PDA

View Full Version : Honeywell EPIC FMS

Geoffersincornwall
11th Oct 2011, 14:57
Can anybody explain how and why the Jeppesen database in the EPIC system displays waypoint names that are different to those on the relevant Jeppesen Approach plate?

Given the exhortations of CAP 773 with regard to the dangers of ANY ambiguities I am at a loss to understand the situation.

It causes great confusion and makes briefing the approach tedious and unnecessarily complicated.

G. :confused:

212man
11th Oct 2011, 22:26
Geoff, are you talking about actual named waypoints or other points such as radial and dme fixes in the arrival and missed approach? If the latter then the convention is to use a letter to denote the dme range - 10 = J for instance. So 13 miles on the 007 radial would be shown in the FMS as D007M. All the waypoints named should follow ARINC 424 and if you do some googling for that there is a wealth of information on the naming convention and also the leg types - Radius to Fix (RF); Track to Fix (TF); Heading to Altitude (VA) etc etc.

The newest Jepessen plates also have some of the FMS waypoints shown in reduced font (as well as the vertical path for NPAs) so you may see the missed approach point based on dme for runway 03 shown as MD03 under the actual MAPt on the plate - and in the FMS.

However, that's generality and if your FMS is showing actual names that differ I have no idea!

Geoffersincornwall
12th Oct 2011, 16:03
Thanks 212

Next time I am IFR-ing in the box I'll take a snap of the relevant detail so that I can relate your comments/observations to the latest plates for that destination.

Aye

G.