PDA

View Full Version : New Menu? Grrr!

DX Wombat
11th Oct 2011, 11:13
Grrrr! (http://web.orange.co.uk/article/quirkies/Puppy_meat_no_worse_than_pork_chops) Somebody will have just lost a lot of fans. :*

Storminnorm
11th Oct 2011, 11:18
I always suspected that he was Korean !!!!!

Seldomfitforpurpose
11th Oct 2011, 12:04
Having read the brief article I am not sure I can see where what he says is wrong :confused:

Checkboard
11th Oct 2011, 12:13
There seems to be a general taboo in eating the flesh of animals who also eat the flesh of animals. :yuk:

Perhaps it's a disease transmission thing - it's a bit like the reaction consumers had upon discovering that cows were being fed the remains of other cattle in the form of meat and bone meal (MBM), ... and that resulted in BSE (mad-cow disease)! :uhoh:

603DX
11th Oct 2011, 12:35
I think he was just making a hypothetical observation, not advocating the practice! The same sort of purely theoretical proposition could be made about the feasibility of eating human meat. Only cannibals and crash survivors in remote locations and at risk of starvation are believed to have actually done so, in dire circumstances. Everyone recoils in horror at the thought of this; almost as many as those enraged at the concept of tucking into a dish made with those adorable golden labrador puppies! :eek:

MagnusP
11th Oct 2011, 12:47
Well, pigs are omnivores and we all love a bacon sarnie, don't we?

Parapunter
11th Oct 2011, 13:05
As are chickens.

Worrals in the wilds
11th Oct 2011, 13:16
...those adorable golden labrador puppies! http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/eek.gifPictures of adorable lambs etc have turned more than one teenage girl into a vegetarian, not that it usually lasts. A lot of people won't eat rabbit because they're 'cute', other people hoe in without a thought.

Even across western culture there are variations about what animals are acceptable as food. Horse, goat, pigeon, frogs, veal... I think a lot of it comes down to fashion and what you ate as a kid.

Remember these? :E My sister had one.
http://www.stickergiant.com/Merchant2/imgs/d9061.gif

OFSO
11th Oct 2011, 13:39
In Paris last Friday I dined with two beauteous and adorable ladies* of the Muslim faith: extremely westernised, the last vestiges of their religion were consuming no alcohol and no pork. (And mercifully not smoking, unlike so many other young ladies of my acquaintance).

Which made me wonder: they eat chicken, which are filthy birds, and mutton - sheep being utterly dimwitted and I've never seen one attempting to keep clean - but abhor pork, and as we all know pigs when left to themselves are pretty clean animals. One does question how some of these religious taboos originated. I suspect nothing to do with "cleanliness" but more with the parasites some of the creatures used to carry.

* Mindful of Slasher's blood pressure I won't post photographs. Just take my word for it.

Ancient Observer
11th Oct 2011, 13:43
Post 9 and no dog puns yet? I love dog puns. Inventing them keeps me awake during boring meetings.

OFSO
11th Oct 2011, 13:49
....when you can hear the papers held by your colleague, Jack, Russel.

Our friends in Barcelona have two golden labs., due to the hot weather they have fleas, so guess it's a Search for the Golden Fleece.

stuckgear
11th Oct 2011, 14:01
One does question how some of these religious taboos originated. I suspect nothing to do with "cleanliness" but more with the parasites some of the creatures used to carry.

Under cooked pork can result in transfer or paracites, eg tapeworm..

dodgy shellfish, not good.

In older times when medical assistance was neither as comprehensive, nor as widely available, bad food could result in life threatening problems. Hence to ensure the future of the tribe certain food sources were verboten, as well cultural norms like eating with one hand and wiping the arse with the other. unless of course your name is Abu Hamza.

OFSO
11th Oct 2011, 14:23
Is one supposed to do both at the same time ? Bit tough if you are dyslexic.

Lafyar Cokov
11th Oct 2011, 14:27
I'd only eat dog to impress my boss - I'd think of it as a good Korea move!

Slasher
11th Oct 2011, 15:52
"Dogs are companion animals and as man's best friend they
provide immeasurable love, comfort and support to owners
all over the world."

And pigs provide immeasurable love to cats all over the world
especially sexually psychotic large felines from Viet Nam.

As for eating dogs I'm particularly fussy when I'm out dining
in Northern China - I won't just tuck into anything thats been
caught on the street and chopped up. One has to first look at
the breeds and then the type of feed used to rear them, and
finally the restaurant quality and hygienic reputation.

Storminnorm
11th Oct 2011, 16:16
Yes, save the dogs.
We'd be lost without them.
No one to round the sheep up. It would be chaos.
Sheep shit everywhere!!!
A bit like Wales really.

charliegolf
11th Oct 2011, 19:09
cultural norms like eating with one hand and wiping the arse with the other

My cultural norm is to wipe my arse with toilet paper, but whatever, eh?

And Norm, Oi!:=

CG

Tankertrashnav
11th Oct 2011, 19:44
Fearny-Whittingstall can't be faulted on his logic on this one from a moral point of view. A better example would be horses, which the French eat (and yes it does taste like beef) but we Brits are squeamish about. No logic at all in that, but that's the way it is.

Parapunter
11th Oct 2011, 19:47
Losing fans? He is about as animal-centric a chef as you can get. You'd be far better off moaning at your local kebab shop, one imagines there's few questions asked on provenance over there.

Still a posh twerp though.

hellsbrink
11th Oct 2011, 21:48
A better example would be horses, which the French eat (and yes it does taste like beef) but we Brits are squeamish about.

Not just the French, and this Brit ain't squeamish about eating horse either. Lovely stuff it is.

Didn't Gordon "EffMe" Ramsay do some stunt that involved offering people some horse to eat at a racecourse? How did that go down?

Rollingthunder
11th Oct 2011, 21:55
Think that was "The Two Fat Ladies". They got moved on by the police.

second thought - Janet Street-Porter. she got moved on by police

mustpost
11th Oct 2011, 21:55
Heard yesterday that a female friend won't eat lamb unless it's from NZ on account of them not having had scrapie..

hellsbrink
11th Oct 2011, 22:00
Think that was "The Two Fat Ladies". They got moved on by the police

Naaah, sure it was the Bluenose.......

Yup, it was (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1550742/We-should-eat-horse-meat-says-Ramsay.html) him (http://www.hecklerspray.com/gordon-ramsay-wants-you-to-eat-a-horse/20078227.php) when he did that series "The F-Word".......

(second link more for comedy value than proof of it being him I was thunking of.......)

probes
11th Oct 2011, 22:03
Humans are hypocritical. As long as it's been served nice and clean and we haven't seen where it came from, no tears shed.
Like fish - they don't cry out, therefore more convenient to slaughter than pigs. (for the sake of transparency - I don't eat fish for the smell, do eat pork alright).

Rollingthunder
11th Oct 2011, 22:09
Horse steak recipe and horse meat investigation - The F Word - YouTube

con-pilot
11th Oct 2011, 22:18
I don't eat fish for the smell

Fresh fish should not smell. If they do, don't buy or eat it. Shoot, I live in a very landlocked part of the US and we can buy fresh sea food, with no smell.

However, be warned about US law, if the fish* is caught on the open sea and processed and then frozen at sea, by law it is considered fresh.

But we do have a very large Asian food market where one can buy live fish, still swiming in a tank.

* Or shrimp, crab, etc.

radeng
11th Oct 2011, 22:40
Does eating horse at a racecourse lead to an encouragement for the runners to try to not to come in last?

alisoncc
11th Oct 2011, 22:54
For those who keep crocodiles as pets my apologies, as croc meat is all the go down here at present. Tastes a bit like fishy chicken, and as most chicken is fed on fish meal you really can't tell the difference, 'cept the croc is a tad more expensive.

merlinxx
11th Oct 2011, 23:31
What have you got against the Taffia ?:E

Check out "Gatwick Airport Air Couriers Hangar History" on youtube:ok:

probes
11th Oct 2011, 23:43
Fresh fish should not smell.

Fish smell of fish, can't blame them. Won't blame them who eat fish either. Not me, thank you.

Flying Lawyer
12th Oct 2011, 07:02
Fearnley-Whittingstall was simply pointing out the illogicality, not advocating eating puppy meat:
"In principle, but not in practice, I have no objection to a high-welfare organic puppy farm."

Tankertrashnav A better example would be horses, which the French eat (and yes it does taste like beef) I'll take your word for it. I haven't (as far as I know) eaten horse but I once tried zebra when it was a 'special' at the Butcher Shop & Grill in Johannesburg. It looked like beef but that's where the similarity ended; I left most of it.

I recommend the restaurant - their steaks are amongst the most delicious I've ever eaten. Some people claim it's a tourist trap but each time we've been there we've been with locals.

MagnusP
12th Oct 2011, 08:29
Mr Norm, ignore the critics. All sheepdogs in Wales are called Pimp, anyway.

ExSp33db1rd
12th Oct 2011, 10:22
.........won't eat lamb unless it's from NZ...........

So that's where all the best lamb goes to ! All we get is the crap that isn't fit for export. Never eat the stuff - until I go on holiday 'abroad'.

MagnusP
12th Oct 2011, 10:31
When I can get a supply, I go for Shetland lamb. Delish, but not cheap.

parabellum
12th Oct 2011, 11:22
but more with the parasites some of the creatures used to carry.

Pork, when kept in a 'free range' or wild state was known to be riddled with worms and associated illness's. Not so today.

Storminnorm
12th Oct 2011, 15:26
I seem to have been targetted for some reason.

I have absolutely NOTHING against the Taffia.(Worth mentioning.)

I can only just remember being at Air Couriers,(Was it?), Hangar
whilst attending to my duties at GB Airways.

I love horses, and I also love horsemeat.
I think "Fricandel" in Holland is made of Minced Nag, innit?

charliegolf
12th Oct 2011, 15:47
All sheepdogs in Wales are called Pimp, anyway

Passable good, well done!:D

CG

Slasher
12th Oct 2011, 16:33
Humans are hypocritical. As long as it's been served nice and
clean and we haven't seen where it came from, no tears shed.

I think Doug Adams vaguely touched on what you are talking
about Probes -

C1nxaQhsaaw

Flying Lawyer
12th Oct 2011, 16:36
All sheepdogs in Wales are called Pimp

Only if it's the fifth pup in the litter.

DX Wombat
12th Oct 2011, 16:37
The correct spelling is "Pump"

G-CPTN
12th Oct 2011, 16:46
Yan Tan Tethera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yan_Tan_Tethera)

hellsbrink
12th Oct 2011, 17:50
I think "Fricandel" in Holland is made of Minced Nag, innit?

Nope.

Most Frikandel/Curryworst are a mix of beef/chicken/pork but some makers also add a bit of 'orse too.

The only commonality between all of them is that nobody is actually sure what "bit" of the animal is in the Frikandel/Curryworst........

Solid Rust Twotter
12th Oct 2011, 19:25
...I once tried zebra when it was a 'special' at the Butcher Shop & Grill in Johannesburg. It looked like beef but that's where the similarity ended; I left most of it.

I recommend the restaurant - their steaks are amongst the most delicious I've ever eaten. Some people claim it's a tourist trap but each time we've been there we've been with locals.

Tourist trap alright. There are better places out there but it would depend who you're with as to even finding them. BS&G got the idea from Maders' which is nothing but a shed on the back of a butchery with a load of braais down one side. They only serve lunch and then only on weekdays as the owner couldn't be bothered to run it as a night time venue. Unbelievable steaks. Salad, sadza and gravy used to be free but I think a nominal charge is now the norm for them. None of the regulars even bother with that, instead opting for the artery mutilator all meat lunch.

G&T ice n slice
12th Oct 2011, 21:53
Ostrich is rather nice
(1) first cath your ostrich

RedhillPhil
12th Oct 2011, 21:58
In Paris last Friday I dined with two beauteous and adorable ladies* of the Muslim faith: extremely westernised, the last vestiges of their religion were consuming no alcohol and no pork. (And mercifully not smoking, unlike so many other young ladies of my acquaintance).

Which made me wonder: they eat chicken, which are filthy birds, and mutton - sheep being utterly dimwitted and I've never seen one attempting to keep clean - but abhor pork, and as we all know pigs when left to themselves are pretty clean animals. One does question how some of these religious taboos originated. I suspect nothing to do with "cleanliness" but more with the parasites some of the creatures used to carry.

* Mindful of Slasher's blood pressure I won't post photographs. Just take my word for it.

I rather suspect that it's more to do with where the religion originated. Pork and shellfish go off very quickly in warm weather. What speeds up the process of going off is the presence of blood. ergo, don't eat pork or shellfish and drain the carcass of blood.

Slasher
13th Oct 2011, 01:23
.......it's more to do with where the religion originated.
Pork and shellfish go off very quickly in warm weather.

And nobody likes drinking warm or hot beer neither.
Perhaps its why Ubu'l Kassim's book has it banned.

sitigeltfel
13th Oct 2011, 18:21
Bizarre urban myth ruining business at Chinese restaurant - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/8824697/Bizarre-urban-myth-ruining-business-at-Chinese-restaurant.html)