PDA

View Full Version : Did you know Dave Bond?

Pat Malone
9th Oct 2011, 15:46
I am researching the official history of the companies which eventually became Bond Helicopters Ltd and am seeking information from anyone with first-hand knowledge of David Bond in the 1940s, 50s and 60s.
Mr Bond was a wartime Lancaster pilot (90 Sqn among others) who formed a company called Bond Air Services Ltd in 1946, flying Austers, Halifaxes and Lancastrians on air taxi and charter work. His association with Bond Air Services ended in 1947 (the company continued trading after his departure) and he flew Halifaxes for Eagle Aviation before joining Flight Refuelling Ltd to fly Lancastrians during the Berlin Airlift. He joined Pest Control Ltd (later Fison-Airwork) in 1952 and converted onto helicopters in 1953, thereafter flying Hiller 360s in Nigeria. In 1956 he converted onto the S55 and flew in support of Shell D’Arcy and BP in Nigeria, and at various times he was involved in instructing at Bourn, crop-spraying in the UK, Jamaica, Panama and Honduras, surveying in Algeria in a Twin Pin and flying for Marley Tiles in a Piaggio P166. After the Bristow takeover of Fison-Airwork he left to form Management Aviation Ltd which later gave birth to several subsidiaries including Bond Helicopters Ltd. Mr Bond died at the age of only 57 in 1977.
If you knew David Bond and can add any detail to these bare facts I would be very pleased to hear from you. Expecting details from the 1940s is a tad optimistic but you never know your luck. Please email patATrichmondaviation.co.uk.
(This request also posted in the 'Where are they now?' forum)

ericferret
9th Oct 2011, 17:31
Try giving Roy Huntingford a call.
Should be in the phone book at Fenstanton Cambs.
Long retired but worked with Bond crop spraying.

chopper2004
10th Oct 2011, 17:58
Pat,

Please check your PM

cheers

roundwego
10th Oct 2011, 20:31
Have you tried his family? Geoff and Mike (David's eldest sons both flew for many years for Management Aviation / Bond Helicopters after their Dad died and the two younger sons, Stephen and Peter are still actively involved with the latest re-incarnation of the Company. Neither David nor the sons ever get sufficient credit for the successful company that it came to be. Am not sure if Mrs Bond (David's widow) is still alive.

Pat Malone
11th Oct 2011, 13:45
Yes, I'm doing this on the family's behalf. Billie Bond has passed on.

Pat

norunway
11th Oct 2011, 16:12
No I did not know him but I wonder what his thoughts would be about the way pilots and indeed all staff are treated at present by the the current company that bears his name. :mad::mad::mad: and a few others spring to mind.

griffothefog
11th Oct 2011, 16:20
I managed 16 years with what was North Scottish/Management when it was a small company in the early 80's.... Great family to be with :ok:

TeeS
12th Oct 2011, 15:47
Well norunway, as one of a few who have been employed by the Bond brothers continuously for the past 20 years, I've got no major complaints, despite banging heads with one or two managers over that time.

Can you give us some specifics?

Cheers

TeeS

jimf671
5th Mar 2018, 18:24
I wonder whether this project has resulted in anything that can be shared with the wider public?

It is more important than it ever was before now that the Bond legacy is being eradicated from the Babcock world view.

(Whose name gives me more confidence to get in an aircraft? A boiler engineer or a Lancaster bomber pilot? Ehm ... )