PDA

View Full Version : Necessary Profanity

Alloa Akbar
10th Oct 2011, 12:55
BBC News - Why Britain should mind its Ps and Qs (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15237906)

Are we a nation of foul mouthed louts, or is a degree of vile language useful in certain situations?

Discuss you b:mad:ds!

tony draper
10th Oct 2011, 13:26
Stephen Fry's prog on language last night covered profanity and featured some interesting research on swearing,apparently people who swear in stressful situations are less belligerant and less prone to resort to violence as a release, but I reckon the use of once taboo swear words has become so common place in everyday conversation that the good anglo saxon four letter words have lost all their power to sooth the savage breast.
Perhaps tiz the reason we have become such a violent society,we no longer have any taboo words just a few politically incorrect ones that only we honkies int allowed to use.
:rolleyes:

Alloa Akbar
10th Oct 2011, 14:01
savage breast

Freudian slip?? :O

Fitter2
10th Oct 2011, 14:07
Not at all.

Musick has Charms to sooth a savage Breast,
To soften Rocks, or bend a knotted Oak.
I've read, that things inanimate have mov'd,
And, as with living Souls, have been inform'd,
By Magick Numbers and persuasive Sound.

Congreve, The Mourning Bride, 1697.

Ancient Observer
10th Oct 2011, 14:12
I've often thought that by uttering all sorts of profanities at soccer games, and by doing all sorts of damage to folk at rugby games (and by being damaged at said games) I was turning myself in to a meek and mild pussy cat at home.
Simply no anger left......

OFSO
10th Oct 2011, 14:58
Interesting that after a stroke, not infrequently swearing and vile oaths are the only thing left after all other language is eliminated.

This isn't the case in multi-lingual people where quite often one language is lost whilst other(s) remain, as they are stored in a different part of the brain.

tony draper
10th Oct 2011, 15:10
Thank you Mr Fritter,not everyone is as edumacated as wot us is.:rolleyes:

Cyber Bob
10th Oct 2011, 16:03
There's something to be said for - Tourette's

surely not
10th Oct 2011, 16:16
OFSO what you say about bad language after someone has had a stroke iis very interesting. My mother, who is 89, has had around 7 strokes in the last year and after each one her language has been indecipherable apart from swear words that we have never heard her use before!

It must be really frustrating not to be able to communicate and I suppose that might also be a factor in resorting to swear words.

I am always amazed at how many people use strong profanity on their face book status for all the world to read.

tony draper
10th Oct 2011, 17:05
That touretts thing is weird,we had a young local kid had it, he used to ride around here on a bicycle and shout swear words at random pedestrians and motorists, everybody round these parts knew him and took no notice,came out of the corner shop once to see a big bloke had jumped out of his car and grabbed the poor buggah by the throat, he looked at me I just pointed at the kid gave the universal sign for simple mindedness rotated my finger at my temple,big chap let the lad go dusted him down and got back in his car looking very embarrassed,anyway that cyclist never swore at me again,poor buggah not seen him for years.
Oddly enough it doesn't seem as bad now what with the f word being in seemingly every conversation,dont think anybody wandering around shouting F***k at the top of their voices would have lasted long in the fifties.
:uhoh:

keikoebe
10th Oct 2011, 17:28
very good well done http://www.imgquick.com/images/43.gif

Fareastdriver
10th Oct 2011, 17:36
I blame television.. Up to about 1950 BBC language was taken as the datum for all English speaking Brits. ITV then came along and the standard of broadcasting dropped. BBC jumped on the bandwagon for viewers and soaps on both channels became more representitive of what the writers and producers decided the UK was like.
It wasn't, really, but as what is seen on television is always true that was how it was on the television.
If the BBC had kept its nose clean and ITV had followed suit then our everyday language would be a lot better.

Checkboard
10th Oct 2011, 19:54
The Mythbusters did a test on pain and swearing (on the subject of swearing releasing emotional pressure)

Mythbusters- Kari Byron Swearing Test | No Pain, No Gain - YouTube

.. and found out that it works! :ok:

Checkboard
10th Oct 2011, 20:04
I have to say, listening to that, that the western world's ability to swear has been severely curtailed by the USA TV industry. A single word is about all a westerner can manage nowadays :(

A multi-generational insulting ten word sentence with good flow and a nice crescendo off the bat is all but unknown now. :{

Takan Inchovit
10th Oct 2011, 20:14
I learnt 'how to speak proper' from my Dad.
Usually when the #@&^*( useless 2&">^ cattle $#@*% dog went the wrong @%G+"># way, making the %$#[email protected]* cows go the other %#@*g":< way!

Mutt!

ExSp33db1rd
10th Oct 2011, 20:23
I blame television.. Up to about 1950 BBC language was taken as the datum for all English speaking Brits.

Whatever happened to Mary Whitehouse - was it Mary ? I seem to be suffering from an onset of euthanasia

( Sorry, amnesia, or even Alzheimers ? )

stuckgear
10th Oct 2011, 20:24
necessary profanity..

This sorry sight is the result of mindless vandalism which police are calling a 'crime against our Armed Forces'.
The First World War memorial was knocked over on Friday night, leaving lumps of stone scattered across the grass where people would normally stand to pay their respects.
Villagers in Prestbury, near Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, where the structure has stood proudly since 1920, have placed a 1,000 bounty on the heads of those responsible.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/10/10/article-2047431-0E50859000000578-7_634x831.jpg No respect: The shattered remains of the First World War memorial in Prestbury, Gloucestershire, lay strewn across the grass. The monument carries the names of 41 dead servicemen on six plaques

'A crime against our Armed Forces': Yobs smash First World War memorial to pieces | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2047431/A-crime-Armed-Forces-Yobs-smash-First-World-War-memorial-pieces.html#ixzz1aPdDqyTr)

bloody fcuktards! that's all i can muster.

Checkboard
10th Oct 2011, 20:39
That needs a town meeting - with one objective:

Everyone ASK THEIR CHILDREN WHERE THEY WERE on the night of ... :*

RedhillPhil
10th Oct 2011, 20:41
May they die in pain, spitting blood on their mother's grave whilst being savaged by rabid dogs.

tony draper
10th Oct 2011, 21:19
Bloody unbelievable.:suspect:

TBirdFrank
10th Oct 2011, 21:33
Its no more unbelievable than the retards who have stolen various bronze tablets containing the names of the fallen here and there across the country - or the amoral scrapmen who have paid for the metal but been caught before they melted them down!

What have we done to deserve to live amongst scum of this order???

tony draper
10th Oct 2011, 22:02
I suppose that could be concidered as motivated by money,they wish to sell the scrap,what the hell motivates vandalism like smashing up a war memorial,beats me for sure,seems like vandalism is its own reward, the more people it upsets the more extreme the better,
The trouble is puplicizing these outrages just means more copycats will come out from under their rocks and do the same,as we have seen in recent graveyard vandalism.
We can only hope that examples are made of this vermin if or when they are caught,but then we know it probably will not be the case,they will probably get a slapped wrist and be assigned a couple of social workers each.
:(

Slasher
11th Oct 2011, 03:14
The Mythbusters did a test on pain and swearing....

From 0:30 to 1:50 - what Kari'd be like if she sat on my groin. :E

2:00 to 3:01 - if she sat on Goudie's!

Note that left arm between her legs...

Music was appropriate too!

cavortingcheetah
11th Oct 2011, 03:28
British youth often seems to descend to challenging levels of personal and national degradation in its collective quest for ultimate in vile. But does anyone know for a fact that the thing just didn't topple over because it was old?

Slasher
11th Oct 2011, 03:30
Everyone ASK THEIR CHILDREN WHERE THEY WERE on the night of

If they find the shitheads I'm sure the social service
leftist retards will scream "Oh but its a cry for help!"

:*

Alloa Akbar
11th Oct 2011, 07:47
In the words of that great philosopher B.A. Baracus.. "I pity the fools".

Akrotiri71
11th Oct 2011, 08:19
For those who pay their respects every year at this memorial, let's hope it can be repaired before "Poppy Day".

And for those who did this despicable act, watch out!! :*

stuckgear
11th Oct 2011, 08:21
From 0:30 to 1:50 - what Kari'd be like

Sorry Slasher, i didn't make it past the first 1:12 before the mind started wander..

watching it again with the volume way up now.

:E

Slasher
11th Oct 2011, 15:27
So yer starting to perceive the world as I do, eh Stuck? :E

Mechta
11th Oct 2011, 15:47
The people who smash war memorials to get the bronze plaques for scrap probably take their example from the people who asset strip companies to take the pension funds; leaving the long serving employees, who have paid into all their working lives, with nothing. The legality may differ, but the morality doesn't.

redsnail
11th Oct 2011, 17:48
Back to the original topic. The tirade of abuse I launched at the printer today at the FBO made a few folks pause. I explained that it was only mild compared to what I can normally dish out in PMT week. :E

tony draper
11th Oct 2011, 17:54
Still had you not done so Captain Reddo you would have probably nutted somebody.
:rolleyes:

stuckgear
11th Oct 2011, 18:53
So yer starting to perceive the world as I do, eh Stuck? http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gif

Starting to ? i'ts an art i've been finely honing ! :E

jackieofalltrades
12th Oct 2011, 01:32
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj7zi9Tp5s4&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PLFC7490C2AC639BBC

jackieofalltrades
12th Oct 2011, 01:35
To add my tuppence, the scum that vandalise war memorials should be deported to some other vile part of the world, and not be permitted to enjoy their freedom in the UK.

pigboat
12th Oct 2011, 02:05
I had an uncle who served in the RCN in both WW1 and WW2, the first one on ASW patrol and the second on Corvettes, convoy duty and such. It was said he could swear for fifteen minutes straight without repeating himself, although I never experienced that duration, but five minutes was not an uncommon occurrence. Strangly enough, I never ever heard him drop the f-bomb, and he never used profanity in mixed company.

Slasher
12th Oct 2011, 02:21
He wasn't told to apologise at any time was he Piggy? ;)

gaiUqapF9Y4

cavortingcheetah
12th Oct 2011, 02:35
Having passed through a long period in my early life when I was brought up by an Irish nanny and her London Copper boyfriend, I have an undying loathing of profanity and foul language although I admit that swearing sounds hilarious in Italian. Perhaps that's because Italian is such a reflexive language? So although I succumb to the foul mouthed vice from time to time, I cannot say that I think that the use of such language is ever necessary. 'Tying a knot in it' as the English say, is a better form of structured self control.

Loose rivets
12th Oct 2011, 09:01
Firstly, I am deeply saddened so many young people just don't care about their country. What we see above is just one symptom of that void in their characters.

Back to Tourett's. The mention above of some cussing escaping after a stroke is I think, another argument for Tourett's being more than some complex 'tick.'

I've long wondered about multiple sentience, and mused over the idea of there being a mischievous being fighting to escape. It's clearly not a very articulate being.

There are a lot of arguments for there being more than one mind in a perfectly healthy brain. The phenomenon of multiple personalities is well documented, though thankfully very rare. It is just possible the stroke may have removed some of the control, that for a lifetime, held the mischief in check.

tony draper
12th Oct 2011, 09:10
Perhaps swearing was the first part of human language to develop and is deeply buried in the language structure of our brain,after all hitting one's thumb with a stone axe a hundred thousand years ago probably hurt just as much.
I read somewhere that the names of great men in primitive tribes were remembered by forbidding their name to be spoken aloud ever again on pain of death,thus making the name taboo ergo remembered.
:)

Alloa Akbar
12th Oct 2011, 09:59
Call me old fashioned, but I think our language has devolved into anglo jamaican profanities, condoned or even nurtured, by the falling standards required to gain a language qualification.. certainly listening to the under 21 age group talking gives that impression..

The SSK
12th Oct 2011, 11:25
I think we might have learned a bit more if that Stephen Fry programme had been about swearing, and not about Stephen Fry.

tony draper
12th Oct 2011, 11:44
True it jumps around the subject a tad swiftly,interesting though,a common fault in the documentary series now with celebs as front men,too much time devoted to clips of them posing against sunsets or spectacular landscapes and not enough to the subject in hand,
They all seem to be jumping on the documentary bandwaggon at the moment.
:)

Mechta
12th Oct 2011, 17:05
Perhaps swearing was the first part of human language to develop and is deeply buried in the language structure of our brain,after all hitting one's thumb with a stone axe a hundred thousand years ago probably hurt just as much.Imagine a group of caveman lexicologists sitting around a fire one evening...

Learned one: 'I hit my thumb with my axe this afternoon, and didn't have a suitable word to shout out to relieve the pain. Can anyone suggest the one we should go for?'

Slightly more neaderthal one: 'Ugg'

Another learned one: 'For pity's sake! You say that for everything. We let you have that for your furry boots as you made them. If you can't come out with anything original, go and pick your lice somewhere else...'

Beer_n_Tabs
13th Oct 2011, 21:18
And that tit for tat attitude is what worries the Young Foundation team. Ultimately, they warn, such prejudices "can deter civil behaviour, as people are likely to live up to the negative generalisations".

And they said 'tit'

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRIh83kBJwryuVTD9_L700tJbqUcaz1UMjs--trY1K4QZNcjF3c

Cacophonix
13th Oct 2011, 21:26
Whatever happened to the art of cussing without profanity...

For example any sentence using the word Vladivostok... or what about Captain Haddock's "ten thousand bashi-bazouks?

Mark Twain and the Art of Swearing (http://homepage.smc.edu/larsen_lyle/mark_twain_and_the_art_of_sweari.htm)

Mark Twain sagely observed that under certain trying circumstances swearing provides relief denied even to prayer. Most people, of course, unlike Mark Twain, never acquire proficiency in this field, but remain amateurs all their lives. They seek relief in trying circumstances by uttering a series of flat and commonplace vulgarities that fail to solace themselves or to inspire others. These people--that is to say, most of us--would do better to stick with prayer and leave swearing to the masters.

Mark Twain, pen name of Samuel Clemens, learned to swear from the best practitioners of the art--mostly steamboatmen on the Mississippi River, and miners in the West. This was at a time when vivid swearing captured the youth, spirit, and vitality of young America, a time when gifted swearers commanded respect and admiration.

Caco

tony draper
13th Oct 2011, 21:49
Individual taboo words lose their ability to shock or upset over time, wasn't it Lily Langtree that used the word 'Bloody'! on the stage for the first time? the newspapers were outraged,demands were made that she be arrested and questions were asked in the House.
I remember in my young manhood the worst thing you could call anybody up here was a Bastard,instant loss of teeth would probably result,yet down South it was almost a term of effection,went on a Merchant Navy Defence course once and the RN instructor was a broad Cockney chap up from the smoke,fond of the phrase 'you barstewards' when addressing us he were, a large hairy arsed Scouse had a word in his ear re this foolishness and he desisted.
Yet as a insult it is almost worthless up here now.:rolleyes:

G-CPTN
13th Oct 2011, 22:20
When we moved to live in Denmark in 1982, we were 'surprised' that almost every child used the F-word freely without check from their parents, whilst adults shuddered if anyone mentioned Satan, or Hell (a particularly strong curse was Satan and Hell). To them, our English swear words were merely bodily functions and quite natural (they would regale in detail any personal malfunctions) - and it wasn't unusual for a businessman in a meeting to announce that he was going for a piss!
However, one of the worst things that you could do was to blow your nose in public (sniffing was considered polite as a way of avoiding to have to leave the room and blow your nose in private).

ExSp33db1rd
14th Oct 2011, 07:58
......yet down South it was almost a term of effection,.........

In Aus. it is. ( with affection, actually, but I won't go there ! )

radeng
14th Oct 2011, 09:37
I remember the fuss in the tool shop when the customer with small child of about 7 behind me got upset when I told the man that I wanted a ten inch bastard. File, of course, but she didn't know about that. Strangely, I don't think I've ever seen a smaller bastard than a 10 inch.

But even as late as about 1952, a ironmongers in one place in North Nottinghamshire advertised 'Farmer's cu*ts'. Now in fact, they were a leather sheaf in which you carried a long, round, somehat conical grindstone used for sharpening scythes and sickles......