PDA

View Full Version : Dumb or what: family gets lost in corn maze

rotornut
12th Oct 2011, 22:19
Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2011/10/12/mxp-corn-maze-911.hln)

tony draper
12th Oct 2011, 23:17
Can't find anything about no cornfield Mr R.:uhoh:

pigboat
12th Oct 2011, 23:52
Works ok here Tony. There's a 30-sec ad for some kind of crap at the start of the vid.

Slasher
13th Oct 2011, 01:12
I certainly wouldn't mind getting lost in a corn
maze with that cornfield chick newsreader! :E

er340790
13th Oct 2011, 01:16
Don't laugh - it is a lot easier than you might think.

Last week I went to check out a 160-acre bush lot that was for sale. Walked about 200m in to an old homestead, continued another 200m then turned left along a muddy creek for about 400m.

Logically (and I'm a volunteer S&R navigator!!!) another left turn and 400m would take me back to the road 400m from where I started, rather than walking back up the creek. Silly choice, especially as my son had 'borrowed' my GPS from the car earlier that day.

Once in the thick bush you lose sight of all references like the sun and mountains etc. And once you are in thick bush it ALL looks the same. It was about this time I was starting to regret leaving my jacket and bear-spray in the truck too. The surrounding land is Crown Land for hundreds of miles. :eek:

The key thing is to stay calm and do not charge blindly in any direction. That said, when the extra 5 minutes I gave myself were up, I was starting to get a real bad feeling. Fortunately another 5 mins and suddenly I was back on the road. Relieved to put it mildly. :O :O :O

Like I said, it can happen all too easily.

sitigeltfel
13th Oct 2011, 06:45
How to get out of a maze.

Put a hand against the side and start walking. Keep the same hand on the same side at every turn and you will eventually reach the exit.

Bushfiva
13th Oct 2011, 07:39
Only for a simply-connected maze.

Rollingthunder
13th Oct 2011, 07:45
Pick a direction - any direction.

Walk - stomp.

gileraguy
13th Oct 2011, 10:18
Got lost once in Bunyip National Park.

Overcast day, proper lost...

No smokes, but a lighter in me pocket. In the last resort I could always have started a fire!

I followed the terrain down and got out of the park on the other side to where I arrived.
As I stopped to buy some smokes I got pinched by the local plod for riding recreational reg on a thoroughfare. (was on a CRF250X)

Got back, found the group and later appealed the fine and got off (due to the cost of S&R on account of I was lost! it was a good letter to get out of the fine...)

not a good feeling, especially 'cause I'd left me smokes behind!

RedhillPhil
13th Oct 2011, 10:37
Lost in a corn maze? Pah! Just walk through the stuff.

1DC
13th Oct 2011, 10:55
Did the same thing myself in Oz. We came to a cross roads and the sign post said turn right, me being in smart ass mode decided that straight on would be quicker. After the road took us into a national forest i started to think i should be careful so started memorising turns etc. I knew that eventually we would see someone because of all the picnic areas, i then thought it could be days before someone wanted a picnic.We then came to the top of a hill and as far as the eye could see in all directions was trees, to be expected in a forest i suppose. Mrs 1DC then decided it was advice time,not what to do but what i should have done, it never helps. I had forgotten all the facts i had memorised by then. Suddenly without warning we came across a narrow tarmac road and followed it, eventually getting back to the main road. I turned right and after about an hour or more came back to where i started from. I did a 180 and continued on my way. Pure luck that we found our way out and me with a ticket in navigation!!!

Checkboard
13th Oct 2011, 12:05
BBC News - Six ways to never get lost in a city again (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15125287)

I particularly like their idea of noting the flow of the clouds to maintain orientation :ok:

Lon More
13th Oct 2011, 13:47
was the family's name Fukkawi?

TWT
13th Oct 2011, 13:59
I got lost in the Northern Territory,Oz.Left the campsite and started wandering along the bank of the river.This then branched out into ever narrower rivulets.I decided I wanted to go back but had no idea which direction.I saw a path and,figuring it would lead to a road or dwelling,followed that.The path came to an abrupt halt just before wall to wall 10 foot high grass and,right at the end was the skull of a water buffalo.Not looking good.I had thought of starting a fire to attract attention but discounted that as I would most likely be burned alive and I had no wish to kill any flora or fauna.Just stopped for 5 minutes and then remembered I had seen some footprints in the sandy soil (not mine).I just followed them and they went straight back to the campsite.I was lucky.I can easily sympathise with people that get lost when going for what they thought was a short stroll in the wilderness,

Cacophonix
13th Oct 2011, 17:43
Oz seems to have more than its fair share of lost in the Outback stories.. (I guess there is a lot of that out there)...

Where is Ray Mears when you need him...?

Caco

Fascinating insights...

0CT0470DVKE

Turbine D
13th Oct 2011, 18:13
Slightly off the "Lost in the corn maze", but dumb and dumber!

Miss American Pagent 2011 question: "Should math be taught in school?"

Watch:

Miss USA 2011

TD

Cacophonix
13th Oct 2011, 18:18
Tell me that thing about math(s) was a piss take please! :eek:

Caco

tony draper
13th Oct 2011, 18:49
Someone posted this a few days ago elsewhere and I asked exactly the same question Mr C,apparently the original question was 'Should evolution be taught in schools' and it has been overdubbed with various substitutes,how true this is I do not know,even so they are a bunch complete feckwits whatever the question.
:rolleyes:

Checkboard
13th Oct 2011, 19:00
Yes - it's a piss take, based on an actual video on "should evolution be taught in school" (where almost every contestant said "of course").

The joke, of course, being that the question shouldn't even be asked.

Tankertrashnav
13th Oct 2011, 19:24
As an aside, an American scientist on BBC Radio 4's 'Material World' today was talking about the way the universe was formed, and at one point he said "... the way we evolved 5 million years ago (I'm allowed to say that because we're not in the United States)..."

It got a laugh on the programme, but the sad fact is I got the impression he wasn't entirely joking!

con-pilot
13th Oct 2011, 19:31
It got a laugh on the programme, but the sad fact is I got the impression he wasn't entirely joking!

If he wasn't joking, he had some kind of political agenda.

In spite of what many here want to believe, creationism or whatever it is called today, is not taught in public schools in the US, let alone in a single publicly funded university except perhaps in a theology class, if they even have any.

The constitution of the United States guarantees Freedom of Religion.

Today is is more like Freedom from Religion.

You can take that anyway you want to.

Checkboard
13th Oct 2011, 19:39
Ah - but could you be elected President in the USA if you announced you were an atheist?

Cacophonix
13th Oct 2011, 19:41
Today is is more like Freedom from Religion.

You can take that anyway you want to.

Religion and rationality can be good bed fellows I suppose but I would prefer rationality in place of religion any day!

Oops we are onto religion. What next politics, sex? :p

Caco

Tankertrashnav
13th Oct 2011, 19:44
Good to know Con - and in the interests of fairness I have to admit that there is a worrying rise in creationism here. Of course in this country we still teach religion in schools, and we have many so-called "faith" schools, some of which are allowed to teach creationism or whatever you care to call it. I'm surprised that the Harry Potter phenomenon hasnt led to a call for wizardry to be an option in schools :(

Ah - but could you be elected President in the USA if you announced you were an atheist?

Or a Mormon? ;)

Cacophonix
13th Oct 2011, 19:53
Or a Mormon?

Were there any Catholic presidents prior to Kennedy?

(You got to love JB. From a corn maze to this!) ;)

Caco

tony draper
13th Oct 2011, 20:11
Well your not allowed to be king of England if you are a Catholic,or if you are called John, both with very good reason.
The worst King we ever had was called John and the worst Queen we ever had was a Catholic,we got long memories here.:E

con-pilot
13th Oct 2011, 20:14

Probably not. But then again Reagan was not what one could call over religious, or even religious at all. He had/has the worse church attendance record of any US President.

But the religious right loved him.