PDA

View Full Version : Plan to retake Falklands from S.Africa

Earsling
9th Oct 2011, 17:18
Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Plan to safeguard Falklands (http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/276355/Plan-to-safeguard-Falklands)

Willard Whyte
9th Oct 2011, 18:18
Well, I suppose Cape Town is 12 miles closer to EGYP than Ascension...

ex-fast-jets
9th Oct 2011, 19:00
What does Sec Def's Best Man think about this cunning plot??

davejb
10th Oct 2011, 11:28
Damn,
I didn't even know the S Africans had captured them....
...must read the news more often.

Capetonian
10th Oct 2011, 11:29
The title of this is ambiguous and needs to be changed as it implies that South Africa owns the Falklands!

NutLoose
10th Oct 2011, 11:32
I remember a certain Regt Sqn in RAFG had a list up for volunteers to drive in a road convoy to the Falklands....... quite a few put their name down for it.. :E

bobward
10th Oct 2011, 11:37
On the link, there was aniother news story mentioned. Apparently BAes have invented a cloaking device (a la Star Trek)....

Does this mean that the RAF is actually a lot bigger then we think, and we just can't see all all those harriers, Jaguars and Nimrods being flown by the Romulans??
:oh::E:*

charliegolf
10th Oct 2011, 12:16
Well if they have, it don't work on Klingons, no shortage of those!

CG

snapper1
10th Oct 2011, 12:20
BomberH.

Unlikely to make him any dosh so not interested.

Biggus
10th Oct 2011, 14:41
Have they started digging tunnels from South Africa to the Falklands then...?

I don't suppose there are three........called Tom, Dick and Harry? :ok:

NutLoose
10th Oct 2011, 14:55
Then Harry will get finished, just like the Carriers, name them after a Royal and it's a brave politician that will cancel it.... ;)

Exnomad
10th Oct 2011, 15:04
Has anyone asks the South Africans if they would allow foreign forces to operate from there. Somehow I doubt it.

Navaleye
10th Oct 2011, 20:30
Foreign aid dear boy, works wonders!

The Helpful Stacker
10th Oct 2011, 20:59
Any foreign aid the UK can throw into SA is dwarfed by that which China (a country that is also best buddies with Argentina) is pouring into the country.

On top of this SA currently has a Mugabe-lite in power and could very soon have their very own full-fat version, complete with post-colonial chip on shoulder and corresponding 'international relations self-destruct button'. Any attempt to use SA as a staging post for operations in the South Atlantic would have the loons within the ANC screaming blue murder and 'imperialist aggressor' to the UN before an aircraft had left the UK.:O

All this is so much guff though. The Argentines are not now, nor likely to be anytime soon, in a position to use military force against the FI. Their government distrusts and underfunds the military worse than ours does. Plus the possibility of a British nuclear submarine being in the area is one hell of a deterrent to a "once bitten, twice shy" Argentine navy.

If Argentina tries to take the FI it'll be through the UN with their mates in South America, the Far East and Africa in tow.

racedo
10th Oct 2011, 22:11
Plus the possibility of a British nuclear submarine being in the area is one hell of a deterrent to a "once bitten, twice shy" Argentine navy.

I doubt Uncle Sam would allow one to be fired.

If Argentina tries to take the FI it'll be through the UN with their mates in South America, the Far East and Africa in tow.

I think a time will come where China offers a big enough sum and it will be sold.

Willard Whyte
10th Oct 2011, 22:32
On top of this SA currently has a Mugabe-lite in power and could very soon have their very own full-fat version, complete with post-colonial chip on shoulder and corresponding 'international relations self-destruct button'. Any attempt to use SA as a staging post for operations in the South Atlantic would have the loons within the ANC screaming blue murder and 'imperialist aggressor' to the UN before an aircraft had left the UK.http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/embarass.gif

Certainly Desmond is no fan:

ANC worse than apartheid govt: Tutu - Times LIVE (http://www.timeslive.co.za/local/2011/10/04/anc-worse-than-apartheid-govt-tutu)

Willard Whyte
10th Oct 2011, 22:35
I doubt Uncle Sam would allow one to be fired.

Nuclear powered, not nuclear armed.

I know we are reliant on Uncle Sam providing our D-5s from a pool but we can fire our own torpedoes without putting our hand up.

mini
10th Oct 2011, 22:38
Slow news day.

The Argies would never attempt a military takeover. Those days are gone.

Apart from the global political backlash, they haven't got the money.

Realpolitik.

Whenurhappy
11th Oct 2011, 06:49
I suspect that there is little truth in this story. South Africa is so 'Rght On' (clenched fist logo) these days that they are more likely to assist Argentina in reclaiming the FI in some twisted view of decolonialism. The China dimension in particularly interesting as there is some indication that diplomatic plressure was put on SA to delya the Dalai Lama's visa.

I'm sure China is continuing to sniff around deep water hydrocarbon finds.

Trim Stab
11th Oct 2011, 07:33
Any foreign aid the UK can throw into SA is dwarfed by that which China (a country that is also best buddies with Argentina) is pouring into the country.

If you've got some data on China's foreign aid to SA (and indeed to anywhere else) you'd better get in touch with the FCO - I'm sure they'd be interested. China does not publish details of its foreign assistance.

China does, however, very actively pursue large infrastructure programs in Africa and other developing countries. They are able to substantially under-bid most Western companies, and often combine this with low interest loans. As a result, China's influence in the third world and Africa particularly has grown very significantly since the end of the Cold War. This strategy of gaining influence around the world is more far-sighted than trying to impose globally impose military might. One wonders what the USA might have achieved if part of their enormous military budget had been used in this way.

Wyler
11th Oct 2011, 10:09
Zulus.......fousands of em :ok:

skwinty
11th Oct 2011, 10:13
Will South Africa supply Exocets to Argentina again?

Jollygreengiant64
11th Oct 2011, 12:09
But what is wrong with using Wideawake again? The RAF is hardly likely to use anything more strategic than a tornado from there in any significant number, so lack of space is hardly going to be an eliminating factor. I would say that the MOD probably looked back at the last time it was used and thought 'Ooh, there wasn't really enough room last time', but the cynic in me says that the MOD doesn't look any further forward or back in time than right now.

alisoncc
11th Oct 2011, 21:43
Everytime I see this thread title pop up my thoughts turn to "I have no recollection of South Africa ever taking the Falklands, so why should we have to retake it from them". Duh !!!
:confused: