PDA

View Full Version : Connecting printer to Wireless

Prophead
6th Oct 2011, 06:17
Hi

We have just moved into a temporary cabin and gone from a wired network to wireless via a Vodafone internet hub thingy.

The problem is our new £2500 printer doesnt actually have wireless believe it or not. What is the easiest way to connect multiple computers to this machine over a wireless network. Would we be able to get a wireless dongle and just put it in the usb socket of the printer? All the computers are laptops and people come and go so we cant really connect it direct to one machine.

srobarts
6th Oct 2011, 07:05
You need a wireless print sever as discussed in this thread:http://www.pprune.org/computer-internet-issues-troubleshooting/396128-advice-print-servers-please.html

Not all print servers are equal. Only a few will handle multifunction devices so check if you need scanning etc. Also some will not give the two way comms necessary for telling you print problems or out of paper/toner or ink. So check functions and compatibility before choosing.

Good luck

Prophead
6th Oct 2011, 07:14
Many thanks.

Bushfiva
6th Oct 2011, 09:22
Does the internet hub thingy have a USB port? Does the incredibly expensive printer have a wifi option? You'll get a better quality of reply if you put a bit more info into your question.

Prophead
6th Oct 2011, 10:21
The internet thing is basically a vodafone mobile internet device that we connect to via wifi and then gets the internet from the vodafone network. There are no USB sockets or anything.

The printer does not have wifi.

Regards

Bushfiva
6th Oct 2011, 10:49
Well my printer doesn't have wifi, but it does support 3 specific wifi dongles that give it wifi: you configure the dongle on the PC, then plug it into the printer. You might find a wireless ethernet bridge would be a better or worse solution than a wireless printer server. Again, a hint as to the printer model and vodafone gizmo would have helped. At least one of the Vodafone gizmos has a WPS button, so that might be a consideration when you choose an adapter. Finally, there might be a version of your printer that does support wifi, and you only need to install the card that converts your printer to the wifi-enabled equivalent. I'd probably simply get an old wifi router out of the bit box and configure it as a bridge.

Mike-Bracknell
6th Oct 2011, 13:48
Prophead, send me a PM and i'll sort it with you. You're probably just down the road.

Mike.

Prophead
6th Oct 2011, 16:02
Hi

Thanks for the offer but the site is in central London.

We have managed to get it working by using an old wireless router, just means we have to disconnect from one to the other.

Thanks

Airborne Aircrew
6th Oct 2011, 18:10
Can't you connect the printer directly to one of the computers and share it from there?