PDA

View Full Version : I heve Caller ID

Rollingthunder
9th Oct 2011, 13:28
and am unlisted/ex-directory. Amazing how many calls I now receive. Didn't answer one from unknown name - Baja, Calfifornia and one from Toll Free Server. Thought I'd save them telephone fees. Call me - I'd better know who you are.

Juud
9th Oct 2011, 13:50

Good idea.

Until the day somebody you love is in an accident and borrows a bystander´s phone to call you.

Mallan
9th Oct 2011, 13:55
I used to have anonymous call rejection but it did not work on overseas callers and cable customers. So I binned it.

Good call Juud.

WingSlinger
9th Oct 2011, 16:28
The purpose of call display it to "screen callers" meaning to recognize who is calling and choose to answer or not.

It goes without saying that if you do not recognize who is calling it should be answered as there are a number of reasons why the call may be important. Juud's reason is of course the most obvious.

stuckgear
9th Oct 2011, 16:32
'heve' caller ID rolling ... You going all Seth Efrican on us ?

:}

603DX
9th Oct 2011, 16:44
I use my answerphone to screen callers. If I'm in, I can hear the start of callers' messages and can then cut in and take the call if I want to. If I'm out, then I get the messages later, obviously.

If people ring off when they get the answerphone invitation to leave a message, then they obviously didn't want me all that much anyway - or were yet another of those #*$&* "cold callers".

timmcat
9th Oct 2011, 16:57
That's uncanny. We had that discussion here an hour ago when I answered yet another 'withheld number' call which was someone trying to sell something (despite us being registered with TPS which is supposed to prevent UK based unsolicited calls). Mrs Timmcat said just the same as 603DX... 'why didn't you just let it go to answerphone? I never answer them'...

UniFoxOs
9th Oct 2011, 17:00
Vulcanised mentioned a device called "Truecall" on another thread here (http://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/425341-cold-callers.html) last August. I thought it looke good so I bought one and we have had virtually no nuisance calls since. Our regular callers are "starred" and come straight through, we can "zap" anybody we don't like and they will never get through, all others get asked their name and the unit asks us if we want to take the call, so it answers Juud's point above.

Wouldn't be without it now.

Cheers
UFO

Capetonian
9th Oct 2011, 17:03
TPS which is supposed to prevent UK based unsolicited calls

There is a neat way to get round this. Someone I know works in a UK based call centre, but the calls are routed via another network to another country which makes them appear to be coming from there. She has to pretend that she is based elsewhere when asked. This is probably illegal and certainly immoral but I wonder how many other companies do the same.

11Fan
9th Oct 2011, 17:37
use my answerphone to screen callers. If I'm in, I can hear the start of callers' messages and can then cut in and take the call if I want to. If I'm out, then I get the messages later, obviously.

Same here as 603DX. On a no-call list, but some get through. If they get regular, answer and tell them to take you off the list. Usually sorted.

YorkshireTyke
9th Oct 2011, 23:13
........all others get asked their name and the unit asks us if we want
to take the call, so it answers Juud's point above.

No, if an accident witness using a strange - to you - name and number calls you, it would depend on your policy towards unknown names / numbers, and if you routinely refuse to take them the kind stranger wouldn't get through, but if you do take unknown numbers why bother ( and maybe pay ? ) for the system anyway, it's just an added bit of useless yuppie technology.

The only advantage of Caller ID - that I don't want and refuse to pay for, but my stupid mobile phone has it as a default, like also being a camera that I don't want - is to recognise my friends and call them by name before they have time to speak ! Otherwise I answer everything and give the bogus callers a flea in their ear. ( Enjoy that, I do, takes years of practice to be a qualified Grumpy Old Man.)

UniFoxOs
10th Oct 2011, 08:06
YT, no, the unit asks the caller for his/her name, then asks them to hold while it tries to connect. It then offers us the call saying "You have a call from Jane Doe, do you wish to accept it?" Providing the caller states a reasonable name ( there is even time for them to say "Jane Doe from Staffordshire ambulance service" or whatever) then we will accept the call.

Computers either don't say anything, in which case the call is rejected by the machine, or occasionally start gabbling straight away and we get offerred a call from "take advantage of this wonderful offer..." and we reject it.

Cheers
UFO