View Full Version : Legal advice for USA work Visa.

Cactus225
8th Oct 2011, 06:59
Hey all,

Not sure if I am asking this question under the right forum. But hopefully you guys have an answer for me.

I am about to be married to my girl friend who is a permanent citizen of USA. She wants us to live in the states after the marriage. Problem is.. I am not sure if I would be able to find a job as a pilot there.

The way I see it- I wont get a green card right away. Even she is still working on the work Visa. Not a green card. So would I be able to find work in the states as her husband?

Cause I dont wanna move there just to warm the couch. I'd rather ask her to move out of USA if this aint happening.

Any advice?

Gomrath
8th Oct 2011, 16:14
Hi,
We can't offer you legal advice - only suggestions... If you want legal advice - go pay an Immigration Attorney.

who is a permanent citizen of USA

There is no such thing. Either she is a US Citizen or she is a Permanent Resident who holds a Green Card. Or as seems more likely she has a visa to enter the US based on this comment:

Even she is still working on the work Visa. Not a green card. So would I be able to find work in the states as her husband?
but that does not make her a Permanent Resident.

So after your marriage you have no right to work in the US simply because she holds a visa. You may be able to live in the US after obtaining the appropriate spouse visa (which will have an expiry date associated with it) but until your wife has completed Labor Certification towards her Green Card you would not be able to work.

You need to provide more information to get a better answer - such as what visa does she have that allows her to work in the US - is it a L1 or H1B etc.
Was that visa sponsored by a US employer etc. If so, she is tied to that employer for the duration of her visa etc.
Has she actually commenced her Green Card process etc.

Cactus225
10th Oct 2011, 07:08
Yes Sir,

Guess you are right- think I need to consult a lawyer about this.

Too confusing and fruitless without any real legal input.

Thanks for your help though,

Regards.