PDA

View Full Version : JQ full of lies once again

joker.jq
6th Oct 2011, 16:40
Nice try Buchanan, 65 of the people who went over were from QF (on original JQ contract). Only 6 accepted part time contracts with a sunny Darwin undertone... Good luck with the rest.

JETSTAR is on the hunt for pilots for its new Japanese joint-venture after its previous foray into the job market attracted almost four applicants for each job.
The airline advertised for 150 pilots six weeks ago and received about 550 applications, including a record 156 from Qantas.
"That's well and truly in train and now we're looking for Japan for the first time," Jetstar chief executive Bruce Buchanan said yesterday.
"We're looking to recruit about 100 pilots in Japan over the next 12 to 18 months. That's in addition to the 150 that we were looking for previously."
Mr Buchanan said the airline had already filled about 70 of the 150 roles, a good outcome because of time needed to get pilots through the assessment process.
"That's going really well, we're very happy with all of that," he said.
Mr Buchanan said about 50 pilots would move across from Qantas and he expected a good response from Qantas and Jetstar pilots for the new Japanese roles.
He said the airline had been spending time with Japanese authorities getting a licensing approach approved and had been recruiting Japanese pilots for the past two years "ahead of the curve" so they could get line experience before moving back into Japan.
Commenting on the predictions by aircraft manufacturers of a looming pilot shortage, Mr Buchanan said he was confident the airline's recruiting pipeline could fulfil demand over the short to medium term.
"Over the next 12 months I don't see any problems, but beyond that it's always tough to forecast," he said. "What we're seeing at the moment, with the weakness in Europe and the US, is an awful lot of pilots applying out of those jurisdictions.
"We're not having a lot of problems attracting pilots."
He agreed that the market would tighten but noted turnover had been small.

Capt Kremin
6th Oct 2011, 21:03
hmmm, apparently an Expression of Interest is now a full application? How can you tell these Execs are lying? A. Their mouths are open.

On the subject of lying. Can anyone comment on JQ's stated policy that they don't carry pets because " the holds are unpressurized ".

Condition lever
6th Oct 2011, 21:49
Where exactly did you find a "stated" policy to that effect???
Like all Airbus the holds are pressurised... a quick common sense check would have dismissed that assertion if you had bothered to think about it.:ugh:

jas24zzk
6th Oct 2011, 22:07
This page here,
its right down the bottom in the RH corner

Checked Baggage, Luggage Allowances and Restrictions | Jetstar Australia (http://www.jetstar.com/au/en/planning-and-booking/baggage/checked-baggage)

apache
6th Oct 2011, 22:08
JQ website

Checked Baggage, Luggage Allowances and Restrictions | Jetstar Australia (http://www.jetstar.com/au/en/planning-and-booking/baggage/checked-baggage)

As we don’t have pressurised baggage holds, unfortunately we are unable to accept reservations for pets on any of our aircraft.

a quick common sense check would have dismissed that assertion if you had bothered to think about it.

methinks you owe an apology. Common sense and JQ don't exactly go hand in hand.

Condition lever
6th Oct 2011, 22:12
The holds are pressurised.
Again let common sense prevail....

waren9
6th Oct 2011, 22:15
I think Kremin already knew that.

Fibs about pilot application numbers is nothing new. They have said that about the NZ operation from the start. Which is why no Australian pilots have to go there to help and they dont have to offer sign on and retention incentives either.

This mindset also helps to explain the recent memo rejoicing in the increased number of OSCARs lately. Apparently its down to a greatly increased reporting rate. Nothing at all to do with the operation getting bigger and having more incidents.

Well done the Safety Committee. Back slaps and KPIs all round.

:rolleyes:

404 Titan
6th Oct 2011, 22:28
apache

I don’t work for JQ but I can assure you that the cargo holds are pressurised. The web site is wrong. If they weren’t the pax floor would collapse into the cargo hold. What may be the case is the cargo holds may not be heated. I’m sure though that a JQ driver will be able to tell us whether JQ A320/330’s have cargo/bulk cargo heating.

Mafortion
6th Oct 2011, 22:33
The 330's would have bulk heating, because Qantas' does and that is where Jetstar's came from.... Unless they don't use them in some sort of inane cost-cutting measure.

Capt Kremin
6th Oct 2011, 22:59
You can give me that apology any time you like CL.

What this highlights is the attitude towards the paying public. Contempt.

They could have said something along the lines of; "We try to keep costs to a minimum therefore we don't carry pets..." you know... that little forgotten thing called The Truth.

But no, this outfit figures that the general public will swallow a LIE like this and save them the hassle of explaining that they probably couldn't get Qantas personnel to look after pets, lets face it with a employee to aircraft ratio better than Southwest Airlines there is no fat to spare unless big brother QF chips in for free... and hence they'd rather not carry them.

So they LIE. A simple LIE but an unqualified LIE nevertheless. It is not about no heating or anything like that...no... Joe Public simply needs to be told the BS that they fly airbus's with unpressurised holds.

It is not a grand LIE in the scheme of things really. Just a convenient LIE. Nobody really hurt.

However;

I know how I feel about people I catch out in a LIE.... I never trust them again. Businesses are the same. Someone should tell Buchanan that

The business that is Jetstar LIES when it suits them. End of story.

Keg
6th Oct 2011, 23:18
The holds are pressurised.
Again let common sense prevail....

Yes. Let's. What common sense purpose does it serve to have something like that on the web site when it's patently not true?

KRUSTY 34
6th Oct 2011, 23:33
Some years ago the Mayor of New York introduced zero tolerance policeing. Police were instructed to issue tickets and pursue individuals for even the most trivial of infractions. Littering, jaywalking etc....

What happened was interesting to say the least. Many "trivial" offenders were found to have outstanding warrants for more serious crimes. This indicated a pattern of dishonest behavior in general, and in many cases an entrenched disregard for the moral and legal responsibilities that most if us adhere to.

What else are the bastards guilty of? personally I trust them as far as I could throw them.

waren9
6th Oct 2011, 23:42
Most of the employees in Bourke St have no front line operational experience. Including management, and therefore not much clue. It is these employees that are tasked with the drawing up and implementation of the endless "policies" we see promulgated around here.

I think this is the reason for the inaccuracy in this case. The deliberate attempt at BS'ing with the OSCARs memo is another matter altogether.

Capt Kremin
7th Oct 2011, 00:27
Sorry Waren, the website is unequivocal. "none of our aircraft are pressurised" is a black and white statement. The staff could easily verify the statement with one phone call to the chief pilot.

Some Exec is responsible for what goes on that web page. The policy is "no pets" for whatever reason, probably costs. they don't want to admit that, so the BS goes up in place. The organization has history.

outside limits
7th Oct 2011, 00:35
Alteon in Brisbane were asked yesterday to provide A320 sim instructors to go to Tokyo to commence endorsement training for pilots from December. They will use ANA simulators.

tarmac12
7th Oct 2011, 01:23
I cant see how Jetstar's boss can say that alot of QF drivers are wanting to work in Japan when on the Ad I saw this morning it stated you needed a Japanese ATPL and the right to live and work in Japan. That would exclude almost everyone in the world except people already flying for a company in Japan. Why would they switch?

Capt Kremin
7th Oct 2011, 01:28
Very good questions. I don't know of a single QF guy who has expressed any interest.

anonymouspilot
7th Oct 2011, 01:31
Makes you wonder why they even bother advertising here....I haven't seen too many Japanese expats flying around Aus.

TAC inop.
7th Oct 2011, 01:37
mmmm, where did it say 'JACAB' and 'Right to live and work'?

TAC inop.
7th Oct 2011, 01:39
They are dreamin' if they are paying USD or AUD in the strongest and most expensive economy in the world.

dogsfatass
7th Oct 2011, 01:44
Quote:

He said the airline had been spending time with Japanese authorities getting a licensing approach approved and had been recruiting Japanese pilots for the past two years "ahead of the curve" so they could get line experience before moving back into Japan.

?? The only Japanese pilots in the system are the ones at 3K. And I can tell you that the majority (in fact every single one of them I have flown with) have absolutely no intention of returning to Japan. They're quite happy in SIN on a lower tax rate.

And I'm suuuurrrre QF guys are just climbing over themselves to go and take a ****ty job with ****ty pay and live in a ****ty little apartment near NRT or HND (excluding a few that might want a management title. And good luck to you dealing with that mob up there).

I simply cannot believe the garbage that comes from this man's mouth.

TAC inop.
7th Oct 2011, 01:58
Where's your link, Dog?....I cant find it
....it would be a fantastic spin, I'm sure.

MACH082
7th Oct 2011, 02:40
Is this guy a pathological liar?

I remember watching the senate enquiry and even Alan Joyce had to step in and pull the reins on him a couple of times. That is saying something. After all, this is the guy who calls his frontline staff rouge kamikazes. To even suggest this after the events of 9/11 yet alone the events of WW2 is deplorable.

I'm aghast we can have men like these in charge of an Australian airline. Whatever happened to men like Howard Hughes? Reg Ansett? Jaun Trippe? Visionaries passionate about aviation. Not bean counters trying to make a name for themselves.

A classic example of his contempt for moral behaviour or corporate ethics is his interlude under the covers a while back. Surely this is a case of him believing he is above the standards required of other employees? I believe a flight attendant was sacked for the same thing!

Then management crying about mainline not returning cost of capital News flash retards, aviation never has! This is the industry Qantas is in. If you want better returns for your five billion dollars, go dig a hole in the Pilbara and shut the airline down. Simple.

Aviation loses money, but the flow on effects and the industries it supports are where the true value lies.

dogsfatass
7th Oct 2011, 03:16
Jetstar hunts pilots for Japanese joint-venture | The Australian (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/aviation/jetstar-hunts-pilots-for-japanese-joint-venture/story-e6frg95x-1226160613217)

Just look at the head on it.

Makes me cringe.

TAC inop.
7th Oct 2011, 03:41
Thanks Dog....funny stuff
Maybe they'll just employ some of the 2,000 JAL pilots the retrenched in the last 12 months
Odd ....real odd
We cant touch this with J* current wage structure, unless you're keen on rice and a little rat meat, and sleeping in the train station.

TAC inop.
7th Oct 2011, 03:45
....and, the last time I saw a head like that, it had a hook in it !

Anthill
7th Oct 2011, 03:50
JCAB licence involved about 6 months of ground school...:eek:

TAC inop.
7th Oct 2011, 03:54
...on a J* training wage?
Hahahaha
.......how much would they charge the pilots for that!....Salary sacrifice in the true sense :rolleyes:

tarmac12
7th Oct 2011, 04:10
Tac inop,

If you look on the Careers section of the Jetstar website it is very specific that you must have those 2 criteria.

Angle of Attack
7th Oct 2011, 04:43
Wow it is a real pain in the you know where to go through the red tape of a JCAB ATPL, plus the japanese medical is a nightmare in itself, you would need a few months minimum just to get the theory out of the way let alone the line training. Wonder if they will pay more than the Air Japan contracts? somehow I doubt it!

TAC inop.
7th Oct 2011, 06:21
...oh yup, I see it now, thanks 'mac.

So, why even bother to fish in Australian waters then? ( no real pun intended)
Some Aussies have had a JCAB...but not the right to full Japanese residency.
To satisfy those 2 criteria...you'd have to had worked there before...and be married to a Japanese.....or be Japanese.
...Dunno about you lot, but I dunno anyone with those 2 under their belt.
So, why the hell advertise here?
....maybe its to state that they tried everyone in Oz first, but we didn't make the 'stringent selection criteria blah blah spin something something Dark Side'.
Who cares anyway, it wont pay enough for those comming from offshore.
:ugh:

Fruet Mich
7th Oct 2011, 06:28
These clowns have been given the keys to daddy's car, they're going to roll bowl and ass hole it, run the tank empty and sadly they will give it back to dad f&@$ed with no gas. Very sad. I see they are taking over more of Qantas premium money making routes in the shape of most of the Tasman Queenstown flying.

What ever this BB is smoking, I'd like some! He still can't get crew for his ****ty conditions in NZ and cancels flights regularly.

Tell em he's dreaming

aussie027
7th Oct 2011, 06:28
They are taking apps for "Aust/NZ Sing and Vietnam" too.

So what is the real deal, are they actually looking for Aust based crews on Aust EBA and if so what base do the new recruits go to??? Is it Darwin for everyone or do you get a choice if there are spots open other places??

ohallen
7th Oct 2011, 07:15
Seems like they have no real idea where they are going and just jumping from place to place until they run out of options.

Many of those options seem to be appearing with little if any due diligence or commercial assessment other than driving down costs.

This is going to end badly, the only question is how badly.

SOPS
7th Oct 2011, 07:25
Does BB actually understand (or care) that a pilot just cant go to Japan and start flying around, it is a long and complicated process, and as someone else mentioned, what about the right to live and work there in the first place?

I think AJ and BB are way out of thier depth here.

MACH082
7th Oct 2011, 07:47
I can see the Japanese queuing up to work for the Gweilos .....

KRUSTY 34
7th Oct 2011, 07:48
So let me get this straight. They are about to expand? Hello! Is that right?

Could've fooled me.

gobbledock
7th Oct 2011, 08:10
Most of the employees in Bourke St have no front line operational experience. Including management, and therefore not much clue. It is these employees that are tasked with the drawing up and implementation of the endless "policies" we see promulgated around here.
Warren9 spot on the money! The last 5 years has seen a virtual removal/driving out/redundancy/pineappling of experienced operational people, management and some other people with a quality aviation background. The place is now run by uni grads, ex uni grads and kiddies who have had absolutely no frontline operational experience whatsoever, FACT. During the volcanic ash excitement and the Jap earthquake they went into meltdown, panicked, fell apart and proved they are incapable of making the 'big decisons' when the shisen truly hits the fan.
Generation Y runs the orange outfit and most have no life skills and would be a blubbering mess without Ffacebook, Twatter, Ipads and every other people skill/communication eroding piece of technolgy.

A truly foolish outfit managed by kindergarten babies.

Fuji San
7th Oct 2011, 08:13
Goodluck getting anyone unless you're paying the bucks !

I've been with a Japanese carrier for just on 10 years and I can tell you there isn't a snowballs chance in hell that anyone up here will accept a fulltime postion in Japan on JQ pay. Not after the trouble you go through to get your
ticket here.

As for the JCAB ATPL, sorry but there are no short cuts. You can look forward to 7 months training if you hold a JCAB ATPL and type rating and around 12 months if you don't. :ugh:

If you are rated , it wont really count here, you have to do it again, that will take about 6 months. :ugh:

All of that done under the firm but friendly hand of JACAB, something to look forward too :O

Around 80% of the guys who have ever applied here also fail the medical, I did my initial in Sydney, that took 3 days. :ugh:

Goodluck , waiting with bated breath :rolleyes:

PS 2000 JAL guys out of work..... that number is far from correct

Bad to the bone
7th Oct 2011, 09:11
Mach082 Mr Pedantic here, perhaps you meant Gaijin as Gweilo is chinese....................

TAC inop.
7th Oct 2011, 12:09
it wont have any Gajin Oz in it anyway, thats the criteria for their trainset.
A funny lepricorn will ultimately try to control it ...tho I suspect its branding only, so JAL and Mitsi will give him the cold sholder and run it anyway the feel like running it
....and return it when it's farked

This aint for us....dunno why they are fishing

pilotdreams1977
8th Oct 2011, 21:36
WTF?!??! Why does Jokestar even bother advertising here in Aus if their website says they require a JCAB licence.........its like everyone here in Aus strives to convert our ICAO licence (which is semi-usefull overseas) to an extremely globally marketable JCAB licence.

And very true about the living in Tokyo or Osaka on a standard JQ salary. And if you have kids and want to send them an international school in Japan.....holy crap, after rent, and school bills.........not much left.

However....if you are a single guy and somehow hold a JCAB licence.....and like to party....then let the good times roll!!!

FFG 02
9th Oct 2011, 05:46
If any Qantas pilot accepts Jetstar Japan I will run naked up Coward St with a sign saying, "I love Bruce."

Wedcue - are you by any chance a good looking chick? I really hope you aren't 64.

Bula
9th Oct 2011, 07:15
BB only knows what his hench men tell him.... Unfortunately his henchmen are compulsive at telling the truth but not the whole truth. Interesting.....

Bright Spark
9th Oct 2011, 08:35
JQ almost tells the truth, but in a very circular fashion, if you go back to the start of this tread Kremin asked about not carrying animals because the holds are unpressurised, the holds are pressurised but the A320 holds are not heated, therefore they don't carry animals, this decision made when ordering the A320 fleet.

Soooooo, unheated, unpressurised slight technicality, same end result for animals in holds, very stiff on arrival.

That's JQ management thinking, I don't understand why, so I'll just make up something that sounds close.

Bright

mohikan
9th Oct 2011, 08:49
I recently spoke to one of the few JCAB license holders who is employed in the Qantas group. He told me to his knowledge there are only a handful of other JCAB license holders in the group and the ones he knows are not going up there for 7K per month for a Capt

He basically validated all of Fuji's points, but added that the failure rate up in Japan for guys and girls with between 7000-10,000 hours previous heavy jet experience ranges between 50-80% of each course. The JCAB check and medical is a nightmare and expensive if self renewing.

If they try self funded endorsements on, you will be looking at between $ 80-110 K USD.

All this for JQ money in the 2nd most expensive city in the world............

Maisk Rotum
14th Oct 2011, 08:18
B.... is hilarious! If he thinks for one second he is going to negotiate a better/shorter licencing sytem he needs to change what he smokes. The JCAB will not change their sytem because he asks nicely. I have a JCAB licence with check pilot approval and A320 experience with QF group and am not interested in the slightest unless it is commuting and USD17,000 a month net. Perhaps I should apply for the fun of it -please someone let us know what they are paying so I don't have to.

neville_nobody
14th Oct 2011, 08:26
but added that the failure rate up in Japan for guys and girls with between 7000-10,000 hours previous heavy jet experience ranges between 50-80% of each course. The JCAB check and medical is a nightmare and expensive if self renewing.

I believe the high failure rate is some local union stunt to keep foreigners out of the Japanese pilot market. You're failed for anything and everything.

This little adventure won't be getting off the ground unless Jetstar want to start paying to train locals.

peuce
14th Oct 2011, 08:27
The cynic in me thinks that they hope NO ONE in Australia applies.
They want locals, but they have to be seen to be offering jobs to Australians.

"We offered ... no one accepted ... not our fault"

Toruk Macto
14th Oct 2011, 23:49
Japan I hear is the only country were it cost more to employ a local than a expat .

4dogs
15th Oct 2011, 09:07
There is only one reason to advertise in Australia, particularly when the available pool of qualified candidates is miniscule:

so that you can tell the politicians that you did it!

and that will prove that there is no reduction in job opportunities for Australian pilots in Jetstar and thus no off-shoring of QF...

Stay Alive

TAC inop.
19th Oct 2011, 02:56
Yup, spot on 4dogs

Maisk...maybe you dont qualify either...unless you currently have Japanese residency. Are you Japanese, or married to Japanese?
The requirements listed are JACAB, and the right of residency. It appears that although some have the 1st, the 2nd part is pretty much only for our Nihon brothers.

Sure, they could apply for a temp visa on your behalf, but then, they could do that for anybody.
Similarly, they could run anyone through the JACAB at the type rating too.

Far as I see, you need both, or no cigar. They can then feel free to say that no Aussie met the requirements.