PDA

View Full Version : So, How many believe?

Rollingthunder
9th Oct 2011, 11:40
that the UK is about to be gripped in -20C or so conditions in the next few weeks, per some forecasters?

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/10/08/article-2046766-0C3B79BE000005DC-282_468x286.jpg

London Strategic Salt Reserve - Aye mate, we only use the most modern equipment these days - these shovels are MK4's - Oi, time for tea.

Cacophonix
9th Oct 2011, 11:57
The Met Office will probably make a monkey out of me but...

XfuBREMXxts

Caco

Dan Gerous
9th Oct 2011, 11:59
It must be true, on local radio this week there is someone advertising their wares, (so much for the power of radio advertising, I can't remember what it is they are actually selling), saying that this winter is to worse than the last. Given that they can't even get tommorows weather forecast correct, I'll believe it when I ski it. :p

Capetonian
9th Oct 2011, 12:06
A group of Indians gathered around the chief and asked if they were going to have a cold winter. Being a modern day Indian, and not aware of ancient secrets, the chief had no idea. In order to save face however, he advised the tribe to gather wood and prepare for a cold winter.

A few days later the Indian decides to seek some help from the National Weather Service, and was told by a meteorologist that “indeed they were expecting a cold winter.” The Indian then advised the tribe to gather even more wood.

After a few weeks, the Indian felt like he should check in with the National Weather Service to make sure everything was on course, “Does it still look like a cold winter?” asked the Indian. “It sure does,” said the meteorologist, “in fact, it looks like a VERY cold winter ahead.” The Indian then advised the tribe to gather every piece of scrap wood in sight.

Finally with winter right around the corner, the Indian checked in one more time. “Does it still look like a cold winter,” he asked. “You bet,” said the meteorologist, “in fact, we are expecting one of the coldest winters on record.”

“Really,” said the Indian, “how can you be so sure?”

“Because the Indians are collecting wood like crazy!” said the meteorologist.

Sallyann1234
9th Oct 2011, 12:15
You haven't been reading the Jokes thread recently have you?

Cacophonix
9th Oct 2011, 12:18
It is of course freezing here in the South East. All of twenty one degrees cold. Brrr!

Caco

Flying Serpent
9th Oct 2011, 12:21
Not me...

Sound like the bolleaux that some tin pot forecasters occasionally spout just in order to get a bit of publicity from the less reputable newspapers (read CRAP).

-20C in the next few weeks...ha ha ha ha

Krystal n chips
9th Oct 2011, 12:22
It has to be true ! .....see below !

UK winter weather warning: -20C in weeks as councils stockpile extra grit | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2046766/UK-winter-weather-warning--20C-weeks-councils-stockpile-extra-grit.html)

However, it has to be said that madam's capacity as journalist is akin to her knowledge of basic met. .....limited to minimal to non existent....based on the ahem, "plunging temps" splurge...and the rest of the article....:ugh:

That said, being a cynic one notes that the last year, the conglomerate of faecal matter ( or British Gas "management" if you prefer ) raised the prices in time for...a rather cold winter....and have repeated this again as we know...some call this profiteering..others maximising profits....take your pick. As a barometer of bad weather ahead however, it bears thinking about.

In any event, until London / S.East experience any significant weather, whatever conditions prevail in the rest of the UK will only get a passing mention. You can also bet that, whatever extra measures...love that term...cough !....have been put in place, the UK will duly grind to a halt irrespective.

ZH875
9th Oct 2011, 13:33
It is going to be a very bad winter.

Upwards of THREE snowflakes are expected to fall on London in the space of a few weeks.

Nemrytter
9th Oct 2011, 13:55
Have you actually seen where these forecasts are coming from? It's some kook who doesn't really have a clue. I remember a thread on here a while back that mentioned his summer predictions - they turned out to be completely wrong and, strangely, those predictions have now disappeared from his website.:E

merlinxx
9th Oct 2011, 14:15
Well living on top of the North Downs & being cut off for :mad:9.5 days in total over the last 20 months, I'm stocking up on loads of fall over juice already. Cragganmore, Calva, Angostura 1919 rum, etc etc :ok:

Storminnorm
9th Oct 2011, 14:20
Bl**dy Daily Wail tossers causing Doom & Gloom again!!!

I'm looking forward to the New Ice Age. Lots of winter sports!!!

I won several GOLD medals in the "Falling Over" events last time!!!

ONE GREEN AND HOPING
9th Oct 2011, 14:34
Apart from temporary postings away, the first 34 years of my Airline career was based at London's LHR and LGW (1964-1998 ). Every dusting of snow and ice seemed to outwit those who held sway over hard-stressed operators trying to make ends meet, and move their passengers and freight.

It occurs to me that in consideration of the current cut-backs affecting our UK armed services, now is an opportunity to acquire a bunch of experienced Flight Sergeants and Petty Officers to run everything air-side, thus leaving the others to run the shopping and car parking.

crippen
9th Oct 2011, 14:36
quote :-
experienced Flight Sergeants and Petty Officers to run everything air-side,

That would be real fun to watch!!:E

racedo
9th Oct 2011, 17:04
It is of course freezing here in the South East. All of twenty one degrees cold. Brrr!

Yup it really was an awfully cold day walking with the kids this afternoon.:ok:

Mechta
9th Oct 2011, 17:41
Have you actually seen where these forecasts are coming from? It's some kook who doesn't really have a clue.

Probably 'the kook' has a gas-guzzling 4x4 to get rid of, and is trying to bump its worth up above scrap value.

pigboat
9th Oct 2011, 20:13
Capetonian, three years ago the weather gurus called for a severe winter. I heat mainly with firewood, so instead of the usual 8, I ordered 12 cords. A couple of weeks later I was chatting with a native friend who coincidentally has the locker next to mine at the local curling club, and mentioned that fact. One night shortly after that after a curling game, a player from another team, a snarky pr1ck, asked Charlie if it was true that Indians could tell if it would be a hard winter or not. Charlie mumbled something in Montagnais, and the other player asked him what he'd said. He said "I said, it's going to be a cold winter for damn sure, pigboat ordered 12 cords of wood."

ChristiaanJ
9th Oct 2011, 22:47
Well.....
S. of France here.
A hedgehog just walked into my 'office' (downstairs 'den', or whatever you want to call it) from the garden and, after emptying the cat's bowl of nibbles, settled down among the odds and sods and papers and boxes in the back of the room.
Seems a bit early to start hibernating, but maybe he already knows something I don't?

CJ

er340790
10th Oct 2011, 01:13
7 pm last night in northern Canada.... +25c. Had the aircon on all night.

cavortingcheetah
10th Oct 2011, 01:18
I do believe that it'll be the wrong kind of snow.

pigboat
10th Oct 2011, 01:25
7 pm last night in northern Canada.... +25c

You in Timmins or Val d'Or? ;)

alisoncc
10th Oct 2011, 07:05
Someut's up. Down here in Oz only seven weeks to the start of Summer and I've been running the heating all day. I think we've had a top of just 12 deg C today. Bit parky to say the least.

visibility3miles
10th Oct 2011, 07:55
One theory has it that global warming will dump so much cold water from melting ice caps and glaciers that it will disrupt and change the ocean currents.

Without the Gulf stream bringing England warm water from the Gulf of Mexico, it could get very chilly in jolly old England!

Vercingetorix
10th Oct 2011, 08:10
It has snowed in Ayrshire:{

Buster Hyman
10th Oct 2011, 08:28
Bah! Storm in a tea cup....:*

jindabyne
10th Oct 2011, 08:32
The entire country will be immersed in s*** over the winter - and it won't be called snow :(

hellsbrink
10th Oct 2011, 19:08
One theory has it that global warming will dump so much cold water from melting ice caps and glaciers that it will disrupt and change the ocean currents.

Except the most reasonable theory has nothing to do with "global warming" but everything to do with solar activity, which has just reached the "minimum" level of the 11-year cycle. That means that the winds the UK and Western Europe get from the gulf stream, which warm things up a bit in winter by keeping the colder air from the east at bay, are also at a low point and that will allow the cold air, and associated snow/ice/etc, to flow in from the east and mean that things will get very chilly indeed.

It's all about the UV light from the sun, and when the sun is at a "low" point in it's cycle there is less UV, and the differences are greater than originally thought. The effect from this is weaker winds from the wet, etc, etc, etc. This has been figured out using the SORCE satellite and the study has just been published.

Of course, none of this is in any of the "doom and gloom" climate change computer models so that means, yet again, the "models" which the tree-huggers and warmistas claim to be "solid" science, the "science" by which governments are taxing your asses off because of "Climate Change", are even more flawed than we already know.............

uffington sb
10th Oct 2011, 19:25
So this stories been in the Daily Wail and Express.
What I would like to know is how will the cold spell affect house prices??

hellsbrink
11th Oct 2011, 03:55
you'll find it here too, uffington

Solar forcing of winter climate variability in the Northern Hemisphere : Nature Geoscience : Nature Publishing Group (http://www.nature.com/ngeo/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/ngeo1282.html)

It was in the express too? Did they wonder what Diana would think about this?

Hokulea
11th Oct 2011, 07:55
Except the most reasonable theory has nothing to do with "global warming" but everything to do with solar activity, which has just reached the "minimum" level of the 11-year cycle.I was under the impression that we're now well beyond the solar minimum and on the way to the next maximum, sometime in the first half of 2013.

Storminnorm
11th Oct 2011, 10:11
I'll wait a while before I get the Solar Panels fitted then.

stuckgear
11th Oct 2011, 10:20
I would norm... you'd be better off throwing into a ground source heat pump. ;)

BillHicksRules
11th Oct 2011, 10:30
Hokulea,

Exactly.:ok:

hellsbrink
11th Oct 2011, 16:04
I was under the impression that we're now well beyond the solar minimum and on the way to the next maximum, sometime in the first half of 2013.

I wouldn't say "well beyond" the minimum, it was only 2 years ago and the predicted "maximum" is in 2013/2014.

Oh, it was my mistyping that caused the confusion, I meant to say we emerging from the "low".

corsair
11th Oct 2011, 17:18
Well after last Winter virtually everyone I know including me are preparing for another bad one. No need to read the papers. Plus after the Summer we had it would be wise to assume that we won't be basking in glorious sunshine and balmy breezes from November onwards. This has now been confirmed by some proper scientific evidence. Not just scare stories in certain newspapers.

A few more bad winters and the purveyors of man made climate change will have a hard time convincing people it's real.:D

hellsbrink
11th Oct 2011, 17:22
Not really, corsair, there are too many sheeple out there nowadays with short memories so they cannot remember the harsh winters we have had in my 40-something year lifetime.

Oh, i also remember the "not so harsh" ones too, btw, as well as good and bad summers (think '76)

stuckgear
11th Oct 2011, 19:02
good and bad summers (think '76)

1976 number 1's include...

"Combine Harvester (Brand New Key) " - The Wurzels
"Under the Moon of Love" - Showaddywaddy
"Save Your Kisses for Me" - Brotherhood of Man
"The Roussos Phenomenon EP" - Demis Roussos

on the plus side.. Chicago, ABBA, Queen, The Four Season and Elton John & Kiki Dee had number 1's too, so not all bad.

ArthurR
11th Oct 2011, 19:16
Humpty Dumpty had a really bad summer, but he had a great fall.

tony draper
11th Oct 2011, 19:49
I think 78 was the last proper summer I remember,summers like they were when I were a wee sprog.
I remember this song from that red hot summer I could be wrong though it may have been 76.
hV10X3yqY0c

hellsbrink
11th Oct 2011, 20:35
'76 sure as hell wasn't a good summer. When the mains water gets turned off to houses in SCOTLAND, meaning everyone has to get water from a stand pipe, then you know you have a drought.........

G-CPTN
11th Oct 2011, 20:43
1976 United Kingdom heat wave - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_United_Kingdom_heat_wave)