PDA

View Full Version : Forego that predeparture drink on Ryanair

Self Loathing Freight
12th Oct 2011, 21:29
Ryanair CEO's latest plan: replace toilets with seats Overhead Bin - Ryanair CEO's latest plan: replace toilets with seats (http://overheadbin.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/10/12/8288725-ryanair-ceos-latest-plan-replace-toilets-with-seats)

Tankertrashnav
12th Oct 2011, 21:42
Won't bother Gerard Depardieu then.

Ozzy
12th Oct 2011, 21:48
Ha ha, he gets more PR than the bearded one!

Ozzy

G-CPTN
12th Oct 2011, 21:51
Sounds like a smart move - provided he doesn't remove all toilets - after all what percentage of the time during a flight are toilets being used?

He could always sell those bags (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2046619/Dutch-railways-replace-board-toilets-PLASTIC-BAGS--theyre-used-emergencies.html?ito=feeds-newsxml) that the Dutch (?) Railways are considering . . .

riverrock83
12th Oct 2011, 22:21
Does a flight become unserviceable when the single toilet stops working?
Is there not a danger that more flights will be cancelled? I'm guessing not... people will just have to hold it in...
Is a passenger about to wet themselves a "medical emergency"?
It will also be more difficult for the crew to sell lottery tickets to the punters when they are all queued up the aisle.
Mind you -added bonus of quicker turnarounds as less cleaning to do!
Just wait until someone hogs it for a flight with an attack of "the runs". I can see Micky adding a count down timer, after which the door magically opens unless you put more money in the slot...

Ozzy
12th Oct 2011, 22:38
In the US queueing at the loo on a flight can get you terminated or at least arrested...

Ozzy

A A Gruntpuddock
12th Oct 2011, 23:03
I'm sure I read that the Germans experimented with water injection to improve power outputs during WWII - perhaps this is just a practical application of that research?

All you have to do is place your feet on the sides of the aisle and don't step in the collection channel running down the centre.

N707ZS
12th Oct 2011, 23:06
Will this mod affect re-sale value of the aircraft? or will there be a hangar full of Ryanair toilets waiting to be re-fitted.

G-CPTN
12th Oct 2011, 23:07
I'm surprised that water-injection isn't more used today (if, indeed, it is used).

Water injection (engines) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_injection_%28engines%29)

Water Injection - A technical description (http://www.rallycars.com/Cars/WaterInjection.html)

racedo
12th Oct 2011, 23:49
Make a statement and come back to it once a year and media lap it up:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

er340790
13th Oct 2011, 01:28
A lot of the regional turboprops in use up here have no toilets... the 21-seater Metroliner in particular.

There is invariably some obese lady who loads up on donuts and a bucket of coffee just before departure.

The normal procedure is to divert for pax who cannot hold it in. I'm not sure if the rear baggage compartment can be accessed from the cabin for times when there really is no alternative landing place.

Captain Dart
13th Oct 2011, 02:42
This guy's tactics of making regular outrageous statements to get free publicity are getting rather 'tired'. Hasn't this been 'done'?

sitigeltfel
13th Oct 2011, 06:38
Yes Captain, the press once again caught Hook, Line and Sinker. :rolleyes:

Rather be Gardening
13th Oct 2011, 07:19
I wonder at what stage the publicity is actually counterproductive though - ie, those with a 'limited bladder capacity' who might decide to fly instead with an airline which does at least provide basic amenities. Never mind if this latest stunt is not put into practice, the damage will have been done in the minds of those concerned.

I've certainly decided that I'd pay more to get to my destination in relative comfort rather than ever fly with Cryinair.

visibility3miles
13th Oct 2011, 07:26
Forget the publicity angle for a moment.

Didn't Lucky Lindy and others of his era fly with something like a funnel and a tube that led outside the plane?

Skip pressurizing the plane, and it should be easy peesy.

Reduces weight too. Bonus!

sitigeltfel
13th Oct 2011, 09:04
The airline’s chief executive, Michael O’Leary, told The Independent “It would fundamentally lower air fares by about five per cent for all passengers” – cutting £2 from a typical £40 ticket. Really? I bet the fares would stay the same, giving him a bonus. Altruism isn't in his dictionary.

Storminnorm
13th Oct 2011, 09:56
The "Wet seat" problem was easily overcome by placing the
seat cushion, (Wet), in a duty-free bag and fitting a clean, dry,
seat cover. Problem solved.

One could say "Easy Peasy"!!! :ok:

radeng
13th Oct 2011, 10:24
Which reinforces my determination not to use Ryanair. A friend says he'd rather walk than use them...

corsair
13th Oct 2011, 11:01
I fail to see why he needs more seats when as often as not several are unoccupied on many if not most flights. It would only come into play on perpetually full routes. There's also an issue on longer routes likes those to the Canaries where I've seen all three in use and with queues.

He's ball hopping as they say around here.

kms901
13th Oct 2011, 11:03
Not gonna happen- isn't the aircraft certified for a maximum number of passengers? How much will it cost to rip out the toilets and fit seats ? Are there mounts for the seats back there? Are you so far back that the fuselage is starting to taper and you won't get 6 seats ? And the loss of revenue because nobody buys drinks/food on the flight ?

Capetonian
13th Oct 2011, 11:06
MoL is razor smart but sooner or later he's going to get too smart and shoot himself in the foot. Maybe he's done it!

The SSK
13th Oct 2011, 11:10
*sigh*
O’Leary knows perfectly well that B737-800s cannot be ‘re-certified’ for more than 189 seats, that would involve redesigning the aircraft with additional exits.

So whether it’s installing ‘standing seats’ or fitting regular seats in place of the loos, it isn’t going to happen. But MOL isn’t one to let reality get in the way of a good story.

Capetonian: his storyline is consistent and relentless – ‘We will consider anything if it will help to lower costs and fares’, that mantra serves equally well for viable proposals and off-the-wall ideas.