PDA

View Full Version : Help needed with a couple of quick? questions.

Loose rivets
5th Oct 2011, 17:34
I found FF add on informeditor very helpful. Little blue arrows pointed me to my data to fill in boxes with names, addresses, strings of numbers etc. It suddenly switched off. But one day, an odd little program showed my data was still there in the backgrounds somewhere. I killed that program a bit sharpish in case it was relaying that data elsewhere, and I have not since seen a sign of the handy add on or the data since

So, it could still be there, in a file called prefs.jp or something like that. :bored:

The other thing is the new streaming of "Conversations" in gmail and Yahoo is driving me crazy. At first I thought it was good, but the vast strings of pages being 'replied' is bad enough, but the odd way it merges the Sent items totally screws my file/folder system.

Is there anyway to make these programs like they were...every e separate, or do I have to start a new e instead of simply replying?

Spurlash2
5th Oct 2011, 21:07
Hi LR,

I'm guessing that the prefs.jp, is a file (javascript, possibly) that held your details for filling in boxes. You don't say what your odd little program was that showed your details, but I guess prefs.jp is benign, and could be deleted quite safely if you have concerns about it.

I couldn't find any info on the FF addin you mentioned, so maybe the developer has withdrawn it, which is why it is not working. Was it a Beta? Did you upgrade FF?

As for your gMail and Yahoo snags; I try to stick to the mantra of: I do not need this, I do not need this... repeat as required:ok: Sorry, not much help on that one.

Loose rivets
5th Oct 2011, 21:59
Last thing first.

Really need a structured e-mail system right now. e's via Yahoo, then gamil, which in turn are via e-bay's hidden relaying system - it's all getting foggy.

To paint the picture. (put here)

One of the reasons for coming back to the uk is to sell as much stuff as I can. It's stuff that's been hanging around in storage for years. Oddly, despite having some huge antiques in this box, a cache of moving coil meters has hit the jackpot. They are for restoring valve/tube testers, and irreplaceable, I have perhaps the only ones in the World. I'm getting interest from as far away as Oz. It means masses of packing and shipping, and hopefully, on-line banking. Why, with any luck, I might get back what it's cost me to store the stuff.

So, the prog to paint in the details was really earning its keep . . . when it vanished.:uhoh:

The program that mysteriously showed the lost details menue was:

The Wilderness Downtown (http://thewildernessdowntown.com/)

It's an utterly fascinating use of, I guess, Street View. Painting with willowy trees is also capturing. Anyway, while looking at this, my already missing list of items suddenly showed. I just can not think of a reason for this.

The only thing I've changed on FF is the Personas. Clutching at straws here.

Spurlash2
5th Oct 2011, 22:22
LR,

Rather than getting bogged down in several different email systems, why not commit to starting an E-bay small business. Everything is provided for you and it's a one stop shop. Payment, email, etc. (although there are fees)

Loose rivets
6th Oct 2011, 00:15
I will be pleased when this selling spree is over. Nightmare. I would commit to gmail, but my old Yahoo is still filled with years of stuff. Just can't let it go.

Also, I was lucky to get my name with gmail, and don't want it deluged with spam. So far, so good. Yahoo takes the flack.

The prog is InFormENTER. (MORE LOGICAL:ugh: ) Ver. 0 6 3 It's in tools - add on manager - extensions. Again I can see my data, but it won't switch on.

Okay. I created a new section, then went back to the standard one. It then worked.

vulcanised
6th Oct 2011, 11:40
From my experience with eBay and Paypal I wouldn't recommend them to anyone, much less ever deal with them again.

Think of the horror stories you've read about some banks and you've got the picture.

Loose rivets
6th Oct 2011, 22:22
Today, I've been trying to build a crude database of folk that want these bits. I'm gleaning their details from my Yahoo mail. Oooooooooooo f:mad:k!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now, every time there's an address in the e-mail, a damn map appears - totally uninvited, and blocks half the text. What spotty little pustular-squeezing nerd thought that would be a good idea? Fine, when I want it, but not sploged all over my information, and at different angles, on the stuff I want, when I don't want it. I hope they implode.

I'll probably remove this thread when I sober up. That'll be next week then.

However, the InFormEnter is working well.

vulcanised
7th Oct 2011, 11:39
I would guess you've opted for the 'super new and improved Yahoo Mail' ?

I didn't, and I don't get any of that. Do you have an option shown to go back to basic?

Loose rivets
7th Oct 2011, 23:55
Well, I will do, but right now I'm terrified of busting something. Hundreds of e's about these meter movements I've had stored for 30 years.

However, I have to test the fluidity and calibration of each one. (50micro amp fsd) and then package same and send it to here and there. One buyer up north of the boarder, chatted to me for 2:36mins. A record, even for me. So not too much organizing that evening.

I allowed myself to drift cos it's an electronics thingie and may be of interest. AVO VCM163 Had one at college in 1958.

Anyway, fielding 100 e's, some go into 30 Re's. The super new mail programs - plural, carry the conversation along with each Re. Finding stuff becomes a nightmare, especially since they all have screen names and e's and e-bay names. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh:ugh:

Open file for each bloke. Get the Sent's, and they've got all the originals in as well. No, no good. Brain's fused. Bottle, barbiturates, and bed.

If as you say this can be switched back to manual drive, I'll do that as soon as there's a lull in the procedures. But who turned on the luxury items? I know I didn't