PDA

View Full Version : Avast ye porridge lovers...

Cacophonix
9th Oct 2011, 10:16
I have perforce, on the advice of my doctor, become more of a porridge lover than of yore (anybody remember the gruesome Jungle Oats?).

In truth well cooked oats with a dash of maple syrup are a wonder to behold and eat. I am just about to tuck into a bowl cooked lovingly for me by Madame Cacophonix.

Still I perceive that cooking oats is a black art that would put Macbeth's witches to shame as evidenced by the battle for the Golden Spurtle or, more simply, the world Porridge Making Championships held, appropriately, in bonnie Scotland.

18th Annual Golden Spurtle (http://www.goldenspurtle.com/)

What dark skills can PPRuNer's add to this pot or do oats leave you, like the Jungle variety, cold?

Caco

http://www.globalpackagegallery.com/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=39394&g2_serialNumber=2

McGoonagall
9th Oct 2011, 10:24
This may give you a few tips.

Bonjuk Korean Traditional Porridge Restaurant Menu - Flushing, NY 11354 - (718) 939-5868 (http://www.allmenus.com/ny/queens/121319-bonjuk-korean-traditional-porridge-restaurant/menu/)

Mmmmmmm...

Cacophonix
9th Oct 2011, 10:40
A Korean, porridge restaurant in NY with every dish porridge oriented. Intriguing!:ok:

Caco

sirwa69
9th Oct 2011, 10:41
Good old Scotts porridge oats 275ml boiling water (not milk) add 40g oats bring to the boil and simmer for 6 minutes, lovely, but if you want to make it wonderful then, here's the trick, put 1 beef oxo cube into the boiling water and make sure its fully dissolved before adding the oats, yummy.

Don't knock it till ye try it, you'll be surprised.

BTW Heston puts chicken stock into his snail porridge, which is where I got the idea from.

Checkboard
9th Oct 2011, 10:58
Do you use oats which have been steam-kilned, then rolled flat and packaged as "quick oats/one minute porridge" or similar?

Or do you make REAL porridge, beginning from scratch with untreated oatmeal - oat grains which have been simply cracked, into pinhead, course, medium or fine grain groats?

Cacophonix
9th Oct 2011, 11:04
Or do you make REAL porridge, beginning from scratch with untreated oatmeal - oat grains which have been simply cracked, into pinhead, course, medium or fine grain groats?

The former, sadly, although I have eaten the real stuff.

I suspect the time taken to actually make oats might actually be as good for the health as eating the cereal. I am genuinely surprised how good even some of the pre-packaged stuff is.

I have become a porridge convert.

Caco

Tarq57
9th Oct 2011, 11:19
Porridge made with oats is excellent. The less processed, the better, though any porridge is good.

Oats have to be one of the best grain-based sources of low GI nutrition out there. Oat bran also has the benefit of reducing cholesterol, though possibly not the way I serve them...

I use 1-2 tablespoons oatmeal (groats - coarse), 1-2 tablespoons coarse rolled oats, 1 tablespoon oat bran, some salt, and soak overnight. (grains tend to have something in 'em called phytates. Unsure of all the chemistry, but phytates inhibit absorption of minerals in the digestive tract. Soaking overnight eliminates these. Simply cooking un-soaked doesn't.)

Cook 10-20 min on low, stirring fairly often, stand for a couple of minutes, and serve with Blue Borage honey and fresh cream. Yum.

Storminnorm
9th Oct 2011, 12:25
I prefer my porridge with a bit of milk and a spoonful of sugar.

My Dad used to make them like that. Delicious.
Made winter mornings up North bearable.
Used to set off for school "glowing".

Solid Rust Twotter
9th Oct 2011, 12:29
Good quality pinhead and rolled oats made with 50/50 water and milk for a creamy consistency. Serve with a topping made from chopped apple, raisins, cinnamon and brown sugar fried and simmered in butter. Add a dash of whisky and cream to finish and serve hot.

Can't beat it for a winter brekkie with a thick slice of fried haggis and a pint of dark ale.

Cacophonix
9th Oct 2011, 12:29
of milk and a spoonful of sugar.

"Milk, heaven forfend man, look at the fat content. Sugar, ach, spawn of Beezlebub's bottom, it is bad for one" - said to me by my doctor after noticing a slight rise in my cholestrol level.

So porridge without milk or sugar for me... :sad:

Hell's teeth, isn't getting older a pain in the sporran!

Caco

Edited to say - don't tell him about the drip of maple syrup! :O

Solid Rust Twotter
9th Oct 2011, 12:46
There's an easy fix. Find a doctor not so far up his own bottom.

Lon More
9th Oct 2011, 12:48
Best way to start any morning, getting your oats but all this sugar, salt and maple syrup is making a mess of the sheets

ENFP
9th Oct 2011, 12:58
I must be very very old school, but a jock, from a pure Jockanese family none the less. The only way to eat Porridge (and Scots Porridge Oats are excellent) is with salt and milk. You can't beat it, and forget all the crap about high blood pressure and salt, I have never had it. Life is a terminal disease :) Enjoy the porridge the way Rab Burns did!

RedhillPhil
9th Oct 2011, 13:01
Scot's "Old fashioned" in the yellow box. 1 small cupfull of oats, 2.5 cupfulls of water, nuke it for 3 minutes. Add salt and honey to taste with some cold milk. Does me in the winter.

Cacophonix
9th Oct 2011, 13:02
making a mess of the sheets

Gives a whole new take on the Spurtle award! :ouch:

Haggis, kilt, exeunt...

Caco

scotbill
9th Oct 2011, 13:11
Redhillphil has reminded me of the American good old boy who claimed, "My wife calls me Porridge Oats. Three and a half minutes and I'm done!"

Rollingthunder
9th Oct 2011, 13:11
Steel rolled oats - cooked in traditional manner - bit 'o salt and water.

Place portion in bowl

Add some cream

And 8 Smarties (8 - not 7 - not 9)

Wait one, then mix

Pot of strongggg tea

Sallyann1234
9th Oct 2011, 13:13
Not being the best of sailors I wasn't looking forward to a trip into the North Sea on a rig service vessel in rough weather. Usually on boat trips I end up chucking my breakfast over the side.
I mentioned this to an old hand and he advised me to try filling up before the trip with a meal of thick, stodgy porridge. It worked! Fortunately the return trip was by helo so I didn't get the opportunity to test it a second time.

Wholigan
9th Oct 2011, 13:22
I add a chopped banana to mine. That provides the sweetness, so no sugar. The banana also provides instant release energy and the porridge provides slow release energy.

tony draper
9th Oct 2011, 13:30
Cream of the milk four spoonfulls of of sugar and a big dollop of golden syrup.
One has a sweet tooth.
PS, before anybody suggests otherwise I still have near all of my chompers no plastic ones or fillings, couple of the big back ones have gone adrift one dont miss em.
:)

TBirdFrank
9th Oct 2011, 14:35
Home :

water - salt - milk - oats - any one of Lyle's syrup, Maple Syrup or honey - clotted cream, and then stay away from anyone medical for a while.

Cunard - additions are raisins, maple syrup and cream - interesting and never missed a morning!

The Hilton, Blackpool : additions included a bottle of Grouse standing by the porridge pot -

Feeling hungry now!

crippen
9th Oct 2011, 15:43
Try porridge with Black Treacle. Just one spoonful and it comes out Army Khaki colour!:ok:

NWSRG
9th Oct 2011, 16:33
Milk (semi-skimmed works just fine), bubble with a heap of oats for about 3-4 mins on high heat, til thick. Then stir in some honey, and if feeling indulgent, a little Drambuie.

Dog likes it too!

Cheerio
9th Oct 2011, 17:41
At home, every weekday breakfast for me is a bowl of microwaved Scotts Porage Oats with salt and sultanas added after cooking, topped off with a splash of cold milk. Gold top would be lovely. :ok:

Weekends, its a boiled egg and thinly spread buttery Marmite soldiers.

RedhillPhil
9th Oct 2011, 17:42
Redhillphil has reminded me of the American good old boy who claimed, "My wife calls me Porridge Oats. Three and a half minutes and I'm done!"

If at a dance I always mention that my favourite dance is the "Quaker".
Twice around the floor and outside for me oats, boom-boom!:ok: