PDA

View Full Version : problem with wired internet connection

samnasr
4th Oct 2011, 16:20
here is the situation , i have a desktop pc in my office which is few rooms away from the att broadband router/router 2wire . i have dsl uverser att dsl internet with 25 mbps download and 3 mbps . i have wirelss internet adapter that came with the desktop however it is slower cause the modem is few rooms away and i dont get the full bandwith.

Of course my desktop comes with built in pci network adpater for ethernet. so i ran a cat 5 cable through the attic to my office computer. the speed was perfect. or 15 minutes minutes after i connect the ethernet cat5 cable the internet bandwith both wireless and wired crashes in my house from 25 mbs to 1 if not less . i thought it was the cable so i went and bought a brand new cat6 cable all done with the rj45 bits on it and ran it still i had the same problem.

then i went and bought a brand new dlink gigabit desktop pci network adapter. i disabled the built in adapter that came with the computer and installed the new one. my friend said that should do it cause maybe the built in network adapter is malfunctioning.. sure enough 15 minutes later my bandwith was reduced again

i connected my laptop through the same cat6 cable and worked on it for few hours and the bandwith stayed blazing speed the whole time. right now i activated my wireless portion of my desktop and im using the internet that way with no problem. what could be the actual problem guys? my pc has no viruses as well .

i don't think the length on the cat6 can kill the bandwith . it is 50 feet. can it ? it didnt kill the bandwith when i hardwired my laptop to it. i also connected ps3 and played online for 30 minutes and my bandwith stayed perfect all around the house

mixture
4th Oct 2011, 16:56
It's not the length, that can be up to 100m / 300ft.

Sounds like you might have a duplex mismatch, what OS are you running and I'll give you an idea of how to check.

Does this happen any day of the week and any time of day, or on specific days and/or specific times ? You may just be seeing contention/traffic shaping/rate limiting.

samnasr
5th Oct 2011, 21:36
thank you the response my operating system in windows vista 64bit . there is no specific times really . i have tested the same cable on my actual laptop which is windows vista and actual ps3 online gaming didnt have the same problem . it is driving me nuts

JamesT73J
10th Oct 2011, 13:07
I'm wondering if there is a software firewall on Ethernet NIC that Vista is being mischevious with. Can't imagine what else it could be.

Mike-Bracknell
10th Oct 2011, 13:41
thank you the response my operating system in windows vista 64bit . there is no specific times really . i have tested the same cable on my actual laptop which is windows vista and actual ps3 online gaming didnt have the same problem . it is driving me nuts

Duplex mismatching is nothing to do with the cable. It's to do with the implementation of duplexing autonegotiation as the interpretation of the RFC varied a lot, meaning that a lot of the times certain NIC manufacturers won't reliably negotiate the correct speed with other NIC manufacturers.

To fix this, go into the NIC settings and hardcode what it's supposed to be, rather than "autonegotiate".

BOAC
10th Oct 2011, 14:16
Sam - not sure about Vista, but in XP, Network connections, right click on the internet adapter you have (dlink) go to 'properties' and on the 'General' tab select the adpater (at the top?) and 'Configure'. Take the 'Advanced' tab and what the gurus are saying (in Greek:hmm:) is to look at the speed/duplex setting or similar name. They are suggesting you don't use 'auto' but perhaps try 100 Full Duplex? It might be worth doing the same on the laptop to see what that is set at first? How did you install the new Dlink card? Did you select 'default settings?

You might wish to visit D-Link 10/100/1000 Gigabit Desktop PCI Adapter (http://www.dlink.com/products/default.aspx?pid=DGE-530T&tab=3), check you have the right drivers for that Vista version and see if there are any clues there.

mixture
10th Oct 2011, 14:38
You're on the right lines BOAC... :)

samnasr
11th Oct 2011, 06:35
thank you guys i will check this tomorrow and let you know .