PDA

View Full Version : Tarrant Rushton V-Bombers

airsmiles
1st Oct 2011, 21:01
Following on from the other V-Bomber thread, does anyone have any details or photos of these wonderful aircraft at Tarrant Rushton? When did they visit? For how long?

I live nearby and would love to know more.

airsmiles

pasir
1st Oct 2011, 21:54
some info comes up if you type in ' v bombers at tarrant rushton'

I can recall being surprised and amazed when years ago was routing from Compton Abbas towards Hurn and for the first time viewed T R from the air - Huge !

aviate1138
2nd Oct 2011, 06:27
According to Google's historical 1945 image there was no airfield at Tarrant Rushton on January 1st 1945? Is that really true or is the image displayed proof of a superb camouflage technique? Or is it an earlier aerial pic?

POBJOY
2nd Oct 2011, 08:25
One of a number of bases made 'available' (58-65) for emergency use by Valiants under potential war emergency conditions. The records show TR had a turnaround loop on the runway constructed as the peritrack was not suitable for Valiant use.
Apparantly used in 1961 as a dispersal site for an excercise.
Current Google image clearly shows the remains of these post war additions.
TR association with Flight Refuelling and that companies association with Valiants air-air use no doubt may have seen Valiants position there during development work,Sea Vixens also operated there, Air to Air ref and drone use.

airsmiles
5th Oct 2011, 03:23
Thanks for the information but there doesn't seem to be much about re; the V-bomber era. I used to work for Flight Refuelling so know about the Sea Vixens.