PDA

View Full Version : Ten Most Venomous Snakes

V2-OMG!
1st Oct 2011, 22:13
What a thing to wake-up to on a lazy Saturday.....:eek:
MSN.com (http://www.msn.com/?ocid=MIE8HMPG)

As far as I know, none of these ba$tards are slithering around N. America, although we do have some poisonous ankle-biters of our own. I've never encountered any, but haven't been able to sleep on bare ground after hearing of a friend's camping trip. Hey! I'm not moving - why is the sleeping bag? Some non-venomous ones had wiggled their way in there during the night seeking warmth.

Since PpruNe is an international site, anyone care to regale us with any encounters with one of these not-so-welcome inhabitants?

11Fan
1st Oct 2011, 22:18
I've only had one encounter with a snake up in the High Desert of California. It was a Diamond Back Rattler as I recall.

Unfortunately for the snake, I happened to be carrying a shotgun at the time.

Psst. Hi V2

V2-OMG!
1st Oct 2011, 22:22
11Fan, thank cripes for the shotgun.

Pssst....hi 11Fan.

tinpis
1st Oct 2011, 22:22
They say here that you are always a few metres away from one at all times they is shy buggers and can shft quick smart like so unless they want yer never going to see one
Most likely encounter is crossing the hghway in the middle of the never never..

V2-OMG!
1st Oct 2011, 22:26
tinpis, that's what I thought too - they were relatively shy - until an Aussie outbacker told us about being chased by a brown down a trail.

Needless to say, the outbacker never took that "shyness" for granted again.

Capetonian
1st Oct 2011, 22:27
They forgot the Lesser Smoothskinned Teflon Slimesnake, last seen heading for the Middle East from the direction of Buckinghamshire, and its partner, the hideous Squaremouthed Bottomdweller Cherisnake.

I was going to add the Hypocritus Maximus Permatansnake Petrus Hain when I realised that it is grossly unfair to even the most venomous of serpents to compare them with politicians of any ilk.

G-CPTN
1st Oct 2011, 22:50
What about the one-eyed trouser snake?

11Fan
1st Oct 2011, 22:53
What about the one-eyed trouser snake?

Generally not a threat as long as they remain in captivity.

Hydromet
1st Oct 2011, 23:19
I used to do snake rescues for the local animal rescue organisation. Never had any real problems, usually the snakes were only too keen to go into the bag. Was dealing mainly with eastern browns and red bellied blacks. RBBs are very timid, and very good at hiding, but EBs can be very aggressive, especially if the weather's cool.
The worst scare I had was trying to pick up a RBB that was hiding in a garden. When I finally found it, I stepped back and fell over @rsewards. As the snake took off, my only thought was "He's going to try to hide up my trouser leg!"

ChristiaanJ
1st Oct 2011, 23:36
V2-OMG!
None of those ten are endemic here (S. France) either.
When we had a holiday house a bit up North, we were warned of vipers (which are common in Europe), so we always brought anti-snake-venom serum - never needed it, thank goodness.
Locally we have non-venomous grass snakes ('couleuvres' in French), which still scare people - unfortunate for the snakes. I once found one swimming in the pool... fished it out and put it in the back garden. Never saw it again - never figured out how it got over the wall, but it must have done so...

CJ

Solid Rust Twotter
1st Oct 2011, 23:55
This black mamba was dug out of the mattress where it was hiding by the lady holding it. The black inside of the mouth tells the story - If you see that you'd better be moving pretty quickly already as they've been known to keep up with a horse for short distances and their venom is deadly.

http://www.sareptiles.co.za/gallery/albums/userpics/11315/DSC_0009~0.JPG

Takan Inchovit
2nd Oct 2011, 00:27
Man that bed bug is big. My respect for that lady is immense.

Mowed a Taipan in long grass once, fortunately for me it put its head under the mower to 'sort out' the blades which were shortening its tail at that moment.

Hydromet
2nd Oct 2011, 02:05
Apparently when I was a toddler in Mt. Mulligan, I was playing on the back steps. Mum went out and there was a taipan on the steps, which was promptly despatched by my father. Don't remember it, although I do remember other snakes being despatched about that time.

sisemen
2nd Oct 2011, 02:41
A few years ago I was driving to work when a whacking great King Brown slithered across the road just in front of me. Berdump, berdump went the wheels as I went over it.

I checked in the rear view mirror to look at the corpse. No sign! I stopped and had another look in the mirrors. Nothing. Must have missed it thinks I, and drove off.

After a couple of metres I checked the mirror again and there was Mr Brown in the road slithering away to the other side.

Must have jumped up and grabbed the axle at 30-40 kph and survived the run-over!

They breed the buggers tough in Western Australia :ok:

Airborne Aircrew
2nd Oct 2011, 02:43
Not one of them are as vicious and poisonous as my ex-wife... :sad:

PLovett
2nd Oct 2011, 02:47
Two of the 10 exist where I live. Used to see a few when out riding and had to be careful with the dogs and if I found any around the house they would be despatched, but out in the paddocks they were allowed to exist.

Howard Hughes
2nd Oct 2011, 02:54
Snakes tend to leave us alone, except brown Snakes, feisty little buggers they are!:ok:

rh200
2nd Oct 2011, 03:06
Grew up in the north of the state, where the motto was "the only good snake is a dead snake". Fortunitly age has tempered that outlook, and its a you leave me alone and I leave you alone view.

When we went camping there was always the myths around about snakes crawling into your swag at night, never heard of it actually happening though. King brown where I grew up where the beast to be careful of.

Must have jumped up and grabbed the axle at 30-40 kph and survived the run-over!Thats why the rule was to lock up your wheels on them!

that's what I thought too - they were relatively shy - until an Aussie outbacker told us about being chased by a brown down a trail.Yea strange, always taught most snakes will go away and not chase you, although with a couple of exceptions. One being the friggen Taipan which apparently are really short tempered and may chase you.

The other the death Adder, which I think has the snake kingdom equivalent to the "short man syndrome". They seem to just stay put and let you stand on them. Almost stood on one on Koolan Island many years ago. Mongrel breed thing didn't move and I just caught it out of the corner of my eye, looked like a piece of scrunched up dirty chux.

Rollingthunder
2nd Oct 2011, 03:17
Forget the snakes, get rid of the cane toads.

No cane toads here, only diamond backed rattlers

V2-OMG!
2nd Oct 2011, 03:45
Snakes tend to leave us alone, except brown Snakes, feisty little buggers they are....

Jeeze......you've got that right. Now I know how fast the outbacker was running!

Don't chase Brown Snakes (Pseudonaja nuchalis) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=Ez8MB331xkI)

Solid Rust Twotter
2nd Oct 2011, 07:45
The other the death Adder, which I think has the snake kingdom equivalent to the "short man syndrome". They seem to just stay put and let you stand on them. Almost stood on one on Koolan Island many years ago. Mongrel breed thing didn't move and I just caught it out of the corner of my eye, looked like a piece of scrunched up dirty chux.

Puff Adder and Gabon Viper in these parts. Well camoed and lazier than a member of the air force so you don't see them until you find them latched onto your leg. The venom won't kill you but you'll lose bits of your leg, with average recovery time taking around six months as you slowly rot from the inside.

tony draper
2nd Oct 2011, 09:55
The buggas could really shift when they had legs.:uhoh:

Keef
2nd Oct 2011, 10:03
The buggas could really shift when they had legs.:uhoh:

"I told them it was a mistake to go swimming with sharks", said Adam.

Cacophonix
2nd Oct 2011, 10:20
The rinkhals is a nasty aggressive bugger.

Friend was horse riding on the beach and disturbed one of these things and it reared up and struck his leg. He was in a coma for over two weeks and it took months for him to recover. Not to be trifled with.

Caco

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/26/Hemachatus-1.jpg/300px-Hemachatus-1.jpg

Dan Gerous
2nd Oct 2011, 10:42
Saw a few snakes in Saudi, one very short black one which we found in our building, and our trainee, Suliman, told us was poisonous. We used a bristle broom to evict it, but all the time wishing the broom handle was a wee bit longer. Biggest I saw was about 4 feet long, which was slithering across the hardstanding on the other side of the runway. I ran back in the section and grabbed my camera, told my co workers and we set off to find it, but never did. A straight over their heads moment. I was asked to go to Abha airport and pick up some new arrivals, and anyone coming back off leave, and bring them back to the compound (Al Nassim?). Driving up the road to the compound, there was a dead snake lying in the road. I pointed it out to the FNG's, and one asked what kind it was . I replied it looked like a "flat headed road snake".

ohallen
2nd Oct 2011, 10:47
Once saw a doco on the black mamba (on an aircraft and no one watching put their feet on the floor for ages)and the story was that if 12 people walked into a room where there was one, the snake would bite the first one so he could to escape AND THEN realise there were 11 more and come back to bite everyone else. Fiesty things in trees and very large in size.

In OZ never seen anything a shot gun couldn't handle especially browns, no need to get too close because they have nasty personalities.

Buster Hyman
2nd Oct 2011, 11:15
I didn't see Rupert Murdoch on that list. :confused:

Storminnorm
2nd Oct 2011, 12:31
Found a large snake curled up on a brake unit one
morning in NBO.
Turned round to ask a local what sort of snake it was,
and discovered one was alone!!
Crept away in reverse. Seemed the right thing to do.
It had departed later.

max1
2nd Oct 2011, 13:01
What is it that Australian kids love to taunt the animals that can kill them.
We had a sailing regatta/training camp at Keppel Bay last week. The adults tell the kids that Brown snakes are in the rocks around the Sailing Club.We have Brown snakes cross the ramp where we put the boats in. The kids decide to squirt the snakes with their water bottles just for the hell of it.
We have shark nets off the beach. The kids jump off their boats to relieve themselves between races.
No-ones taking this country without a serious barney. Love Australia,

flyblue
2nd Oct 2011, 20:40
I was in BKK on layover. I have a dear friend there, who owns a beautiful restaurant, with a very big garden and a pond.
One morning he called me to warn he'd be 30' late because he had "a problem" at the restaurant. When he arrived, I asked him what was the "problem" this time (previous time it was a rather funny story about the Chef taking slimming pills that made him crazy so that he stripped himself naked and jumped on the pond claiming he was the ghost of my friend's deceased Grandfather). "Oh", he replied "there was a python in the kitchen. I had to wait for the Firemen to show up and kill it. It was at least 3 meters long and rather beautiful, a rich mustard color". "A python?? And what did you do with the body?" "I asked the firemen to dispose of it" he replied. "Are you insane??? A 3 meters python, a rich mustard color, there was enough for a handbag, a pair of boots and a belt!!!"
Men, no common sense... :(

BarbiesBoyfriend
2nd Oct 2011, 22:53
I've only seen one in the wild- in Denmark. A big six foot long black thing that took straight off when we saw each other.

I thought that a Krait is a serious killing snake?

Solid Rust Twotter
2nd Oct 2011, 23:20
Pythons are shy and relatively harmless unless you're small and furry. Would have been better to stuff it in a big sack or a garbage pail and go dump it in the bush.

Found a monitor lizard on the highway once and decided to catch it and release it somewhere safe. Managed to get it in to the trunk of my car which it had shredded by the time we got somewhere quiet where it could be released. No good deed goes unpunished....:}

Hydromet
2nd Oct 2011, 23:25
Found a monitor lizard on the highway once and decided to catch it and release it somewhere safe. Managed to get it in to the trunk of my car which it had shredded by the time we got somewhere quiet where it could be released. No good deed goes unpunished....

I used to quite happily pick up seriously venomous (and occasionally cranky) snakes, but am very happy that aside from training, I never had to rescue a monitor (aka goanna). They have nasty teeth & claws, and have a tendency to run up the nearest high thing when scared. If that's you, expect to be shredded by their claws as they go.

Solid Rust Twotter
3rd Oct 2011, 08:08
Original plan was to have monitor (also known as a leguaan or likkewaan) on the back seat taped up with electrical gaffer tape. Didn't have enough so lobbed him in the boot and grabbed my toolbox to put on the back seat. Upholstery was severely shredded by the time I released him a few minutes later. Plastic dustbin with a few holes in the lid would have done the trick but hindsight is always 20/20.

He was a big bugger, just over six feet tip to tail. Couldn't leave him to get hurt.

Captain Sand Dune
3rd Oct 2011, 10:11
When we went camping there was always the myths around about snakes crawling into your swag at night, never heard of it actually happening though.
Actually......remember setting up the hootchie one afternoon when on exercise in the High Range training area (W of Townsville). Made the near fatal error of unrolling the sleeping bag and then spending the rest of the afternoon flying around the countryside in my mighty Huey. Later that evening as I crawled into the sleeping bag I felt something wriggling :eek:. Not sure which moved faster, the snake or I. Didn't identify it, but wasn't going to hang around to find out!

Rollingthunder
3rd Oct 2011, 10:31
Always shake out sleeping bags for snakes and then boots in the morning for tarantulas. Don't know how to to shake out sharks. Ain't life like living?

angels
3rd Oct 2011, 10:48
I did a siseman out back in NSW and ran over a Brown snake. The thing is, I stopped to see if it was okay!

It wasn't. I had obviously seriously damaged it and the nerve damage was causing it to leap around. It nearly got me. My mate dragged me back into the motor and gave me a lecture about the Brown -- nearly shat meself after the event!

In Hong Kong a mate of mine lived in the New Territories. One day he came out of his house and there was a krait sunbathing on the pavement, The RHKP had a snake catching section (don't know if they still do) so he called them and they tipped up in a Land Rover.

They looked at the snake, said, "It's a krait." Got in the landie and promptly drove over it! They reversed up and down to make sure the poor thing was squidged adequately and bid my mate a fond farewell.

My mate felt guilty for ages as he had expected them to catch it and realease it somewhere.

His guilt was worsened by the fact that the sun baked the poor snake onto the pavement where it remained for some months -- it's dead eyes staring accusingly at my mate every time he walked down the road!

Landie edit!! Edited to add that one of the mods obviously has it in for a motor which sounds like Band Dover -- its been changed to Trabant!

Storminnorm
3rd Oct 2011, 11:14
My BIL in Holland had a Trabant.
I think it died.

Solid Rust Twotter
3rd Oct 2011, 11:43
These are the boys, Mr Hydromet...

Likkewaan | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/hyper7/4977557374/lightbox/)

http://www.outdoorphoto.co.za/gallery/data/517/medium/Image00020.jpg
http://www.carolinecollie.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/IMG_7791-1024x680.jpg
http://www.digitalekameraklub.co.za/Augustus%202009%20inskrywings/Natuur%20afdeling/slides/Likkewaan.jpg

Union Jack
3rd Oct 2011, 12:03
"I asked the firemen to dispose of it" he replied. "Are you insane??? A 3 meters python, a rich mustard color, there was enough for a handbag, a pair of boots and a belt!!!"
Men, no common sense...

To which my (male) common sense reply would be, "And I hope that the restaurant customers enjoyed "le plat du jour"!:ok:

Jack

PS Opened up the website in the opening post and, lo and behold, there was a picture of a certain Mr Michael Tindall...... What can this mean?:E

Hydromet
3rd Oct 2011, 12:31
Thanks SRT, that looks very much like what we call a goanna, monitor or perentie, depending on species or location. 6' is pretty big but not unheard of, and I don't think I'd be trying to get it into the boot of my car.

Had a case near here where a 14 yo boy was feeding a small one in a picnic area. The boy decided it had had enough and it didn't agree, climbed up him to get the remaining bread. Many deep wounds.

SASless
3rd Oct 2011, 13:08
Should not Michelle Obama be on this list somewhere?

Solid Rust Twotter
3rd Oct 2011, 13:16
Yup, they're pretty bright blokes, Mr Hydromet. Our lot enjoy water and will often be found swimming or lurking around ponds and rivers, often up a tree or sunning themselves on a rock. They swim well and they're quite strong. Not worth facing down but approaching from the back for a grab as long as you avoid the claws is reasonably safe. Just need to be on your toes. There's no reason to catch them unless to move them to a safer area in any case so anyone who does it for fun deserves to be gutted like a fish. They're pretty peaceful on the whole, if left alone.:ok:

rh200
3rd Oct 2011, 13:27
Thanks SRT, that looks very much like what we call a goanna, monitor or perentie, depending on species or location

Or bungarra's, something along that spelling, aboriginal name. In the old days in the mines up north they would hang around some of the camps. No fear, just wanderon in and around people if you where at the wet mess.

Our lot enjoy water and will often be found swimming or lurking around ponds and rivers

There was even storys at said mines of them jumping in the pool, which if occupied would quickly empty:p. Never saw it myself, but did have one wander around the deck chairs where I was relaxing on shift change.

Blacksheep
3rd Oct 2011, 13:34
We had a King Cobra on the verandah one night. The dog woke us up barking and dancing with it (a couple of year later he was fatally wounded by a snake). When it reared up it was as tall as me, so I beat a hasty retreat and called the Bomba (Fire Brigade). They also sh*t bricks when they saw it and it took three of them to catch it with their very longest snake lassoo and put it in their box. Five meters long and very feisty, it was. Mrs BS asked them what they'd do with it and they said they'd take it to the water catchment and let it go. Taman Tasek (The Lake Garden) is a tourist attraction! :uhoh:

On another occasion I met a three feet long Krait entering the hangar by the back door as I was just leaving. It was about to creep into the ladies' prayer room so I encouraged it to back out with a handy broomstick and flipped it over the storm drain, after which it crawled off into the secondary jungle across the road. Phew!

One day there was a large green coloured snake resting on top of the air-con at the hangar "Pie Cart" which scattered the assembled expat supervisors. One of the locals wandered up and grabbed it by the neck like that lady in the photo and everbody came back to examine it. "I thought it was poisonous!" said Gerry. "It is" said our local hero. Cue rapid disappearance of expatriates again.

Hydromet
3rd Oct 2011, 22:35
Had a small goanna that used to visit the roof of my shed to dine on birds eggs and chicks that were there until I sealed it. Seemed to enjoy sliding down the corrugated iron when he'd finished.

In Bougainville, there are, theoretically, no venomous snakes, but in other parts of PNG there are some rather nasty ones. If the Bougainvilleans ever caught a snake, it was likely to turn up in all sorts of places calculated to scare the bejesus out of their mainland colleagues.

tony draper
3rd Oct 2011, 22:39
One would need a long thin cage to keep this buggah in.:uhoh:
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a194/Deaddogbay/Snake-1.jpg

henry crun
3rd Oct 2011, 22:49
Mr D. I suspect that one has been elongated by photoshop.

Hydromet
3rd Oct 2011, 23:50
That would be stretching the truth a bit.

SASless
4th Oct 2011, 01:36
Perhaps not as venomous as some of the Oz Snakes....but imagine trying to pull these chocks!

For Eastern Diamond Back Rattlesnakes....this rascal is breeding stock length!

http://cdn.mqstatic.com/files/gunslot/imagecache/page/images/58007.jpg

tinpis
6th Oct 2011, 22:20
Ooooer... :uhoh:

Snake plague strikes Territory | News | NT News | Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia | ntnews.com.au (http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2011/10/06/264861_ntnews.html)

Mike X
6th Oct 2011, 22:51
We had a King Cobra on the verandah one night.

From memory, they are highly venomous and can kill a grown elephant in half an hour with a bite to the softer part of the trunk.

Buggars grow to great lengths.

Worrals in the wilds
7th Oct 2011, 08:54
It wasn't. I had obviously seriously damaged it and the nerve damage was causing it to leap around. It nearly got me. My mate dragged me back into the motor and gave me a lecture about the Brown -- nearly shat meself after the event!

I've had a bit to do with browns and never found them all that aggro, unless they get hit by a car. If they're run over and seriously injured they'll whip around and bite anything within range. Can't blame them, it would make me grouchy too but my bite doesn't kill (despite what a couple of disgruntled exes may claim ;)). Personally, if they're in that state I think it's kinder and safer to finish the job, if they're not seriously hurt they'll bolt and the problem won't arise.

Maybe their temperament varies depending on region, but I've found that if you're out walking and meet a brown snake you can just step around it. The problem is if you step on it, crawl into its sleeping bag (even if you thought it was your sleeping bag :E) or otherwise freak it out and it can't escape, it will bite. A cousin was bitten by one as he rummaged around in a carton under the house. The snake was in the carton and bit him twice. One chopper ride, six weeks in hospital and ongoing kidney issues later...he's okay. Only just though, the hospital people reckoned he had about 15 minutes to live. (To make it worse he got to spend the six weeks being lectured by the whole tribe about how bushies are supposed to know better. We had a roster going:}).

We also get red bellied black snakes. I'm told that they don't kill you but you spend a week or so wishing they did. :eek: Fortunately we don't get many taipans, I hear they're psycho.

Hydromet
7th Oct 2011, 09:02
I'm told that there are no recorded cases of adults being killed by red-bellied blacks, but several cases of children dying. I think you'd have to be unlucky to be bitten by an RBB as they are usually off like a shot as soon as you're near. Eastern browns will also try to get away, but in cold weather when their energy is down, they're just as likely to stick around and have a go, although they don't always envenomate.

Worrals in the wilds
7th Oct 2011, 09:09
That could explain it, because SEQ isn't that cold. You certainly see them getting around all winter.

Avtrician
7th Oct 2011, 11:18
am I being paranoid?

Yep, I have been here for 59 Yrs, and only been killed a dozen times so far, nothing serious..

:E:E

Worrals in the wilds
7th Oct 2011, 12:11
We visit Oz every year and one's mindset re garden behaviour changes: no touch, no putting hands into holes, check under huts etc - or am I being paranoid?

Course you are. Go for it, you too can enjoy six weeks of hospital food...we can even rent you a nagging family if yours is too far away to visit ;).

Seriously, in urban areas you're fairly safe. Snakes do get seen in the 'burbs, but they're usually pretty timid and used to humans. Worst case scenario is generally a nasty spider bite that hurts but wont kill you. Realistically, in the city more people get attacked and hurt by pet dogs than snakes, crocs etc. However, if you're in a semi rural or bush area it's an entirely different story and it pays to give anything a good kick before you stick your mitts in it.
P.S. This does not constitute dating advice, even if you're visiting Winton. :}

Main Beach, Gold Coast is extremely built up and one of the most densely populated areas in Queensland, but it's next to a scrubby area and gets the odd slithery beachgoer, usually in spring. It pays to be a little bit careful (particularly if you're next to a creek or big park) but I wouldn't lose sleep over it.
Chaos as snakes rule Gold Coast beach Local Gold Coast News | goldcoast.com.au | Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia (http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2011/02/28/295485_gold-coast-news.html)
Christmas no fun for snake victim Gold Coast Top Story | goldcoast.com.au | Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia (http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2007/12/26/6299_gold-coast-lead-story.html)
Brown snakes at Main Beach - Photo Gallery | Gold Coast Bulletin - Australia | goldcoast.com.au (http://tools.goldcoast.com.au/photo-gallery/photo_gallery_popup_preview.php?category_id=24505&offset=0)

Hydromet
8th Oct 2011, 00:43
Worrals is spot on with advice re urban snakes. Living in outer urban Sydney near a large bush park, we saw a couple of RBBs when the area was first being developed and they were probably disturbed, and occasionally get reports of them in gardens, but pretty rare, although one was caught in the inner city a while back. Carpet snakes (pythons) are more common but harmless unless you touch them, when they may nip you.
Anywhere in the bush, you're likely to be near to venomous snakes, so it pays to be careful, but not paranoid.

rh200
8th Oct 2011, 02:06
Anywhere in the bush, you're likely to be near to venomous snakes, so it pays to be careful, but not paranoid.And make lots of noise, which will scare most snakes off, except for the [email protected] little Death adders:*, hmm and maybe pissed off Taipans, in which case your probably screwed as the extra noise will just piss them off more.:uhoh: In second thoughts might be better just to stay indoors:p

Hydromet
8th Oct 2011, 02:37
Actually, noise won't scare them off, as snakes are deaf. They're very sensitive to vibrations from the ground, though, so walking heavily will usually do the job, except for those that prefer concealment, such as death adders. They are the ones I'm most scared of in the bush (we don't have taipans down here), as they're practically invisible and hide under leaves etc if they feel your vibrations.

rh200
8th Oct 2011, 03:45
Actually, noise won't scare them off, as snakes are deaf

Noise is vibration, how much it contributes I wouldn't have a clue, I only know from years of word of mouth, so could be urban/country myth. But as far as I'm aware most "guides" etc say to "make lots of noise" whilst walking though bushland

priapism
8th Oct 2011, 04:20
Tiger Snake in inner Melbourne - YouTube

I ride the same path almost daily . For those of you unfamiliar with Melbourne the Yarra River flows through the city. It flows through many heavily populated suburbs .I know the spot where this was taken. It is probably less than 4 kms from the CBD. In 2003 in a suburb called Kew which surrounds the Yarra about 6 kms from the city an elderly lady was fatally bitten by a Tiger snake whilst gardening in her yard. The local snake catchers expressed no surprise. The river and it's surrounds are a perfect habitat for the rodent/frog eating snake.
On a personal level , I have seen many snakes whilst enjoying walks in the bush. The most I have seen have been in the Tidal River to Sealer's cove hike at Wilson's Promontory Victoria. Many Tiger snakes - they disappear well in front of you - quite a shy species. I also was walking around the shore of Lake St Clair in Tasmania one summer's evening many years ago and lost count of the number of Red Bellied Black snakes we saw on the large rock strewn shore.
I have had some funny encounters with goannas as well. Rule 1 whilst camping - never leave a carton of eggs or any meat out. I was walking at a Place called Rawson in Victoria - when a large lace monitor strolled along the same track . It was as fat as a tick and had no fear of me. It climbed up a small tree trunk , about head height to me and looked at me curiously flicking a brilliant forked tongue in my direction. It was then I noticed the dried egg yolk and shell stuck to the side of his head. They are so big up close.
I was at Berry Springs in Darwin once and witnessed one swim across - very good movers in the water indeed.

priapism
8th Oct 2011, 04:28
Tiger Snakes in Yarra Bend Park, Melbourne - Aussie Pythons & Snakes (http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/field-herping-reptile-studies-5373/tiger-snakes-yarra-bend-park-83750/)

Some great reading from residents and snake handlers in the inner suburbs of Melbourne.

onetrack
8th Oct 2011, 16:38
Dad was working for a farmer in Southern Victoria (Australia) when he first arrived in Australia from England in 1923. He was treated poorly, like most casual farm help, and his lodgings was a crude bed in a farm shed.
He awoke in the middle of the night to feel the weight of some animal moving around on his feet. He thought it was a farm dog and kicked out, to get it off his feet.
The kicking failed to stop the animal wriggling around on top of his feet. He got up and lit the oil lantern, and was stunned to find a huge black snake, curled up on the bottom of his bed! :eek:

Needless to say, the snake was dispatched with some alacrity, and he said the rest of the night was spent rather sleeplessly, worrying about how many more there were!

I've had a Tiger snake chase me when I was about 8. I was walking down the driveway of the farm, which was in swampy country (good Tiger snake country) just out of Perth.
It was about 4:00 PM and I'd just come home from school and was just off for a wander around the farm with a snack in hand.
This Tiger snake appeared from nowhere, came across the driveway at an angle directly towards me and then reared up, and charged at me.
I can tell you, I made John Landy look like he was an also-ran in the 4 minute mile (John Landy was big news, back then) :)

I do not trust any Australian snakes. I've had a Carpet snake rear up and launch itself at me, despite the fact they are reputedly docile and harmless.

The most amazing sights I have seen for snake speed are the following:-

1. I spotted a thin snake about 4' long, that I could not identify, in bush just West of Kanowna, when I was doing construction work on a new haul road I was in charge of installing.
This snake travelled through the open scrub at a speed that I would estimate to be around 45 kmh, and kept that speed up, until it disappeared from sight.
It was travelling much faster than a man could run, and I have never seen a snake that has travelled at that speed for that distance, before or since.
I have no idea what type of snake it was, but Gwardas (or Gwardirs) are common in the Kalgoorlie region.

2. I spotted a Dugite (Pseudonada affinis) with its head raised by the RHS of the (sealed) highway when I was exiting a medium-sized country town in the S.E. Wheatbelt of W.A., in a truck.
I was just picking up speed on the town's outskirts, where the speed limit went back up to 110kmh.
I was puzzled as to what the Dugite was doing, as they are usually cowardly and will slither away from humans, vehicles, and noise.
As I got closer, I saw there was a little bird crouched by the LHS of the road, and it was transfixed by the snakes gaze.
As I got within 100 metres of the pair, the noise of the truck snapped the bird out of its trance, and it fluttered away, to the left.
The Dugite instantly reared up as the bird commenced its flight, and crossed the full width of the highway, up on the last 18" of its tail, lunging at the bird - and it crossed the 8M wide sealed portion in an elapsed time of maybe 2 seconds, or less. It was quite amazing to watch.
However... the lunge was fruitless, the bird got away, and the snake went hungry... :)

Interesting site below, regarding Australian snakes. There is one fellow I have no desire to meet... the highly aggressive Inland Taipan, with fangs that can penetrate a leather boot with ease, and with venom 50 times more deadly than a Cobra... :(

Treatment of Australian Snake Bites (http://www.anaes.med.usyd.edu.au/venom/snakebite.html)

Juliet Sierra Papa
8th Oct 2011, 22:07
@ onetrack, good story but absolute myth by a long shot. Fastest snake in the world can barely make 18 kms per hour and birds (or anything else) do not get transfixed by the gaze of an almost blind reptile.

vulcanised
8th Oct 2011, 22:44
Birds may not get transfixed by a gaze but there have been many instances where they have been observed to be mesmerised by snakes.

Mike X
8th Oct 2011, 22:54
Worst is the trouser snake. One suffers for years (both parties).

tony draper
8th Oct 2011, 23:03
Apparently there is only one species of poisonous snake,cant remember what they call it now.
:rolleyes:

Mike X
8th Oct 2011, 23:07
It ain't the snake, Sir, 'tis the hole it inhabits. :ooh:

larssnowpharter
8th Oct 2011, 23:49
Often listed as one of the most venomous snakes is the Philippine Cobra. We used to have a few near the house until a small dog we took in decided to reduce the population.

Dog is about the size of a cat with long legs and is a nimble little thing with a Riki Tiki Tavi complex.

For a year she would leave a dead snake (cobra) on the rear door step about once a month. Only once did I see her take one on and wish I could have caught it on cam.

Dog's name: 'Useless'.

Flash2001
8th Oct 2011, 23:55
Working at a transmitter site near Gainesville FL. There was a pile of cut off cable in one corner (Black maybe 1 1/2" O.D.) Taking a break and noticed that some of the cable was moving. It was a black snake about 5 ft long and he (I think) couldn't figure out why none of the lovely ladies were responding to him. We tossed him out on to the heat exchanger pad in the sun and I've never seen an animal go that fast before or since. We later described it to locals and asked if it was poisonous. "Some of them are and some aren't."

After an excellent landing etc...

mini
8th Oct 2011, 23:58
Dog's name: 'Useless'.

Ya might want to revise that :ok:

Worrals in the wilds
9th Oct 2011, 00:42
18km an hour is still pretty fast, certainly faster than I can run. In my experience also, carpet snakes can get quite tetchy. They're certainly much less timid than a lot of snakes; once they find a spot to sunbathe they're not easy to move.

One of my bushie cousins had a carpet snake living in the roof of her homestead. It was very useful as it kept down the rats and mice, although you had to get used to thumps and bumps from the roof at odd times. It was pretty big, a couple of metres long. There was a way out but it seemed to be happy up there, so the arrangement suited everyone nicely.

Anyway, the time came when she needed some electrical work done. The junior sparky sent to do the job was fresh out of Brisbane, where people don't generally keep large snakes in their roof. Apparently it hadn't been covered in his TAFE course either, and my cousin didn't think to mention it. :ooh:

About five minutes after disappearing up into the roof, my cousin was nearly hit by an electrican pretty much falling down the manhole without thought for his ladder, white faced, shaking and spluttering the word 'ssnsnsnsnsnnake' over and over again. Apparently they'd met face to face in the torchlight and given each other a bit of a fright. :eek:

She gave him a cup of tea and reassured him that carpet snakes aren't deadly (though they do bite), it was quite tame and it was a big roof so there should be plenty of room for both of them, but he wasn't going up there again for love or money. She found some other ground level work for him to do and asked the electrical company to send a local next time. :ouch:

Anthill
9th Oct 2011, 02:32
My wife and I encountered a 2m Brown snake on a path in the Blue Mountains west of Sydney. The thing just looked at us and growled, GRRRR... I never knew that they could growl.

We abandond the idea of a picnic, back tracked to the car and had lunch at the Pub.

ONE GREEN AND HOPING
9th Oct 2011, 14:52
.........Yikes!.... Venomous and lethal Serpents....We who live here in Merrie England can't hope to compete with an account of being chased by a vindictive Brown Snake, or squishing a giant Anaconda with a Toyota Land-Cruiser. However, I feel as a matter of national pride, that I should mention my rescue of a useful slug-munching Slow-Worm that I spotted one of our cats annoying on the lawn this Summer.( Anguis fragilis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anguis_fragilis) )

Of course, we do have a handful of Adders in one or two places in the UK, but they are hard to tread on, even if you can find them. The only time I can personally attest to sighting a Green Mamba close up, and one that wasn't safely behind inch thick glass in a zoo, was whilst in the process of beaching a sailing dinghy. ( Horseshoe bay, Freetown ) It shot off so fast, I didn't have time to cringe in cold terror. Apart from an occasional Slow Worm, the only wiggly thing to be found near where I live, and with quite possibly a nasty bite if taken by surprise, works behind the bar in our village pub. Even our Spiders are capable of only a tickle, if exceptionally they happen to use your face as a short cut. For a while we did have a nine inch diameter Tarantula in our house, but that was mummified/freeze-dried, and one of a few that my own and other children pestered me to bring home during a period when our company had a slip pattern in Bogota. For a while, and until alerted by one blood-curdling scream from a female dinner guest, it remained where my son had super-glued it close to the ceiling of the down-stairs lav.

In my case, I have really only one reason to recall a brush with a particular version of the elongate reptile, but once again, it was a long way from our gaff. Its venom, as I've just re-checked, is not too threatening to a healthy adult.

Thus.....in May 1972, spent a few days 'free of duty' together with other aircrew members in Phoenicia, a small village in New York State. The hotel supplied some line plus a couple of hooks, one of which I attached to a long stick sourced from the adjacent woods. I then spent a probably fruitless, but pleasant few hours fishing at the river close by. A small dog that belonged to the hotel had followed me, and continued to make an occasional appearance. At one point, I was standing on the river bank re-casting, when I felt what I assumed to be the aforesaid mutt nudging the back of my knee. When I turned around, I discovered that I was standing on the tail of an inconvenienced Copperhead. I know that this is nothing to compare with Mambas or anything much that slithers, scuttles, or crawls in Australia, but it meant something to me. I used to keep Grass Snakes in my pockets as a schoolboy in Dorset (UK)....plus a Salamander and several Jackdaws, but none of these budget level pets represented a threat to my health in any form. ( Maybe a flustered over-heated Jackdaw - just once - whilst on the way to fly it in Hyde Park, near where my family lived in London. We were on a double-decker bus when it took off for some frenzied cooling circuits and crapped on several very angry passengers.......close call )

Anyway, back to the river, and being young and less considerate of wildlife in those days, I rather meanly 'dispatched' what I later learned was a Copperhead, and not unusually found on river banks in those parts. All this was so that I could selfishly show off my trophy to the others..........About the second person I met was my Captain, who....how-they-say-in-America.....freaked out - since he had a serious phobia about snakes. I shouldn't have pretended that it was still alive.

Some time, maybe a few days or weeks later on, we were all in that revolving restaurant at the top of a tower on the Canadian side of Niagara Falls. Being respectful of our commander, we kept him a seat by the window. It turned out that he had a serious phobia about heights. We trod fairly carefully from then on.........( He was fine with shell-fish and peanuts. ) My logbook shows that he gave me the landing on the following leg into Washington, so I know he never held a grudge.

( In point of fact, the above non-snake person had survived being crammed in to a WW2 Beaufighter as an observer/Nav, plus later flown those Sapphire engined RAF Javelins as a pilot, so maybe he was entitled to have a phobia or two. )

I don't know if they still have that snake market in the street near the Golden Shopping Arcade in Kowloon, HKG. My children loved that. Boxes and cages of squirming snakes are something to behold, although we stopped short of choosing one for lunch.

I've just spent about an hour with all the links on this thread, and the revelations about the snake population around Melbourne were riveting, and a complete surprise. Despite four postings to Sydney, including short layovers in other Australian city centres, I don't recall much mention of snakes, if at all. One visitor we had to stay from UK, cut short the visit, seriously spooked having read about local spiders. On a walk through the woods together with others, it didn't help when in order to take her mind off such concerns, we got her to help keep a careful lookout for the Tree-Crocs........That never bothered her at all.

P.S.
Damn!..........looks as if I might be wrong........stuffed the above into draft just now whilst I Googled British spiders and picked up this from the Daily Fright.
Warning over rise in UK's most dangerous spider due to warmer winters | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-452264/Warning-rise-UKs-dangerous-spider-warmer-winters.html)

onetrack
9th Oct 2011, 16:10
JSP - You can scoff all you like, I've seen and dealt with a lot of snakes over more than 55 years, and I know what I saw... and it was going so fast I could hardly believe it myself.
It was most certainly doing a whole lot more than 18kmh, despite what websites say. In hot weather, all reptiles speed up, and it was a very hot day, that day.

It was a really slim snake, and I viewed it from about 25 metres away, as it crossed at 90 to the direction I was walking. The country was open scrubland, and I watched it come from about 30 on my left, until it disappeared away to my right, about 80 metres away. It covered that approximately 100 metres in less than 10 seconds. I will swear an oath on any Bible as to the truth of what I saw.

The only other reptile I have seen move that fast is a "racehorse" goanna, and this was no goanna, it was wriggling. Maybe I saw a racehorse goanna wearing a snakeskin suit... :p

I can also assure you the bird was crouching and paralysed with fear, and not moving a muscle. Transfixed, mesmerised, call it what you like... how does a bird know whether a snake can see?
They see a fearsome reptile, head raised in a striking position, and that would be enough to make me "transfixed" if I was a little bird, and I knew I was about to become a snake meal!

rh200
10th Oct 2011, 00:45
despite what websites say. In hot weather, all reptiles speed up, and it was a very hot day, that day.

The trouser snake has been known to move extremely fast when the appropriate prey is in sight.:p

Pappa Smurf
10th Oct 2011, 00:52
Ive had a few experiences where the result has been a few skid marks on the undies.Once i jumped a small creek from a high bank to a lower one and was comitted to the jump when i saw a snake coiled up ,rearing its head and having a hissing fit,right on my landing zone.Thank god he was a rapid thinker because he buggered off before i landed.

rottenray
10th Oct 2011, 01:14
We have many of these in the US, mostly in the southwest:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d7/Crotalus_atrox_USFWS.jpg/800px-Crotalus_atrox_USFWS.jpg

As a former Arizona resident who grew up hiking in the boonies, I can mimic the sound the Diamondback Rattlesnake makes.

A bit offside, my roommate's safe makes the same noise when he spins the dial to clear it before entering the combo.

The great majority of poisonous snakes will shy away from contact - they use venom to subdue food and don't like to waste it if it won't be getting them a meal.

However, some like to spew it continuously.

Texas has this:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2f/Rick_Perry_by_Gage_Skidmore_3.jpg/516px-Rick_Perry_by_Gage_Skidmore_3.jpg

Arizona has this:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e1/John_McCain_official_portrait_2009.jpg

Delaware has this:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3d/Christine_O%27Donnell_by_Gage_Skidmore.jpg/436px-Christine_O%27Donnell_by_Gage_Skidmore.jpg

So, be careful...

Cheers!
R

Rollingthunder
10th Oct 2011, 02:05
do snakes serve any purpose?

do cockroaches serve any purpose?

cavortingcheetah
10th Oct 2011, 02:53
While Arizona may be home to the Crotalus Cerberus, it's Illinois which harbors, even in Chicago, the Sistrurus Catenatus, known by the colorful local name of the Massasauga. It's on the Illinois endangered species list and is a strong candidate for the federal endangered or threatened species list. There are no rattlesnakes in Hawaii. Anthropologists apparently cannot determine whether such reptiles were ever natural to those Pacific Islands.

Gnadenburg
10th Oct 2011, 05:21
This idyllic picture in the Phillipines doesn't show the moment of terror when I almost stood on one of those sea snakes in the top ten list. Yep, I know, I'd be more at risk walking back through the forest from the beach, and encountering the local cobra.

The sea snake is amazing. They disappear and reappear 20 ft away as they burrow through the light sand.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff187/coronatower/DSC00558.jpg

Gnadenburg
10th Oct 2011, 05:25
And Australia. Everywhere I've lived is infested with the top ten deadliest snakes.

Taipan & King Brown the most unnerving for me. The taipan because I tried to get one out of my outdoor loo/shower once. Even with a long broom the fast striking terrifying. And the King Brown is just very big. I had one rear up at the aircraft once on landing.

Pinky the pilot
10th Oct 2011, 06:47
Was sitting on the banks of the Murray River near the Waikerie Airfield in South Australia with a Lady friend one fine day a number of years ago and was dangling my feet in the river whilst drowning worms. (Attempting to catch a few fish)

Lady friend quietly asked me if I noticed the Tiger snake swim into a hole in the river bank just under where I was sitting.:eek::eek:

We quickly moved to another spot further down river and were only there for about fifteen minutes when Lady friend called my name several times, again quietly but sounding terrified. When I looked at her she pointed to a spot about six feet away from her.

At that spot, coiled up seemingly asleep was one of the largest King Browns I had ever seen.:eek: And I regularly saw seven to eight footers in the outback whilst working on a Seismic crew.

We decided that a drink or three at the Gliding Club bar was a far better option than continuing to try to catch a few fish. They weren't biting anyway and I had been snagged three times already, losing hooks and sinkers each time.:mad::mad:

Quite often came across the Small Scaled Fierce Snake (otherwise known, incorrectly, as the Inland Taipan) whilst working on the Seismic crew but always gave them a wide berth!

Worrals in the wilds
10th Oct 2011, 14:34
Great date, Pinky :eek: (just kidding!)
I didn't know sea snakes came onto the land, interesting. I've dived with them at Ningaloo Reef (NW West Aus) and they're really cute; small, brightly coloured and friendly, they'll wrap themselves around your arm if you let them, then swim off using their tails as a paddle.

Of course they're really deadly, but they don't seem to have an attitude about it :). Apparently they only get aggro if you hang onto them and they feel like they can't get away, because they need to get to get to the surface to breathe.

Storminnorm
10th Oct 2011, 14:42
I always thought that Sea Snakes had poisonous fangs that were
further back in their mouths than the fangs of land snakes.
Just something I heard on the TV years ago.

Worrals in the wilds
10th Oct 2011, 15:01
That does sound familiar.
The Ningaloo regulars told us that they have a very weak bite that can't usually penetrate human skin except in thin parts like the webbing between your fingers, so they definitely couldn't get through neoprene.

ONE GREEN AND HOPING
10th Oct 2011, 20:03
Whatever.......

????? ????? ::.. Choose Your Channel - Cleaning the cobra pit (http://www.4cyc.com/play-YIMigVo1pyA)

Hydromet
13th Oct 2011, 22:52
One of the lesser known snakes over here is the Vinder's Green Viper. It is well known for getting into cars and trucks through the engine bay, whence it makes its way onto the bonnet and eventually onto the windscreen, where it stretches out and basks in the sun. Gives you quite a shock when you get into the car.
We also have one that is often found on construction sites, the Steppl Adder, discovered by the German herpetologist Gustave Steppl at the beginning of the 20th C. The bloke over the road found one next to the wall of the shed he was building.