PDA

View Full Version : Ipad or Iphone 4 for GPS

jibranshahid
9th Oct 2011, 20:36
i have recently become a flight instructor at a flying school, i want to buy a gps. so i am confused what should i buy; iphone 4 or ipad or ipad 2?
if i go for separate garmin gps, then thats quite expensive.

ckalli
10th Oct 2011, 02:49
get the iphone 4

it has a very accurate gps and more portable than an ipad.

get a software called "air navigation pro" and download the maps u require.
very good something like a gps on a WAC

other good things for a pilot to have on his/her iphone

1. aeroweather ( metar and taf of any station)
2. log book pro
3. Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge
4. X-plane (sim for fun)
5. Air Navigation pro (mentioned above)

happy landings!

Check Airman
10th Oct 2011, 06:17
You want to have a GPS (presumably to improve your situational awareness) and your options are apple products? :ugh:

I would never trust that sort of device. You have 2 options-

1. Go learn some basic navigation with a sectional chart and navaids before you start teaching.

2. Go buy the Garmin GPS.

I suggest you invest your time in option 1.

SFC172N
10th Oct 2011, 08:41
Hi, using air nav pro please ensure your device hard disc is not full or close to it. Else performance will be laggy. It should not be use as a primary tool for nav but rather a back up or for entertainment in flight.

jibranshahid
10th Oct 2011, 09:22
@ check airman: lol i have done hundreds of hours without any gps use, even to many remote vfr airfeilds totally on maps and dead reckoning. i just want to have a gps as an emergency backup. i told garmin gps is quite expensive thats y i am going for an apple product, as its cheap, entertainment plus a backup saftety gps.
some say iphone 4 have less battery than ipad thats y i am confused

roxar
10th Oct 2011, 10:53
lol i have done hundreds of hours without any gps use
i have recently become a flight instructor at a flying schoo
do u need GPS to go to Training Area?:ugh:

combustion chamber
10th Oct 2011, 10:54
Well i would advice you an Ipad.it can b later used in airline by u as well.

Jaz and the Fat Man
10th Oct 2011, 13:55
Many airlines are starting to use the iPad for flight operations and it's as dependable as anything else out there. Just carry one of those spare batteries as using the GPS mode takes a lot of juice. I have used the BT XGPS 150 "puck", that I can toss up on the glare shield for reception. For someone to state " I'd never trust that sort of device" is completely unfounded, and shows a lack of experience. As time goes on, you'll find more and more airlines leaning toward that type of technology. I also carry dozens of technical manuals that would otherwise not be available on a flight and the Goodreader program (free), is excellent for organizing. If you go with the iPad, the non 3G model didn't have built in GPS, but that's a moot point if you use the " puck ". Using a backup GPS is a smart move, especially in the area you appear to be teaching in. There is much more data available, such as roads, you won't have normally, even on the high tech aircraft. Losing an engine, at night, over rough terrain, might be good info to have, despite what the "experts" that will soon jump all over this post will have to say. Good luck!

profsx
10th Oct 2011, 16:53
Irrespective of what some people have to say here, I think its a good idea to go for the iPhone 4.
Im not saying my DR and map reading is top notch (just being humble), but Ive never really gone 'off-track', nevertheless, I personally would feel more comfortable having a device like that at hand, having a backup/alternate is always a part of aviation.

profsx
10th Oct 2011, 16:55
PS, android not too bad either, plenty of apps to do pretty much everything.

*Not here to start another Android vs IOS battle

ckalli
11th Oct 2011, 02:15
@ profsx

why dont u share some of those android apps here.. so who ever is using android can download.

Jaz and the Fat Man
12th Oct 2011, 13:08
100% I agree. In this business, you can never have too many backups. Anything will do. The only plus I have for the Ipad/Iphone, is all the apps available. I have flown some pretty high tech aircraft over the past 30 years and I actually had a handheld Garmin save my butt one time. But that's another story for another time.....

jibranshahid
19th Oct 2011, 23:48
is it possible to use blackberry as a gps?

jibranshahid
19th Oct 2011, 23:52
just as a backup on x-cty. our company aircrafts are so advanced that sometime there vor or ndb or dme stop working suddenly. so i need just as a safety backup

Jaz and the Fat Man
20th Oct 2011, 02:33
I don't believe it will work but I'll try it out this evening. The problem is, the BB program is very limited whereas other devices have downloadable aviation maps etc... Some, like foreflight for the iPad have moving maps for some countries. I'll let you know in a day or two.