PDA

View Full Version : Bangkok Suvarnabhumi - possible flooding?

OverRun
10th Oct 2011, 08:10
Over the next few days, a deluge of water is going to hit Bangkok and will combine with high tides and more rain. It's worse than a 1 in 50 year event. The tide hits its peak between October 15 and 17. What does this mean for operations at the international airport at Bangkok: Suvarnabhumi Airport?

International media have been rather quiet so far, but in Thailand itself, various stories exist about digging new canals and installing hundreds of water pumps to pump out water to the sea. :rolleyes: Not sure if there is enough time for that now.

Authorities in Samut Prakan are reportedly "directing water from canals and catchment areas in Muang district to estuaries to minimise the risk of Suvarnabhumi Airport flooding". I think that means its going to be gumboots time.

Bloomberg are reporting:
Thailand Bolsters Flood Defenses as Deluge Threatens Bangkok
Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra ordered authorities in Bangkok to bolster flood defenses as the nation’s worst deluge in more than 50 years threatens to inundate the capital over the next few days.

At least 269 people have been killed and 2.4 million displaced as a result of the seasonal monsoon rains that have hit the country since July 25, the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation said on its website today. About 30 of Thailand’s 77 provinces remain underwater, the agency said.

Floodwaters that shut down factories operated by Honda Motor Co., Nikon Corp. and Canon Inc. over the weekend will reach Bangkok later this week

. . . . “We have to admit that this is more serious than in the past,” Yingluck said Oct. 7 in a nationally televised address. . . . .
High tides that are expected between Oct. 15 and Oct. 17 may exacerbate flooding in the capital, Yingluck said yesterday.

Anyone with knowledge of how Suvarnabhumi Airport is going to fare?

visibility3miles
10th Oct 2011, 08:22
More news here:
Bangkok Braces for Floods as Old Siamese Citadel Lies Swamped (http://www.irrawaddy.org/article.php?art_id=22226)

Sounds dire.

Pinkman
10th Oct 2011, 10:00
Even if the runways & taxiways drain OK (and drainage / twy construction was an issue when the new airport was built, remember) there will still be operational issues with staff getting in to work and supply chain for fuel, catering etc. etc.

Even if you moved intercontinental flights back to Don Muang - which they have done before during protest/strikes - the above issue apply. Plus, crew rostering, everyone on bottled water, threat to water supplies and health etc etc - I think we may see some disruptions.

The Chao Praya is absolutely massive and the current is phenomenal even on a normal day. People tend to forget the effect that spring highs have on flooding. Get a peak in rainfall as well as an historical spike coming downstream as well and you might as well go home. If it hasnt been washed away.

For the Thai premier to admit that they might not be able to handle it ("we are at our wits end") tells you all you need to know. They are lovely and gentle people but they hate admitting failure - it really was an extraordinary statement to make...

Just my luck to be there next week Mon - Weds.

ZFT
10th Oct 2011, 10:39
Original press release. (Situation somewhat different now )

Suvarnabhumi Airport has flood prevention system in place
BANGKOK, 23 September 2011 (NNT)-Suvarnabhumi Airport is preparing for the possible rise in water levels around the airport as the water runoff from the North continues to increase.

The Airports of Thailand (AoT) has sent a team of officers to inspect the areas around the airport and concluded that the current water levels do not pose a threat.

The AoT further added Bangkok and its surrounding provinces could be in for possible inland flooding as heavy rains had been forecast this weekend in the Northeast.

The authority may try to relieve the inundation by allowing the runoff to flow into rivers which are going to Bangkok and Samutprakarn before reaching the ocean.

According to the AoT, there are 8 water stations to the south of the airport which could relieve as much as 30 million cubic meters of water per day. The Airport has the flood prevention system in place which includes small reservoirs and 3 meter high flood walls.

There are also canals surrounding the reservoirs to help maintain the safe level of water. The AoT added later that should the water rise significantly, the Department of Royal Irrigation would begin to drain and release the water to the south of the airport.

News ID: 255409230003

Reporter : NUPPOL SUVANSOMBUT
News Date : 23 September 2011

AlexanderH
10th Oct 2011, 16:14
I'm in Bangkok at the moment and so far it seems ok, however, there has been a lot of rain recently.

I'm due to fly back to Europe on Saturday 15th!

sablatnic
11th Oct 2011, 08:50
Anyone know how the flooding is progressing at and around the old airport, Dong Mueang, please?

ElitePilot
11th Oct 2011, 13:40
One runway closed all day today notam'd WIP, anyone see any sandbagging?

Thai Pom
12th Oct 2011, 03:55
"One runway closed all day today"

At BKK or DMK ?

ZFT
12th Oct 2011, 05:00
Predictions are not good for later tonight.Tonight isn't the problem. 16th - 18th and 28th -31st are the difficult periods.

DouglasFlyer
12th Oct 2011, 06:54
"One runway closed all day today"

At BKK or DMK ?

https://pilotweb.nas.faa.gov/PilotWeb/

cargoman1
12th Oct 2011, 07:18
Things always look and sound much worse on TV than they really are. The likelihood of the Airport flooding is extremely remote. There are some minor issues getting employees in/out from their homes but nothing to be concerned about at this time. The RWY closure yesterday for 3 hours had nothing to do with weather. We have already made contingency plans should the situation get worse. DMK is actually lower than SVB so more likely to flood. The 3.8 metre high dyke around SVB is there. Should it come over that the complete surrounding areas would be under 10ft of water so who cares anyway!! We will just stay right here under the water goes down and we can go home.

OverRun
14th Oct 2011, 12:00
Reported in the Bangkok Post today is a contingency plan for relocating aircraft out of BKK if necessary due to flooding:

Carriers prepare to shift planes from airport (http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/261229/carriers-prepare-to-shift-planes-from-airport)

Xeque
14th Oct 2011, 15:54
The residents of Lam Luka and Sai Mai on the northern boundary of the airport have been on high alert since last night (Thursday). We'll know by Saturday morning is there is going to be a major problem there.
In the meantime the powers that be are saying that Suvarnabhumi should be OK but I remember the photograph I took from the air just before the new airport opened - http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s113/Xeque22/VTBS01JoiningdownwindL19L_2.jpg - and the weather is a great deal worse now. There could be delays for the very reasons that others here have suggested. Not so much aircraft movement on the ground perhaps but getting people and supplies to the airports.

ZFT
14th Oct 2011, 22:33
This is the barrier at the SE perimeter of the airport being rapidly enlarged. View looking South.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a154/ZFT/general/VTBS_barrier.jpg

Pom Pax
16th Oct 2011, 01:52
Xeque may I suggest your photo http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s113/Xeque22/VTBS01JoiningdownwindL19L_2.jpg shows nothing more than controlled flooding of selected fields during the normal cycle of rice cultivation.

Davidsoffice
21st Oct 2011, 10:00
Have the waters receded or is there still a threat?

ZFT
21st Oct 2011, 13:04
At today's briefing we were told to expect major flooding to the southern side (outside of the protected zone) from tonight. However, we were also told something similar 3 days ago, but today's briefing was more 'professional' and indicated that if the flooding occurred, it would last for up to 2 weeks . Somewhat worrying times.

geriatrix
25th Oct 2011, 13:31
I understand the "old" airport, Don Muang, still used for domestic and low cost flights, will be closed from tonight, due to water on the runway...