PDA

View Full Version : FAA CLASS 1 MEDICAL

shai2000
10th Oct 2011, 13:30
Hi Guys .

I hold a FAA class 1 medical and FAA ATP .
Whats happen to my ATP if I don't renew my Class 1 medical and if I want to renew it after couple of years do I need a special procedure ?

Thanks

paulsalem
10th Oct 2011, 13:34
Nope.

You only need a Class 1 medical when required for the type of flying you are doing. (121, or scheduled 135). Lots of corporate guys only get class 2 medicals.

FAA ATP is valid for life, you can go 20 years without a medical, and then show up to an AME (FAA approved doctor) and get a medical of any class (1, 2 or 3)

alouette3
10th Oct 2011, 14:01
Shai,
Let me clarify Paul's answer a little better.If you do not renew your Class 1 medical then you will not be allowed to exercise the privileges of an ATP certificate .That includes operating aircraft > 12,500 lbs and,as Paul said most Part 121 operations and some scheduled Part 135 operations.
You can, however, continue to use the Class 1 medical, after the six month period,towards operations that do not involve the above. For instance,if you get a Class 1 and get hired as a Part 135 Unscheduled pilot for a Beech 90, you may continue to operate until a full year is up on your medical.Of course, company policy may dictate that you renew your Class 1 every six months.Some people mistakenly say that your Class 1 reverts to a Class 2 after six months. Not quite right.It retains it's nomenclature but you cannot use it for ATP privileges. I know, that is a bit of a technicality,but it is always technicalities that will get you.
Again, your FAA certificate is for life but you cannot exercise the privileges under that certificate if it is not accompanied by a valid and current medical required for the type of operation (Class 1 or Class 2). Class 3 medicals are not acceptable to employers looking to hire you as a pilot.
Hope this helps.
Alt3.