PDA

View Full Version : Boeing 717 - European Start-up!

thehighflyer
7th Oct 2011, 13:23
I hear on the grapevine that a "European start-up" will be using B717's!

Does anyone have any idea: who, where, when?

ETOPS
7th Oct 2011, 16:48
A-ha :ok: Fastjet.............or maybe not :zzz:

OPEN DES
7th Oct 2011, 18:42
COOL aircraft! I'll go and fly it if they pay me the same money as I'm getting now!

captplaystation
7th Oct 2011, 19:56
Cool looking on the outside, but. . . the cockpit (even on a jurassic DC9 without a big centre panel between the drivers) makes a 737 seem roomy, and if you ever have occasion to look inside an MD/717 with the HUD installed (as I saw once on an Alitalia aircraft) it would be generous to describe it as claustrophobic. Still, I am sure it is a joy to fly, probably goes rather well too, but lets see the T's & C's before we get too ecstatic. . . anyhow, just a Friday rumour for the mo.

v1.
7th Oct 2011, 20:32
Is the 717 currently operated in europe by anyone, it seems its not very popular this side of the pond, why is this?

Dani
7th Oct 2011, 20:40
Captainplaystation, are you sure you not confusing the cockpit of a 717 with the one of a MD90? Totally different. Looks at least as modern as a 737NG - not that I find this very stylish, but yes, modern in a way. I found the 717 the best Boeing ever built...

Dr Esteban
7th Oct 2011, 21:25
Blue1 (Finland) - only current European operator
AeBal (Spain) - until recently

drag king
7th Oct 2011, 21:37
Is the 717 currently operated in europe by anyone, it seems its not very popular this side of the pond, why is this?

What about SPANAIR (http://portal.spanair.com/web/en-gb/About-Spanair/Spanair-Fleet/)?

as I saw once on an Alitalia aircraft

AZ has never operated a single 717. Ole DC9 perhaps, not sure about the HUD though...

captplaystation
8th Oct 2011, 08:51
drag king & Dani, think you are missing my point entirely. If you re-read my post you will see I was discussing the cramped little space you, as a driver, have available on a 717/MD80/DC9. As far as I can tell they never changed the super aerodynamic/beautifully finished nose on this aircraft, so the interior space for operators remains the same (cramped & compromised, even for a shorty like me, & even more so with a HUD. )

Best foot forward
9th Oct 2011, 17:01
I found the 717 the best Boeing ever built...

Is that because it was developed by MD.

Wind Shear Ahead
10th Oct 2011, 02:00
Drag King...

Spanairīs all four B717 gone to Blue 1 months ago...

Rumour has it the new B717 start up will take place in Spain

judge11
10th Oct 2011, 09:40
'Rumour has it the new B717 start up will be take place in Spain'

Perfect - someone's clearly got their finger on the country's fading economic pulse. Either that or they know something the rest of us don't - best tell the IMF and ECB PDQ.;)

oscar717
1st Nov 2011, 18:18
Any news are welcome

BigNumber
1st Nov 2011, 21:43
I would understand 6 aircraft ordered for new operation based in Riga? Break away management from Air Baltic perhaps?

Funding in place but awaiting AOC issue; recruitment to start within a month.

Mister Geezer
2nd Nov 2011, 19:58
'Rumour has it the new B717 start up will be take place in Spain'

Nail on the head there! That is exactly what I was told by someone who is chasing after a job there.

captplaystation
2nd Nov 2011, 20:29
I have VERY good reason to know that Riga is not so close to Spain, so sumfin ain't right here :=

Wizofoz
4th Nov 2011, 17:38
Iwould understand 6 aircraft ordered for new operation based in Riga?

Ordered from Whom? The aircraft hasn't been in production for five years!

grounded27
4th Nov 2011, 18:24

My guess is that plenty of B717's will be hitting the boneyards after the SWA / Airtran merger/buyout here in the USA with the 737 one fleet mentality of SWA. They will become popular if the price is right for smaller operators!

zondaracer
10th Jan 2012, 13:20
The company is called Volotea. They will operate out to smaller underserved cities in Spain. We will see how well that works out. Regional startups in Spain havenīt been very successful. Not to mention there are about 5 or 6 ghost airports in Spain (Ciudad Real, Huesca-Pirineos, Lleida-Alguaire, Castellon-Costa Azahar, Seu dīUrgell, and we will see what happens with the Murcia airport once the new one is constructed)

Volotea (http://www.volotea.com/)
not much to see there

The airlineīs founder is the founder of Vueling and the president will be Continentalīs former president, Greg Brenneman

Chidken Sangwich
10th Jan 2012, 14:48

Because its a glorified DC9.

Groundloop
11th Jan 2012, 08:31
It's not because it's a "glorified DC-9" (it isn't) it's because there are not many of them around - and hence suffer from a lack of commonality/spares etc.

captplaystation
13th Jan 2012, 20:40
Still waiting the job in Riga :hmm: & a reply by PM from the one who posted that "story".

grounded27
14th Jan 2012, 03:57
It's not because it's a "glorified DC-9" (it isn't) it's because there are not many of them around - and hence suffer from a lack of commonality/spares etc.

The MD-95 is a great aircraft. Boeing called it the B717 and shut down production, not allowing it's customers a future for growth (320/737ng). It has no sister ships with larger or shorter fuselages to compete in different markets and as a result and also falls short on Boeing support.

None the less as airlines who have operated this aircraft in bulk over the last decade are replacing them with a more streamlined fleet, it is probably a good low cost, efficient buy for the low cost start up. It has been bread and butter for the old Value Jet now known respectfully as Air Tran, an un precedented rebound!

ZFT
14th Jan 2012, 08:40
None the less as airlines who have operated this aircraft in bulk over the last decade are replacing them with a more streamlined fleet, it is probably a good low cost, efficient buy for the low cost start up. It has been bread and butter for the old Value Jet now known respectfully as Air Tran, an un precedented rebound!

Might work in the USA but how can a European carrier train their crews and keep them current?

Costly if the only training available is in USA (The Saudia aircraft/sims are unique IIRC)

captplaystation
24th Jan 2012, 08:08
Jobs finally advertised on latestpilotjobs.com via an agency/c.v. collector. Proceed with caution but not too much expectation.

Talkdownman
26th Jan 2012, 19:31
Nah.
The original Boeing 717 was derived from the Boeing 367-80 and became the Boeing C-135 Stratolifter...

11Fan
26th Jan 2012, 21:50
Thread drift. This was taken at Boeing Field a year or two before the 787 was flying.

From left to right; 777, 767, 757, 747, 737, 727, 717, 707.

http://www.flightglobal.com/assets/getasset.aspx?itemid=18420

captplaystation
28th Jan 2012, 13:47
If it is a common type rating (?) with the "Mad Dog" they should find plenty local crew if the job really exists.:rolleyes:

jabird
28th Jan 2012, 23:46
Lleida-Alguaire

Not quite a ghost airport - gets some ski charters in winter, and a couple of domestic routes.

But there are reasons why the others aren't well served - if a 73x / A32x operator hasn't made it work, and the E-jets and turboprops aren't viable either, why would these routes work with a 717?