PDA

View Full Version : Taking a still from Street View

tony draper
11th Oct 2011, 13:08
Running XP on me last home made super puter I could take a still picture from Google Street view no prob,now running 64 bit win7 on my new home made effort and I cant figure out how to take a still picture of the scene,can anybody help?
:confused:

MacBoero
11th Oct 2011, 13:34
It is my belief that Alt-Print Scrn works in Windows 7 just as it did in Windows XP.

You have to be careful on some newer keyboards that change the Print Scrn from a dedicated key to a function, and may require FN to be pressed too.

Mike-Bracknell
11th Oct 2011, 14:57
Snipping tool?

TWT
11th Oct 2011, 23:26
'Screengrab' works well for me with Firefox

Keef
11th Oct 2011, 23:48
Snipping Tool, Tony - assuming you have Win 7 Home Premium or higher.

It's in the Accessories, or entering "snipping" in the search box will fetch it.

Loose rivets
12th Oct 2011, 00:03
Is there any way to display said snipped item on Pprune without resorting to Photobucket or the like?

fhegner
12th Oct 2011, 00:19
Loose Rivets

from FAQ:

How do I upload pictures?

Attachments and Images How do I attach a file to a post?

To attach a file to your post, you need to be using the main 'New Post' or 'New Thread' page and not 'Quick Reply'. To use the main 'New Post' page, click the 'Post Reply' button in the relevant thread.
On this page, below the message box, you will find a button labelled 'Manage Attachments'. Clicking this button will open a new window for uploading attachments. You can upload an attachment either from your computer or from another URL by using the appropriate box on this page. Alternatively you can click the Attachment Icon to open this page.
To upload a file from your computer, click the 'Browse' button and locate the file. To upload a file from another URL, enter the full URL for the file in the second box on this page. Once you have completed one of the boxes, click 'Upload'.
Once the upload is completed the file name will appear below the input boxes in this window. You can then close the window to return to the new post screen.

What files types can I use? How large can attachments be?
In the attachment window you will find a list of the allowed file types and their maximum sizes. Files that are larger than these sizes will be rejected. There may also be an overall quota limit to the number of attachments you can post to the board.

How do I add an image to a post?
If you have uploaded an image as an attachment, you can click the arrow next to the 'Attachment Icon' and select it from the list. This will be inserted into your post and can be located where you want it displayed.
To include an image that is not uploaded as an attachment and is located on another website, you can do so by copying the full URL to the image, (not the page on which the image is located), and either pressing the 'Insert Image' icon or by typing before the URL and after it, ensuring that you do not have any spaces before or after the URL of the image. You can insert pictures from your albums (?) (http://www.pprune.org/faq.php?faq=vb3_user_profile#faq_vb3_albums) in this way too.

hope it helps

Saab Dastard
12th Oct 2011, 06:24
fhegner,

Sadly, this is not the case. PPRuNe has never allowed attachments to be uploaded directly.

A 3rd party hosting solution is the only method of posting images on this site.

SD

Bushfiva
12th Oct 2011, 06:30
A very simple host is imgur.com, which doesn't require registration. A couple of clicks, and you're done. Originally designed for Reddit, but works with anything.

Loose rivets
12th Oct 2011, 08:34
Hee hee. As one who is in a permanent state of stressed rush, I uncharacteristically made myself read that fine post and absorb every detail . . . only to then read Saab's post. :\ Wibble indeed.

Thanks anyway, fhegner.

I'll try that other hosting program, but I noticed some of the grumbles with Photobucket have been addressed, though still rather cumbersome.

Flying Lawyer
12th Oct 2011, 18:52
I've used Photobucket for almost 8 years and am very satisfied. There was a period when there were occasional problems - minor nuisance, not serious - but whatever was the cause seems to have been resolved.

I also use Panoramio (http://www.panoramio.com/) occasionally. It's free, reliable and very easy to use.
As an example, uploading this pic took less than 40 seconds.

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/60478660.jpg

FL

IO540
13th Oct 2011, 10:40
Photobucket works for me too, but many uploads fail and have to be restarted. Some fail but were actually completed. The problem seems to be much worse when doing uploads of multiple files, or big files.

sitigeltfel
15th Oct 2011, 10:35
'Screengrab' works well for me with Firefox

Not available on V7.0.1 :*