. Simply put, 'dirty' (clogged) chakras are cleaned and new energy is allowed in.

Really, giggle is your best friend. For many years, it is being used in conjunction with mainstream medicine in the USA.

I have done three courses, including the psychological one. As above, so below...

I realise I've lost a few points amongst the realists. :ok:

Cacophonix
14th Oct 2011, 19:38
Chakras! Aagh! :)

Caco

Mr Optimistic
14th Oct 2011, 20:52
please tell me there is no exchange of bodily fluids as they are in short supply

ChristiaanJ
14th Oct 2011, 21:15
Oui, mais, there is no physical contact.There wasn't in "my" case either - I just used the "laying on of hands" as a generic term.
Simply put, 'dirty' (clogged) chakras are cleaned and new energy is allowed in.Unfortunately, in this domain, terminology is being borrowed from physics, so there's endless talk of 'energy' and 'waves' and even 'magnetism', endlessly confusing the issue...
I realise I've lost a few points amongst the realists. :ok:Not with me, but then maybe I'm not fully 100% a "realist" in the minimalist sense.

OK, I'll stick my neck out.
Physics do not fully describe reality. Or, more precisely, our present knowledge and description of the world is still a long way away from reality, in the full sense of the word.

CJ

Cacophonix
14th Oct 2011, 21:32
Physics do not fully describe reality. Or, more precisely, our present knowledge and description of the world is still a long way away from reality, in the full sense of the word.

True but, as you well know, physics doesn't pretend to have all the truth... unlike some of those Chakra laden gurus! ;)

Sides, if we knew everything, how boring life would be!

In truth, this whole telepathy lark reminds of that old gag in one of those Carry On films, you know, the one about Julius Caesar "Carry On Up the Tiber" or whatever...

"Telepathy, telepathy, they've all got it in telepathy"...

Caco

Checkboard
14th Oct 2011, 21:36
As to the remark about the 'underpowered engine', I expect the author forgot to account for the weight of the aircraft in a dive.

Nope - transonic drag is so high, that even in a dive, at full power, that engine doesn't provide enough thrust to exceed mach one.

(same wiki source)
The highest Mach number reached by Welch in 1947, as indicated by official flight test records, was about 0.93, in a maximum power dive from 45,114 ft (13,751 m) with the engine at 100.8-percent Military RPM (i.e. maximum power). North American conducted this test, their “High Mach Number Investigation”, on November 13. The USAF verified all North American results and this test Mach number in their own Phase II tests conducted in December 1947.

I have done three courses, including the psychological one. As above, so below...

I realise I've lost a few points amongst the realists. :ok:
Indeed - but only because you PAID for a course, when all you had to do was tell your OWN lies to your next "patient". :hmm:

Cacophonix
14th Oct 2011, 21:40
Checkboard

Are we then to mark old Roly Beaumont down as non Machster then?

Just asking...

Caco

Checkboard
14th Oct 2011, 21:45
I don't know - the aircraft WAS transonic, once the bigger engine was fitted, apparently ...

Pinky the pilot
15th Oct 2011, 03:32
Cacophonix; According to an old paperback copy of 'Against the Sun' by (I think) Edward Lanchberry which was a biography of Roland Beaumont, Rolly did not exceed Mach 1 in the XP86.

Getting back to the thread subject; I think SpringHeeledJack summed it up fairly well.

Or simply put we don't see everything that's there

Effluent Man
15th Oct 2011, 11:13
Although I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand there have been quite comprehensive experiments in telepathy without any proof.

The classic one was with cards with different symbols on them.Nobody was able to achieve results outside the statistical norm.

G-CPTN
15th Oct 2011, 11:44
So, is Statistical Norm telepathic?

I think we should be told.

Worrals in the wilds
15th Oct 2011, 11:51
A form of healing based on transfer of energy (and much more).Jeez, you don't plug people in to live power do you? :eek: The bikies have been doing that here for years, it's a very effective method of healing people of terrible afflictions like talking to the coppers, giving witness statements, remembering the faces of the guys who came around to their house with baseball bats etc. etc. :}

Seriously if it works for you then fine. A very well educated and sane friend is big on the whole Reiki thing. Personally I think it's a bit suss, but she loves it and is certainly far more happy and balanced since she got into it.

If it doesn't hurt anyone, doesn't turn into major fraud and makes people feel better (even if it's more of a placebo effect than Mysterious Healing Powers) then I don't have a problem with what people believe. People used to think physiotherapists were quacks and some still are, but in my experience, many of them are awesome :ok:.

JWP1938
15th Oct 2011, 11:56
Very difficult to prove CONCLUSIVELY anything in this field. When I was 18 years old (73 now) a friend and I were always trying the latest experiments. This one (trying to remember now) was with 20 or 24 playing cards and the idea was to shuffle them well and then turn them over one by one and predict the card to be turned over. (There are other variations of this I know). On one occasion out of about 20 that day I predicted correctly EVERY one of the 20 or 24 cards. Apparently 25% is normal, one more card than that is unusual and so on until 3 or 4 more is just about impossible. (Can't remember the exact statistics). However, statistics on coincidences also say that my result is possible (maybe only once in every million years) so maybe mine was that once in a million years time. I never, ever managed to repeat the feat so have just put it down to that coincidence probability.

sitigeltfel
15th Oct 2011, 12:14
The classic one was with cards with different symbols on them. Nobody was able to achieve results outside the statistical norm.

Well, these guys gave it a try!

Ocean's Eleven-style con at French Riviera casinos - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/8824914/Oceans-Eleven-style-con-at-French-Riviera-casinos.html)

Worrals in the wilds
15th Oct 2011, 12:46
Nice scam, though of course having an insider always helps. Looks like their only mistake was to win too often. If they'd shown up once a month and won a tidy sum they'd probably still be in the game. Presumably the Casino was well aware of the statistical norms and got suspicious when specific people repeatedly did better.

It's a bit like a local team who netted a million in parking meter break ins. Council admitted that if the gang had kept it to a reasonable sum, they probably wouldn't have uncovered it.
Brisbane parking meter theft | University student pleads guilty to parking meter theft (http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/11m-parking-meter-swindle-uq-student-pleads-guilty-20090914-fn1u.html)

Greed, the uncoverer of many evils...nothing to do with telepathy of course, unless being able to read the mind of a petty crim counts. The aforseaid minds are generally written with dollar/pound/euro symbols in large print and lots of pictures of Bentley cars, cocaine, cognac etc...:\

corsair
15th Oct 2011, 12:54
I knew this would happen,(not telepathy though) a typical Jetblast thread drifting off into an argument about aircraft. Of all things!

As for telepathy, well like many others I've experienced the dog thing. A Flying Instructors dog, who knew exactly which aircraft he was in despite the dog's inability to see which one he boarded. If the dog could observe him boarding Cessna you could argue he would be able to tell from subtle cues in sound or whatever. Same with the family's dog who always knew when my Mother was returning and leapt off the sofa. As she got older the sense departed her and she nearly killed herself leaping off the couch when my Mother opened the front door. Later she may or may not have detected my Mother but had obviously reached a point where she didn't care and simply lay there wagging her tail.

I've pretty much left behind all the nonsense many people cling onto. Life after death, the spirit world, psychic prediction, UFOs, aliens, practical space travel.

But I'm willing to believe we haven't yet fully understood the human mind. There is a sixth sense maybe seven or eight. We are all able to pick up cues sub consciously. Recently I had to land hurriedly after an engine problem. Something felt wrong from the moment I took off and it soon became obvious. So a quick landing was made with minimal drama. Thinking about it later. The whole of the previous day's flying I was checking out suitable emergency landing fields and reviewing emergency procedures. So was I psychic or was it coincidence? My suggestion is that the ailing engine sounded or felt different which I only detected on a subconscious level. Arguably a coincidence but who knows.

Whatever extra senses we have, they're quite subtle and useful as evidenced above. But while they're a mystery right now. They are quite natural.

arcniz
15th Oct 2011, 13:14
Following only "If I shag her, then she'll like me...." the greatest conceit in the entire history of humans -- and possibly also of the numerous and varied precedent clambering, scrambling, crawling, swimming, flagellating things that eventually and accidentally became human -- is the thought that belief and cause are related in a bi-directional manner.

What people know, is that many sorts of causes can result in observable effects and thereby cause can inspire belief regarding the predictable efficacy of the cause in propitiating a correlated result. It follows, by definition, that all beliefs - at the level of factual circumstance - are the distillation of causative effects that people have observed or have been instructed about or have imagined to be valid in extrapolation of causes known to have effect.

The inference - nearly always wrong -- unless proven by observation and testing of facts -- is the totally barmy obverse premise that beliefs must lead to causes that have real or magical powers of transformation.

corsair
15th Oct 2011, 14:07
Much of our civilisation is based on shared beliefs. Often fallacious beliefs. Witness religion. So it's human nature. Collective self deception is what allows civilisations and empires to flourish. So it's no surprise that it can go too far.

But one of the problems is that which we do not understand looks like magic until its explained and even then it continues to look like magic sometimes. The reality is that just because we cannot now explain or even repeat it reliably doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

But it won't be researched seriously because of it's status as something spiritual or magical and because it will be difficult to prove anyway. Same goes for most of the psychic ideas out there. Most of which are fantasy to be fair.

What helps maintain these beliefs are legions of movies and books which depict many of these ideas as real, often in a most plausible style.

We humans are great story tellers.

Mike X
15th Oct 2011, 18:22
Indeed - but only because you PAID for a course, when all you had to do was tell your OWN lies to your next "patient".

A very erudite response. And apparently you can cook.

Worrals - Read-up before spouting forth trash.

Cacophonix
15th Oct 2011, 18:29
MikeX

Didn't Checkboard say that?

Caco

Mike X
15th Oct 2011, 18:33
Caco

I believe your spleen may be in need of attention.

Cacophonix
15th Oct 2011, 18:36
MikeX

I am not splenetic (he spluttered)!

Caco

This Pranic stuff doesn't seem to do much for the sense of karma!

Mike X
15th Oct 2011, 18:40
Caco

I'll check you out, anyway.

One never knows which Chakra is out of shape... :O

Cacophonix
15th Oct 2011, 18:43
One never knows which Chakra is out of shape...

You leave my Chakras out of this fellah! :p

Caco

Mike X
15th Oct 2011, 18:46
The good old "Chakra Shy" !

Pills it is for you, then.

And no more Castles...:p

Mr Optimistic
15th Oct 2011, 21:47
We humans are great story tellers.

We have to be in order to believe our own self deceptions. Everything we are given we are given with the knowledge that it will one day be lost (life, youth, good looks.....), it's a cosmic joke which we defend ourselves against by displacement and denial. No need to pay good cash, it's a gift we all share.

corsair
15th Oct 2011, 22:30
Indeed Mr Optimistic. I do wish that more people would realise that.

Solid Rust Twotter
15th Oct 2011, 22:44
And no more Castles...

Now that's the healthiest advice you could give him. Why would you want to put something in your mouth that gives you a permanent orange afro and makes you glow in the dark? (Apart from being utterly vile.):yuk:

Mike X
15th Oct 2011, 22:59
All the way SRT. :yuk:

However, nobody has addressed my question re: transfer of energy.

Guess that's a tough one for all them rooted in 3D. :p