PDA

View Full Version : IMC !?!?!?

CPL
2nd Oct 2011, 19:43
as we all know the IMC is getting scrapped but the question is, what is going too replace is?

Im working towards getting my CPL & IR by the Modular way, for a commercial airline pilot but should i get my IMC before it gets scrapped or not ?

a airline pilot i know says he thinks it will be replaced with a European-an Restricted Instrument rating.. Is it worth me getting the IMC rating or not

Help pleaseee thanks

CAT3C AUTOLAND
2nd Oct 2011, 19:50
If you are going for the CPL/IR, dont worry about the IMC mate. You will learn all the skills required on your IR, so I would not bother spending the money on your IMC, it is not necessary.

mrmum
3rd Oct 2011, 08:46
The OP is doing the modular route, so needs to do something (useful) with the hour-building, so why not an IMCr? While the IR is to a higher standard and the syllabus contains more than the IMCr, it's a bit like the situation of should I get a PPL before doing an integrated course. There's no allowance for it, but you get some useful experience and it's not unusual to to do so.
Doing an IMCr won't be cheap hour-building, but it's certainly more useful than going to the US for a couple of weeks and just drilling holes in the sky. However, there are of course many other useful and beneficial things to do in the course of acquiring the modular hours requirements.
Also, I don't think we actually know for certain yet what is going to happen with the IMCr, will it disappear totally, be grandfathered, become the EIR. The general consensus seems to be that anyone who has the qualification will be allowed to retain the privileges, however that is made to work bureaucratically. So, if in the future, once you have a type-specific, multi-crew IR, having a IMCr will still give you some benefits on light aircraft, whether that is worth much depends on the individual.

DB6
3rd Oct 2011, 08:54
Latest on the IMC http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/464269-easa-imcr-news.html

CPL
3rd Oct 2011, 09:48
Most of the imc skills i already know, its just the fact of getting the rating or not, as you said save your money which is what im trying to do, need too get my hour building done in the next few weeks aswell, does anyone recommend anywhere to do so ? thanks

Genghis the Engineer
3rd Oct 2011, 10:14
Most of the imc skills i already know, its just the fact of getting the rating or not, as you said save your money which is what im trying to do, need too get my hour building done in the next few weeks aswell, does anyone recommend anywhere to do so ? thanks

If you have a standard CPL/VFR, this is not true.

I bolted the IMC onto my CPL, and frankly learned far more in the 12 hours training (yes you can theoretically do it in only 5 hours with a CPL, but you won't), than I did in the entire CPL course.

If you're well into your IR training, then clearly it is true.

G

CPL
3rd Oct 2011, 10:32
So do you think i should get the imc before it gets crapped or not, i sat in the back of a pa28 for 15hours whilst my friend did his at Blackpool, on seperate days

mrmum
3rd Oct 2011, 13:15
We can't answer that for you. You will get help, suggestions, opinions and pros & cons, then you need to make your own mind up on what is best for you.

It would help if we knew where you were now, I got the impression you had a JAA-PPL(A), as you still need to do your hour building. Is that correct? How many hours do you have, TT & PIC? Have you already got a NQ?

Why the rush/need to get your hour building done in the next few weeks?

CPL
3rd Oct 2011, 17:27
yes i have my PPl and Night rating just want to know if i need to get the IMC or not, i know you dont need it but would it make that massive difference and ive done 55hours total and 13 PIC

Thanks

Genghis the Engineer
3rd Oct 2011, 18:35
Get some flying experience, probablyvdoubling your hours, then ask YOURSELF the question again.

G

T668BFJ
3rd Oct 2011, 18:37
I will only add to your confidence if things go a little wrong or you read the weather badly.

In terms of what it does for you, very little. IT should not be used for bad weather flying if you intend to fly in IMC conditions get the IR. The IMC was only ever designed as a " get out of jail free" in those rare occasions we screw up.

If your going the whole hog, save the dual time and just do usefull hour building trips and exercises instead.

I did multiple cross countries and many flights on basic nav exercises doing practice diversions etc, that will probably help you more.
Visit different airfields etc and get more varied experience.

I did modular and I did the IMC, the later was a waste of time.

Hope that helps

mcgoo
3rd Oct 2011, 18:43
You would be better off doing the FAA IR then converting, this would reduce your IR training from 55 hours down to 15, big saving!

EK4457
3rd Oct 2011, 21:19
The idea of the IMCr being good hour building is a red herring. Whilst good training, it is all PUT and will not count towards your P1 time.

It is a very good course, but it is 100% extra expense. Don't be caught out.

EK