PDA

View Full Version : New Chopper for VicPol?

VH-XXX
3rd Oct 2011, 09:54
Just caught a glimpse of an EC120 or 130 on the news about a promo for speed cameras in Melbourne, seemed to have Police checker colouring on it.
Have they got a new machine?

John Eacott
3rd Oct 2011, 09:58
XXX,

EC135T2i, they've had it for a while now: about a year, IIRC. Nice bit of kit, but not a standard 'Police fit' 135 having a number of VicPol changes :ok:

Peter3127
3rd Oct 2011, 14:04
A little bird told me it has no aircon and the ride makes seasoned crew queasy.:ooh:

You could wonder the real cost of this ship given the requirement for mixed fleet maintenance and training - would another Dauphin have been cheaper?

That said - it sure looks the goods.

VH-XXX
3rd Oct 2011, 22:45
I assume that this one replaces the Squirrel that they had? Is it based up north of the state? Have never seen it over Melbourne, particularly in the south.

John Eacott
3rd Oct 2011, 23:47
I assume that this one replaces the Squirrel that they had? Is it based up north of the state? Have never seen it over Melbourne, particularly in the south.

Yes, it replaced the Squirrel, and no, it isn't Up North. It is based at Essendon Airport with the rest of the VPAW and the Air Ambulance in the Taj Mahal (aka Hangar 23) ;)

VH-XXX
4th Oct 2011, 08:12
What are you actually trying to say John, has VicPol outsourced their helicopter maintenance to India?????

CYHeli
9th Oct 2011, 04:39
XXX, engineering not out-sourced to India, JE is simply saying that they are in a MASSIVE hangar. Don't have photos at hand, but there is enough room (and bays) for two N3's, and EC135, a B412, an AS350, etc, room to work in between and an office at one end for Ambulance Victoria and VicPol at the other end. Check it out on Google Earth, as John says, hangar 23.