PDA

View Full Version : Not just GT, JH Strikes again!

600ft-lb
12th Oct 2011, 16:45
Revealed: Qantas pilots on high flying wages (http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/qantas-pilots-on-high-flying-wages/story-e6frfq80-1226165387483)
PILOTS mounting a campaign justifying strike action amid revelations some are being paid more than $500,000 a year. Qantas pilots on high flying wages | News.com.au (http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/qantas-pilots-on-high-flying-wages/story-e6frfq80-1226165387483)

By Joe Hildebrand
The Daily Telegraph (http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/)
October 13, 2011 12:00AM

Carefully co-ordinated for a 12am release. How strange.

I like this bit the most

Leaked figures reveal even a second officer on an A330 gets almost $150,000 on average and starts on more than $110,000 following an average 17 per cent pay increase in the past year.
The highest paid captain of an A380 gets $536,000 - an increase of more than $40,000 on last year - and the average A380 captain's wage is $415,000.

So they were leaked. To the Daily Telegraph.

Just like the 6 month old 'death' threats (no death threat in reality) was leaked to the Daily Telegraph.

:Dbravo Qantas...

DirectAnywhere
12th Oct 2011, 18:10
Right, that's it. I'm sick of this ****. Mainline F/O gross about 170 last year. Ben Sandilands PM me if you like.

AIPA - you can have a copy of my group certificate for 10/11. Let's start getting some real numbers out there.

While the CEO pleads for restraint his stooges are leaking what are blatant lies to the media.

AIPA - we have been creamed in the media in the last week. Time to pick up the game.

P.S. Who's the highest paid 380 captain as quoted. The fleet manager? FFS....

manfred
12th Oct 2011, 18:48
Those wages are nothin compared to these

Laundry staff can earn more than $420k a year on offshore projects | Herald Sun (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/national/laundry-staff-can-earn-more-than-420k-a-year-on-offshore-construction-projects/story-e6frf7l6-1226027779689)

ON AN OIL RIG

Barge welder

$498,287*

Tradespeople

$449,985*

Cook

$445,884*

Laundry hand

$423,651*

*Annual wage for four weeks on, two weeks off in 2010

halas
12th Oct 2011, 19:53
But manfred, you are forgetting how much respect, prestige and glamor is associated with being a pilot compared to a rig-pig :hmm:

halas

Syd eng
12th Oct 2011, 20:22
Right, that's it. I'm sick of this ****. Mainline F/O gross about 170 last year. Ben Sandilands PM me if you like.

AIPA - you can have a copy of my group certificate for 10/11. Let's start getting some real numbers out there.

While the CEO pleads for restraint his stooges are leaking what are blatant lies to the media.

AIPA - we have been creamed in the media in the last week. Time to pick up the game.

We as LAME's were only thinking of sending payslips and group certificates to the media at work yesterday. Wonder how they would argue back at that.

mmciau
12th Oct 2011, 20:47
They probably wouldn't publish them! They'd be against the push to damn the airline unions.

Mike

ad-astra
12th Oct 2011, 20:53
I would be very cautious of confirming salaries and jumping into the gutter arguing the relativity of salaries with the Press/CEO/QF/Public.

The press can be a very fickle bed partner.

The headline will read "Qantas pilots earning 3x,4x,5x,6x...10x the average minimum salary"

No justification that you could provide will be included in the article.

The travelling public will on the most part agree that they want professional pilots up the front and will pay for it.

The tabloid reading public will on the most part agree that pilots are not worth the multiple average minimum salary and will be aghast at the excesses.

That I am afraid is human nature.

Having seen firsthand the nature of the animal in '89 I would caution the use of the press to present the facts fairly.

Keg
12th Oct 2011, 21:20
I agree. No one aboard the QF32 last year or the QF30 the year before would have been thinking that the people doing the driving were overpaid. This is just drivel- in the public domain, sure, but drivel none the less.

It's important to stay on message. This is NOT about pay. When we start arguing about whether their figures on pay are correct then we make it about pay and we lose clear air for the Qantas flight, Qantas pilot clauses.

NewPiper
12th Oct 2011, 21:42
Unions and their leaders are definitely losing the plot and becoming hysterical when you read comments like this from the AIPA president:

"It takes decades of training and experience to become an A380 Captain, which is more than I can say about what's required to become a CEO," he said.

It shows contempt and dis-respect for the position of CEO and adds weight to the well known industry idea that Qantas Pilots think they are GOD!

Well Emirates doesn't think Qantas pilots are GOD given they have rejected some Qantas Pilots recently.

NP.

regitaekilthgiwt
12th Oct 2011, 21:51
I am certain Qantas is seriously considering suspending all LH ops immediately to stop the bleeding

I am certain that if you seriously believe this then you sir are an idiot.

Capt Kremin
12th Oct 2011, 22:16
Don't make this into a pay dispute. It isn't. As difficult as it is to listen to the lies, you cannot win with the Murdoch press in this regard.

They are in the pocket of Qantas and nothing will change that. Don't even try.

YPJT
12th Oct 2011, 22:24
As suggested by Checkboard on the GT thread. Maybe the way to go is a formal complaint to Australian Communications Media Authority?
FWIW, I don't care how much a pilot gets paid. Every time they get me into an airport in crap weather and put me back at the terminal, they are worth every cent.

Capt Kremin
12th Oct 2011, 23:05
A complaint wont get anywhere because what they reported is probably true. A pilot... in all likelihood the management Fleet pilot probably did get that with everything, maybe even his bonus, included. So they didn't actually lie....

A330 SO's are in short supply so while their pay RATE didn't increase by 17% this year (the true figure is 0%) they did a lot more flying to a higher divisor and in many cases being riot -claused to fly above the divisor, so that becomes in Murdoch-speak, a 17% pay rise. So they didn't actually lie.....

You can see how you can't win.

Most 767 Captains have taken a pay and lifestyle hit. That won't be "leaked". Most A330 Captains will earn less this year compared to last because they are operating on a lower divisor as more captains are trained to be ready for when the J* A330's return. That won't be "leaked".

Dont send in your group certificates ... they will be used against you. Dont expect a fair hearing from the Murdoch press, their colours are well and truly nailed to the mast as they were in '89.

Be cool. Stay on message.

Ngineer
13th Oct 2011, 00:50
The travelling public will on the most part agree that they want professional pilots up the front and will pay for it.

We as LAME's were only thinking of sending payslips and group certificates to the media at work yesterday.

The company and press are turning this into a greed issue and I for one will not play into their hands.

I want more work, not more money. I want a secure job for the foresee-able future.

Don't make this into a pay dispute. It isn't.

Totally agree!!!:ok:

balance
13th Oct 2011, 01:12
Hildebrand might be a management stooge, but I think this "News Release" (aka pathetic dishonest leak!) might just have backfired. Look at some of these comments. Go you good thing!

Revealed: Qantas pilots paid more than Prime Minister Julia Gillard | News.com.au (http://www.news.com.au/business/qantas-pilots-on-high-flying-wages/comments-e6frfm1i-1226165387483)

ejectx3
13th Oct 2011, 01:20
Ha Ha Ha, good to see. Why is my font so damn big!? This is size 1 font!

Jabawocky
13th Oct 2011, 01:25
Qantas pilots paid more than Juliar.......... And so they should be.:ok:

yadot
13th Oct 2011, 07:14
Why don't you grow some and actually call him. I did! He wants your emails! Be balanced though!

TallestPoppy
13th Oct 2011, 07:20
Directanywhere.........just to put your pay in perspective, you are earning more than some major airline B747 First Officers, and more than some Captain's in Europe. These are airlines with whom your company is competing.

Sadly, Australia's inflation has pushed its costs beyond that of many of its competitors.

Sorry mate, doesn't help with your mortgage, but its a fact.

600ft-lb
13th Oct 2011, 07:38
Why would you bother trying to convince this stooge any different.
By stooge .. I'll quote some headlines.
Qantas pilots want spas, massages, facials included in work entitlements by: Joe Hildebrand
QANTAS pilots are demanding to receive the same treatment as first-class passengers as ... by: Joe Hildebrand
Qantas pilots bid for $200000 in perks. by: Joe Hildebrand
Revealed: Qantas pilots paid more than Prime Minister Julia Gillard. by: By Joe Hildebrand
Inflight Qantas words a turn-off. by: By Joe Hildebrand
Virgin Australia to hire Qantas rejects. by: EXCLUSIVE by Joe Hildebrand
Union heavies ride Qantas gravy plane. by: Exclusive by Joe Hildebrand
Qantas pilots demand cheap family flights. by: By Joe Hildebrand
QANTAS pilots stand to pocket almost $200000 each on average if the ... Qantas pilots want free flights. by: Joe Hildebrand
and
Figures obtained by the Herald Sun reveal the pilots' claim for a pay rise, added job security and perks such as free flights, would total $317 million - an average of about $190,000 for each of the airline's 1700 flyboys.
Qantas says the claim on wages and travel would cost it around $150 million over the next four years.Figures obtained by The Daily Telegraph (http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/national/qantas-pilots-on-high-flying-wages/story-e6freuzr-1226165343157)revealed even the lowest paid second officers are on almost $100,000 a year while senior captains are paid up to $536,000. This is more than Prime Minister Julia Gillard's base salary of $366,000.QANTAS pilots stand to pocket almost $200,000 each on average if the airline caves into their demands, with the lion's share going on two free tickets a year to anywhere in the world. Why waste your time calling him ?

Angle of Attack
13th Oct 2011, 08:09
Ignore it and keep focusing on the 2 year timeframe, short term petty things like this don't matter!

UPPERLOBE
13th Oct 2011, 09:37
Love the number of new members here, funny how most of them are company stooges trying to light fires.

spelling_nazi
14th Oct 2011, 07:55
A number of us contacted him after his 1st mis-information article and received very abusive and childish responses. A waste of time.

neville_nobody
14th Oct 2011, 08:35
A number of us contacted him after his 1st mis-information article and received very abusive and childish responses. A waste of time.

If you can substantiate the factual errors he is making write to these guys.

Media Entertainment and Arts Alliance | Code Of Ethics Breaches - How To Complain (http://pda.alliance.org.au/code-of-ethics-breaches-how-to-complain)

gobbledock
14th Oct 2011, 11:30
Well well well, I love the comment about Pilots earning more than the orange haired carbon queen! Let's just say for a minute that it is true, well, how justifiably so. The reason being obvious:

1.Unlike the Carbon Queen, a pilot or engineer can actually productively undertake a task that saves money, not merely piss it down the drain without accountability. A pilot and engineer can touch something without it turning to complete ****e. Queen Red and her conglomerate of manure sacks can't do that.
2. Pilots and engineers start something (e.g an engine change or fly an aircraft to say Singapore) and actually achieve an 'end result', something measurable, within financial constraints and something that is objective. Very opposite to the red haired clown and her team of trough indulgers.
3. Pilots and engineers actually perform a task that benefits people other than themselves. Oops, I don't see Judas Isgillard and her team of taxpayer funded nimrods doing that.
4. Pilots and engineers talk either in technical terms or basic english phraseology. They don't speak in bureaucratic wank talk using well worn ditties like 'underpinning', 'overarching', 'robust', and other such ****e that really has worn thin after years of being abused by robotic speaking political parasites.
5. Pilots and engineers started life and often continue life getting their hands dirty and earning their keep through blood, sweat and tears. Unlike silver spooned politicians who wander aimlessly from trough to trough seeking their fill of easy money without accountability or responsibility. Check under Albaneses or Fergusons pudgy delicate fingernails and see if you find the stains of a hard days work or the stains of taxpayer funded caviar, truffle and expensive champaign consumption events.
6. Pilots and engineers have actually performed a service that coands respect. Politicians are not worthy of a serial killers respect.
7. Finally, pilots and engineers pull together as a team to accomplish something tangible, unlike out lazy fat arsed pillows who sit in some opulent chamber spitting insults at each across the room while yet again we, the taxpayer have to pay for these imbeciles luxurious lifestyle in the process. But hey, don't worry, I am happy to see my kids go without a quality education and sit in a Fu#kin 40 degree classroom while MY tax pays for these bottom dwelling bloated minions to trot around the globe and blowing billions on worthless schemes dreamed up while they sunned themselves at a luxury resort in the Maldives.

So, people have the gall to question an individual who maybe earns more than the Carbon Queen? Pilots and Engineers study for years and years to achieve success in their field, politicians spend a few years lying, spin doctoring, backstabbing and licking the asses of corporate heavyweights kist to get elected, pathetic grubs.
I challenge a Pollie to show more loyalty, skill, fairness and honesty than the average pilot or engineer? Yep I thought as much.